New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 21 2012, 02:55 PM   #376
Christopher
Writer

Re: "Castle" season 4 begins tonight

Jax wrote: View Post
As much as I enjoyed the 2 parter, I really hope this is the last 24 esq story they do because its getting a little too silly even for Castle. A Boston Detective and writer have stopped an Nuclear attack on Boston and now world war 3 or at the least the USA from being crippled.
Boston???? The show is set in New York City. They even did some location filming in NYC for this one (though the production is based in LA).

The show really has issues with cliffhangers, the opening act was akward with so many things seemingly going wrong (Chair, Belt, Gun) and shouldn't her gun not work under water?
If I recall the lessons of Mythbusters correctly, it could probably get one shot off, but would be likely to jam thereafter.

What I found silly was that Beckett's car wasn't equipped with the kind of emergency hammer that's in increasingly common use these days, a simple tool you keep in your glove compartment which can be used to break open a car window if you crash in the water. Heck, I have one of those in my own glove compartment -- and it includes a blade for cutting the strap of a jammed seatbelt, as well as a built-in flashlight (and a tire gauge, but that's not relevant here). I'd think police vehicles would be equipped with such emergency tools as a matter of course.

Not to mention, how exactly does one shoot a seatbelt off? I assume she meant shooting the latch to break it open, but that's an iffy proposition and could send dangerous shrapnel flying into them.

I guess I'm not surprised by who the traitor turned out to be. They telegraphed the red-herring suspect a bit too obviously, if only because he and Sophia were the only significant guest characters who hadn't been eliminated yet.

I found the portrayal of the CIA too cartoony here, with the fancy underground command center and the instant magic hacking powers. I guess I've gotten used to (what I assume is) the more realistic portrayal of the agency in Covert Affairs.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 03:16 PM   #377
Forbin
Admiral

Yeah, we knew it had to be her.

And I have one of those hammers in a bracket right on my car door in easy reach. I remember too clearly a story my father heard when he was on the ambulance corps, about someone who burned to death in their car because the seatbelt was stuck, and the rescuers succumbed to a stupid reflex that you shouldn't break someone's car window.

Shooting underwater: The few times I've seen it tested with a semi-auto pistol, it fires fine, once, then the density and drag of the water prevents the slide from cycling reliably, and the shell from ejecting all the way. You could probably rack the slide for follow-up shots, IF a shell hasn't jammed, and IF you're not drowning.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 03:25 PM   #378
Jax
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
As much as I enjoyed the 2 parter, I really hope this is the last 24 esq story they do because its getting a little too silly even for Castle. A Boston Detective and writer have stopped an Nuclear attack on Boston and now world war 3 or at the least the USA from being crippled.
Boston???? The show is set in New York City.
Yeh I don't know why I said Boston.
Old February 22 2012, 01:16 AM   #379
Christopher
Writer

Forbin wrote: View Post
Shooting underwater: The few times I've seen it tested with a semi-auto pistol, it fires fine, once, then the density and drag of the water prevents the slide from cycling reliably, and the shell from ejecting all the way. You could probably rack the slide for follow-up shots, IF a shell hasn't jammed, and IF you're not drowning.
Anyone know what kind of pistol Beckett uses? I'm reading Heat Rises now and it says Nikki Heat uses a type of gun called a Sig-Sauer (which is a name I remember because for a while I thought people were saying "Six-Hour" when they mentioned it on cop shows), and I'd tend to expect that Beckett would use the same since the character's based on her, but I can't tell by looking.

Old February 22 2012, 01:26 AM   #380
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I found this Christopher which outlines the types of guns used in the series. As the link says Kate has switched pistols since the start of the series.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Castle#Pistols

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 01:48 AM   #381
Christopher
Writer

Okay, looks like Beckett's sidearm is a Glock, but is that semiautomatic?

Old February 22 2012, 02:00 AM   #382
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I don't think so since there is a pic of a Semi-Automatic .22 pistol down near the bottom of that list. Espo is holding it.

Old February 22 2012, 02:26 AM   #383
Christopher
Writer

According to Wikipedia, Glock pistols are indeed semi-automatic. Apparently any single-chambered, single-barrelled pistol is semi-automatic, and the gun Beckett had in this episode clearly wasn't a revolver, so there you go.

I Googled for "Glock underwater," and apparently firing one underwater will irreversibly damage the barrel due to the hydraulic pressure, the gun will probably jam quickly if it doesn't blow up in your hand, and the shock wave could damage your ears, eyes, or internal organs. Since Castle and Beckett were in an enclosed space when several shots went off, they should probably have died from organ damage. (There is a version of the Glock 17 that can be modified for underwater use, but Beckett apparently uses a 19 now.)

Old February 22 2012, 03:57 AM   #384
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Kate also has a backup Glock as pictured in that link. I'm going to have to watch the episode but it does sound like they were just taking creative licence or whatever to get them out of that situation. This happens all the time in order to drive the plot. I'm personally not bothered by these liberties but I guess they can be sometimes fun to discuss and debate about

Old February 22 2012, 04:20 AM   #385
Christopher
Writer

It's just one more symptom of what a cartoon this show has become. Realism hasn't been a concern of its makers for quite a while.

Old February 22 2012, 04:21 AM   #386
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I don't know what else to say since I have disagreed with you about this many times...I guess we just have two different views of the show. That doesn't deter my enjoyment or the quality of "Castle" at all for me.

Old February 22 2012, 10:55 AM   #387
Jax
Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
It's just one more symptom of what a cartoon this show has become. Realism hasn't been a concern of its makers for quite a while.
To be fair most of network TV cares nothing about realism, thats cable's job more than not. Christopher do you enjoy the show anymore, theres nothing wrong with valid criticism of course and I pointed out some issues with the 2 parter myself but you seem to really dislike it these days.
Old February 22 2012, 11:02 AM   #388
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ This is kind of the point I was making last week when I said something akin to Christopher not really enjoying the show much any more. I wasn't knocking him personally but just was making an observation based on the majority of his posts in the thread. I have mentioned that I discovered "Castle" in the summer time and quickly caught up and it pretty much has had the same satire vibe all the way through since the start of the show. It's done a couple of goofy shows here and there, but to me that is just part of the tone and vibe Andrew Marlowe and the rest of the writers are attempting. This show isn't meant to be serious all the time. It doesn't take it's self too seriously despite dealing with some heavy subject matter and a overall arc that involves the unsolved murder of one of the lead character's mother. I don't really think it is ever going to change in this matter. Especially if Caskett fans get rewarded and Rick and Kate come together finally.

Old February 22 2012, 02:37 PM   #389
Forbin
Admiral

Oddly enough, I found a video of someone shooting a Glock underwater!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WIIKje1g2s

Looks like he may have had to cycle the slide manually once, but he didn't die.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 03:19 PM   #390
Christopher
Writer

Christopher do you enjoy the show anymore, theres nothing wrong with valid criticism of course and I pointed out some issues with the 2 parter myself but you seem to really dislike it these days.
Asked and answered earlier in the thread. I still enjoy the cast enough to keep watching, but the writing is a shadow of what it was in seasons 1-2.

Forbin wrote: View Post
Looks like he may have had to cycle the slide manually once, but he didn't die.
He could've suffered serious hearing damage, though, unless he was wearing earplugs or something. Heck, even people shooting indoors in air tend to wear ear protection when possible. To shoot in a swimming pool without ear protection would just be stupid. If nobody ever did anything stupidly dangerous in a YouTube video, YouTube would be a much smaller site.