Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old February 23 2012, 01:57 PM   #1291
Trek
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Rocketeer wrote: View Post
Sounds like you've got the dilithium mining down to a science. What rate are you trading it for or are you just holding it for now?

I'm holding off for now. I'd like to see it drop to around 200 before I buy and I've got plenty more mining to do before I need to convert it anyway (I'd be tempted to spend if I converted it now).

I did discover last night that you can complete the Kerret mission in around 5 mins if you hop instances. That's a potential return of 172380 dilithium per hour! (but would get really boring, really quickly.)
Twitter: @Trek88
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2012, 10:29 PM   #1292
Harvey
Admiral

Anyone here had luck beating the option objectives on the Khitomer or Infected STF ground missions? I never even get close. It took a long time to beat the optional objective on the Khitomer space mission, but I finally did.

(Only at Normal Difficulty; beyond that seems impossible).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2012, 11:44 PM   #1293
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Harvey wrote: View Post
Anyone here had luck beating the option objectives on the Khitomer or Infected STF ground missions? I never even get close. It took a long time to beat the optional objective on the Khitomer space mission, but I finally did.

(Only at Normal Difficulty; beyond that seems impossible).
Yes, in part. Khitomer is easy.
It just depends on quickly taking out the big room asap and people knowing how to blow the generators.
Infected is a different matter. Never succeeded there.
You have to kill all Borg very fast, and be at exactly the right spots at the right moment.
The workers assimilating the officers are triggered by proximity and aggro in the rooms while the whole optional is on a 15 minute timer. There is no margin for error at all.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2012, 11:46 PM   #1294
syberghost
Commander

View syberghost's Twitter Profile

Yeah, Gozer's goals on the STF optionals were pretty specific:

1) Takes an actively-participating group...
2) ...who know what they're doing
3) Most people will never get it

It's intended to be something special for people who put in the time and the research.
syberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 12:46 AM   #1295
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

syberghost wrote: View Post
3) Most people will never get it
As the stupid loot system makes based on how you roll
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 12:49 AM   #1296
Harvey
Admiral

Maybe we should have a TrekBBS fleet run through of the Khitomer mission sometime soon. I'm tired of playing with inexperienced players who don't know what to do (keeping in mind that I managed to fuck up The Cure space mission a few times before I figured out what to do).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 01:17 AM   #1297
Scout101
Admiral

I'd be up for it, been running plenty of STFs lately. Usually put a call out for TrekBBS members before I go into the EliteSTF channel. Played with Daizen a bunch of times...

KA Space Elite has been my focus at the moment, in the vain attempt to try and get another piece of the MK XII set...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 02:20 AM   #1298
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Infected is a different matter. Never succeeded there.
You have to kill all Borg very fast, and be at exactly the right spots at the right moment.
Basically, you have to split up your team. Two take care of the workers and save the redshirt, while the other three deal with the other drones, especially the heavies.
And yes, you have to move very fast. It is perfectly doable, though. I succeed all the time when I run IGE with my fleet.

The workers assimilating the officers are triggered by proximity and aggro in the rooms while the whole optional is on a 15 minute timer. There is no margin for error at all.
Some dedicated people actually made a very nice map that shows all the trigger lines (red) among other things.

http://i1245.photobucket.com/albums/...Infected-1.jpg

Never cross any of those lines unless you're about to charge into the next room.

Here's a vid of on of our runs, so you can get an idea on how to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=URyOfosGk1g

Last edited by Ayelbourne; February 24 2012 at 02:39 AM.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 03:12 AM   #1299
syberghost
Commander

View syberghost's Twitter Profile

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
Some dedicated people actually made a very nice map that shows all the trigger lines (red) among other things.

Never cross any of those lines unless you're about to charge into the next room.

Now that that's out, you might wanna move fast; Cryptic practically invented the concept of changing a raid to defeat widely-publicized methods of winning. They used to change Hamidon every few months to shake up raid strategy.

