Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 23 2012, 04:02 AM   #1711
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

I confess I haven't gone in for mods, just because they usually end up broken in the next update. There is one out there though that gives the water a more realistic wave/refective texture I've been wanting to try though.

Funny thing, I've been playing more single player recently than multiplayer. I really want to find some of those hard to find items I've been taking for granted on our multiplayer world.
Of course the downside as always is you die in SP. Lost a ton of valuable loot the other day while exploring a cave when a #$&^! Skeli kicked me off a cliff into a pool of lava.

Oh, I did start work on a new exhibit in the zoo. Digging out an underground room for cave spiders under the wolves den.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."

Last edited by Cutter John; February 23 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2012, 06:55 AM   #1712
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

There's one mod I always use, called Optifine. I need it to be able to play it at a bearable speed, because my computer is ass. Other than that they don't really interest me.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2012, 01:58 PM   #1713
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Optifine is awesome. And yeah, I don't really use client mods, either. They don't work with SMP so it's kind of pointless, since I don't play single-player much (if at all.)
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2012, 09:55 PM   #1714
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, the only client side mods I use are the minimap and Optifine. Those are the only ones that don't actively change anything in terms of content, but the minimap does give the ability to set waypoints which can be very useful.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 02:00 AM   #1715
Iasius
Rear Admiral

I've pretty much only played SP for months now, but the only mods I use are Optifine and Sonic Ether's Shaders mod. It's ridiculous how much hardware that last mod requires though. I mean, I've seen the creator of that mod complaining about how Minecraft with it runs worse than Crysis 2 on his PC.

However, it really is unbelievably pretty.
Old February 24 2012, 02:09 AM   #1716
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, a mod like that runs counter to the spirit of Minecraft, in my opinion. I can imagine the strain it would create. I have a hard enough time running regular Minecraft as is. My computer would likely just choke and die if I tried using that mod.
Old February 24 2012, 05:04 AM   #1717
Iasius
Rear Admiral

The spirit of Minecraft?
Old February 24 2012, 05:32 AM   #1718
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

In other news, this weeks napshot update features the addition of upside down stair blocks, and iron golems to defend villages against zombie attacks.

Looks like someone at Mojang is a Miyazaki fan.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old February 24 2012, 05:58 AM   #1719
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Iasius wrote: View Post
The spirit of Minecraft?
Well, people have asked Notch in the past if he'd ever add shaders to it and he'd said that it would never happen as shaders were in his opinion, not in the spirit of the game's original intent, wether that will change in the future with Jeb now the main lead on it, I don't know. Maybe with the upcoming mod API. But in my opinion, they can be viewed the same as HD textures, in that they run counter to the game's vision if used excessively. Some run super high-res textures aiming to be realistic combined with advanced shaders adding bumpmapping of all things, and that I feel misses the point of the retroness of the game. GLSL shaders in particular. Not a knock on the shader at all, but rather a point of view on the whole idea of shaders in general in minecraft. I just find it ironic overall that people are using shaders on what's supposed to be a retro looking game. That said though, I find the dynamic shadows to be far more subtle than most shaders out there, so they're not so bad. They don't tend to stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest.

Last edited by Owain Taggart; February 24 2012 at 06:47 AM.
Old February 24 2012, 06:06 AM   #1720
Atrocities
Ensign

If you like Star Trek minecraft builds then I would like to suggest that you check out my builds. LINK TO SITE

Each of my builds are to scale, fully explorable with complete interiors and include such ships as the Constitution, Intrepid (Voyager), Nova, Oberth, Miranda, Federation, San Palo (Defiant), along with a few kit bash ships such as the Yamato, Longbow, Augustus, and Picon.

Each build is downloadable in either a schematic file or world save. (Hurry, once you update to version 1.2 MC, you won't be able to use MC edit until, and if, it is ever updated again.

Old February 24 2012, 07:39 AM   #1721
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
Iasius wrote: View Post
The spirit of Minecraft?
Well, people have asked Notch in the past if he'd ever add shaders to it and he'd said that it would never happen as shaders were in his opinion, not in the spirit of the game's original intent, wether that will change in the future with Jeb now the main lead on it, I don't know. Maybe with the upcoming mod API. But in my opinion, they can be viewed the same as HD textures, in that they run counter to the game's vision if used excessively. Some run super high-res textures aiming to be realistic combined with advanced shaders adding bumpmapping of all things, and that I feel misses the point of the retroness of the game. GLSL shaders in particular. Not a knock on the shader at all, but rather a point of view on the whole idea of shaders in general in minecraft. I just find it ironic overall that people are using shaders on what's supposed to be a retro looking game. That said though, I find the dynamic shadows to be far more subtle than most shaders out there, so they're not so bad. They don't tend to stick out like a sore thumb compared to the rest.
I would consider adding things like curved surfaces to be against the spirit of the game.

Adding dynamic shadows and the like? I think that simply enhances the experience, rather than changing it fundamentally.

But yeah, it's incredibly tough on your hardware to run that shader mod. My framerate drops from close to 200 to about 40 with it, as I mentioned.
Old February 24 2012, 11:42 AM   #1722
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Atrocities wrote: View Post
If you like Star Trek minecraft builds then I would like to suggest that you check out my builds. LINK TO SITE

Each build is downloadable in either a schematic file or world save. (Hurry, once you update to version 1.2 MC, you won't be able to use MC edit until, and if, it is ever updated again.
Well done man, they look great.

And welcome aboard.
Old February 24 2012, 03:45 PM   #1723
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

About the most I'm willing to enhance Minecraft's graphics is to install 32x32 textures. I think the game looks a bit silly when you have all these blocks and low-poly mobs and then super high-res textures and fancy shaders. Just doesn't seem to go together, you know?
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 03:56 PM   #1724
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I quite like the idea of dynamic shadows, it always seemed silly that my mineshaft has a beam of light reaching all the way to the bottom all day long. But considering the performance issues with that mod I don't think my PC would be able to handle it, and I doubt that it will ever be added to the vanilla game.

Atrocities wrote: View Post
Those ships really are incredible, I spent a good few hours getting lost in them. Good work. Now do the Akira class.
Old February 24 2012, 07:12 PM   #1725
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I wonder how many people have been tempted to load the front of that thing up with TNT and try to recreate that scene from STIII...
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote