TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 2 2012, 11:53 PM   #316
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy
Re: Buffy season nine discussion thread

it all most looks like buffy/ringer crossover cover. lol

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 05:16 PM   #317
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Andrew Chambliss interview...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=36780

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 12:34 AM   #318
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

So, any thoughts on issue 6?

Let's just say I was pleasantly surprised by Joss having the cajones to go there, after so many in the fandom were assuming he won't even mention it and that this is just an expedient way to get to the canon version of baby!fic.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 05:20 AM   #319
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Wow. What an ending. It will be very interesting to see where they go with this. This was a great issue...I loved the Niki stuff and meeting her watcher, they seemed to have a really close relationship, like Giles and Buffy did. This season seems to be turning into the Spike and Buffy show as well. I enjoyed the conversation with the Detective. I really wish the art was more consistent...when we first see Detective (I have forgotten his name) I thought at first he was Angel. Dawn does not look like Michelle either, something I have been critical of since season eight.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; February 10 2012 at 03:14 PM.
Old February 10 2012, 04:04 PM   #320
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Wow. What an ending. It will be very interesting to see where they go with this. This was a great issue...I loved the Niki stuff and meeting her watcher, they seemed to have a really close relationship, like Giles and Buffy did. This season seems to be turning into the Spike and Buffy show as well. I enjoyed the conversation with the Detective. I really wish the art was more consistent...when we first see Detective (I have forgotten his name) I thought at first he was Angel. Dawn does not look like Michelle either, something I have been critical of since season eight.
I thought the art was the best so far this season as far as Buffy's book goes (Rebekah Issacs' art in Angel & Faith has been amazing from the start), Jeanty's best since #40. I'm often critical of his art because he tends to make Buffy look like she's 13 and his characters sometimes look to cartoonish and childlike, but his strength is in conveying emotion. I had no problems with his art in this issue, people looked adult enough and the emotions were really well drawn. He isn't the greatest with character likenesses, but few artists really get them all right. Robin Wood was the best likeness so far.

A page from the upcoming #7 (just art, no dialogue yet) has been posted on Allie's Twitter account: http://zamolxis.tumblr.com/post/1731...icon-and-asked
It looks really beautiful.

Jeanty will be taking a break for the issues 8-10 and Cliff Richards will step in. Richards is a really good artist, he drew 8.10 and he used to be the main artist for the old Dark Horse comics released at the time when the show was still on.

This was the first issue without Xander or Willow. I presume that Willow will get her own mini-series and only return later in the season. Xander's storyline will probably kick in later, the story right now is focused on Buffy, Spike, detective Dowling and

It was good to see Buffy confiding in Dawn, many people thought she and Xander were too distant from Buffy in the first arc. Dawn may be trying to keep away from the Slayer stuff, but she's there for Buffy for the personal stuff.

(I have to say that one line I really hated in this issue was Dawn's "Alcohol made me end up a giant, centaur and a doll". No, Dawn, alcohol didn't do that. Kenny did. )

The Nikki flashbacks were interesting to see, she's a very interesting character, but I wasn't too happy that Robin still seems to sort of resent his mother. That stuff how she wasn't "strong" enough to leave slaying? Strong? It's rather selfish from him, she was the only Slayer out there, there weren't thousands of Slayers as there are now, and if she's not doing her job, people are dying, but somehow he makes it seem like Slaying was some sort of pastime that she just couldn't give up. I don't know what the issue was trying to tell me with this, but if it was meant to make me think "bad Nikki" or to justify Spike's LMPTM crap that Nikki "didn't love him enough to quit", sorry, no. The idea that Crawley could have successfully replaced Nikki as the Slayer makes no sense. If Watchers were at good at slaying as Slayers, why don't they all take up slaying, instead of making teenage girls give up their lives for slaying? If a Watcher can be so good at it and not get killed, why do Slayers so often die young? Something's not making sense there.

Good characterization for Buffy and Spike in the issue, though the "a new character makes Spike talk about his feelings for Buffy" device is getting old. (I guess we can now add Dowling to the list of Spuffy shippers that already consists of Andrew and Koh. ) I loved the Buffy/Spike scene at the pool. Did he process the fact that she told him she was thinking of asking him to "run away with" her when she was still thinking of having the child. It's funny that she went straight into talking about abortion, apparently not remembering that he doesn't even know she's pregnant yet. I can imagine her planning the conversation in her head several times and telling him she's pregnant and asking him to raise the baby with her, and then changing her opinion along the way and preparing a speech about abortion.

I like that Buffy realized that it's not about being a mother and a Slayer and that she's not blaming her calling on her problems, she realizes that it's the Buffy part that's the problem now, not the Slayer, and that she has to sort herself out before being able to have a child. So glad they are treating it realistically and not promoting the "baby will bring her joy and she'll suddenly find purpose in life and everything will be fine" trope or the idea that she has to have a child despite being in the kind of circumstances she is, minimum wage, perhaps about to become homeless, a mess emotionally, and not even knowing who got her pregnant or how.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old February 10 2012, 04:14 PM   #321
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

As much as Robin resents Niki, from the way he was speaking to Buffy about her...it sounded like it isn't as strong as it once was. It was great to see her confide in him. Spike looked like he was about to cry when Buffy mentioned the abortion. I wonder if this will be a plot device used to bring them together finally?? The teasing has been increasing in my opinion as we've discussed before. I think I might have been too hard earlier...this season plot wise and character development has been great. It certainly is more low key, but that doesn't mean that stuff isn't happening!

Dark Horse May solicitations.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=36914

You know I was just thinking about Angel's plan to resurrect Giles...don't know why I didn't think about this earlier...this just seems like another one of his plans that is well intended but will end up having disastrous results. I can't imagine that Buffy will be pleased about this, given her own experience with her friends resurrecting her. Has Angel learned nothing? It will be interesting to see what actually happens.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; February 10 2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old February 22 2012, 02:58 PM   #322
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Huzzah. Robin Wood. I'd been wondering where the hell he'd gone, since appearing in two panels of Season 8 #6, he vanished and was never mentioned again. What was he doing during all the S8 shennagins.

I only got the issue last night, and have just been looking through some of Whedonesque (as I avoided it having not read the issue) gee people seem to be trying to make a bigger deal as possible about this. Sick of reading stupid interviews with Joss, Andrew Chambliss or Scott Allie asking "who is the father?" "will Buffy go ahead with the (spoiler)?" etc
What a stupid question, like they'd just reveal it.... although saying that they were dumb enough to spoil the Twilight reveal so maybe, I look forward to a future new cover image revealing who the father is months before I read it in the issue
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 03:06 PM   #323
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

They've revealed other spoilers though for this season that have been documented in this thread through conversation or interviews as I believe Devil Eyes has pointed out before. Totally avoiding mentioning spoilers these days is nearly impossible IMO, being a spoiler junkie myself I don't mind much, but understand those who like to be surprised would go ape shit about it.

Re: Robin...I could be wrong or just not remembering at the moment, but I don't think we know what Robin has been doing since he was last seen. In fact I was pleasantly surprised that Buffy confided to Robin in the first place and wasn't expecting to see him. It makes total sense now, but for whatever reason I didn't think about Robin. It was really nice to see him and get some more awesome back story for Niki.

Old February 22 2012, 03:18 PM   #324
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
What a stupid question, like they'd just reveal it.... although saying that they were dumb enough to spoil the Twilight reveal so maybe, I look forward to a future new cover image revealing who the father is months before I read it in the issue
Oddly enough, they

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old February 28 2012, 04:56 PM   #325
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

June previews for Angel and Faith and Buffy...Buffy has a pretty neat Crisis on Infinite Earths homage cover.

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multime...id=4067&page=2

Old February 28 2012, 05:31 PM   #326
Ethros
Vice Admiral

So Angel's back in LA...

Here's hoping then there'll be at least an appearance of one of the gang
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28 2012, 06:56 PM   #327
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
June previews for Angel and Faith and Buffy...Buffy has a pretty neat Crisis on Infinite Earths homage cover.

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multime...id=4067&page=2
It might also be an homage to Marvel's Dark Phoenix saga:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...Uncanny136.jpg

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old February 29 2012, 01:00 AM   #328
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Oh yeah that is more likely given Joss's affection for the Marvel U.

Old February 29 2012, 02:07 AM   #329
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

The first miniseries of season 9 is announced... and the character it focuses on is (be careful, this is very spoilery)

article

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
Old February 29 2012, 02:13 AM   #330
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

That makes sense given her appearance recently.