If everybody is avoiding those lines, Gozer will move them, or change the trigger.
syberghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 03:50 AM   #1300
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

syberghost wrote: View Post
Ayelbourne wrote: View Post

Now that that's out, you might wanna move fast; Cryptic practically invented the concept of changing a raid to defeat widely-publicized methods of winning. They used to change Hamidon every few months to shake up raid strategy.

If everybody is avoiding those lines, Gozer will move them, or change the trigger.
That, was why I gave up on Hamidon. The rewards, while good, wasn't enough to make up for the frustration of figuring out the encounter again and again and again. Then again, I don't play Cryptic games for raid encounters, I had EverQuest for that. No, I play Cryptic games because of the stories they can tell. CoH, CoV, CO all had pretty interesting stories, but sadly the stories in STO are just not up to par with what Cryptic has done in other games.
Old February 24 2012, 04:45 AM   #1301
J. Allen
Best Pony™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I'm saving up dilithium to exchange for C-points so I can buy more space for my Doffs. I never thought I'd pass 100 slots, but man, I'm already there.
-=- My Patron Saint is Twilight Sparkle -=-
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 06:03 AM   #1302
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Rocketeer wrote: View Post
You can also open Wordpad, Word or Paint (or almost any office program). When you press Print Screen, switch to the program you opened and hit Paste. This is a low tech work around. Using the screenshot folder is still your best option.

Worked! thanks.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood

Last edited by sbk1234; February 24 2012 at 06:14 AM.
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 08:07 AM   #1303
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I'm saving up dilithium to exchange for C-points so I can buy more space for my Doffs. I never thought I'd pass 100 slots, but man, I'm already there.
I find 100 to be a nice number and don't need more since I can only send my doffs out on a maximum of 20 assignments. With another 10 doffs on space or ground duty, I typically have the remaining 40-50 doffs just idling around doing nothing. Instead, I now try to maintain an even number of doffs of each type as I slowly increase the number of uncommon/rare/very rare doffs. Besides, dismissing a doff earns me development xp so I don't find it a loss.
Old February 24 2012, 08:47 AM   #1304
Darth Thanatos
Lieutenant Junior Grade

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Heh. I know the feeling.

intrinsical wrote: View Post
I find 100 to be a nice number and don't need more since I can only send my doffs out on a maximum of 20 assignments. With another 10 doffs on space or ground duty, I typically have the remaining 40-50 doffs just idling around doing nothing. Instead, I now try to maintain an even number of doffs of each type as I slowly increase the number of uncommon/rare/very rare doffs. Besides, dismissing a doff earns me development xp so I don't find it a loss.
I'm actually debating into acquiring 100 doffs more AND 25 more doff mission slots, but the dil grind for that is somewhat annoying. I want to get all renowns, already have two (delta volanis and rolor nebula), plus the "guinan" doff.

On the Contraband, I tend not to part with it, because it's needed for the "build turret/platform from prototype plans" doff mission. I have 11 assorted turret plans waiting to get the mission to build them, and about 25 contraband. I have two already built.
Darth Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 11:19 AM   #1305
Rocketeer
Captain

On the DOFFs, I found that 125 or 150 is a good workable number.

More than that and you'll have doffs that aren't employed. Less than that and you'll be thin in a few areas. I try to have 3 or 4 DOFFs for most specializations. On specializations that correspond to the char's field, I may have more. That is a Tac char would have additional sec/tac doffs, Engr char would have additional engr/ops doffs and Sci chars would have additional med/sci doffs.

Next time you collect your doff rewards, stop and look at the entire roster:
- Do you have the doffs you need in your Space and Ground slots?
- Do you have extra rare or very rare doffs that could be better utilized on another of your characters? Just mail the doffs to them.
- Do you have too many commons or uncommon in a certain specialization? Send them to your other chars or sell on the Exchange then use the funds to buy what you need.
- You can pick up a few extra doffs from the doff POC for a small amount of dilithium. Recommend that you only do that for doffs to fill critical shortages though.
- You can also dismiss surplus doffs for a small amount of dilithium.

Considering FEDCON 23 in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 1 Jun 2014

Last edited by Rocketeer; February 24 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote