RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,670
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 408
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 22 2012, 07:09 AM   #136
Gary Mitchell
Admiral

Re: How I Met Your Mother: Barney and... (Spoilers ahead...)

AliciaD496 wrote: View Post
Intellectually I knew Robin and Ted would never happen (she's been Aunt Robin to the kids since season 2 or so, if not from earlier I think) but I was still rooting for it to happen anyway. Last night was just heart breaking for me. Ted's so willing to throw his own happiness away for Robin and she just tosses it in his face time and again. Poor Ted, I hope they get closer to revealing the mother soon.
I agree. Robin ending up with Barney just seems wrong to me. I didn't really like Kevin but I would have preferred that he and Robin had gotten married.
Old February 22 2012, 07:43 AM   #137
Technobuilder
Commodore

We've seen the mother's foot in the apartment of the girl Ted dated for awhile. It was her roommate. So unless Robin was living with a roommate and they never put two and two together... No Dice.

It will NEVER be Robin.

Despite what Marshall did in saying "Not Yet" to Lily.

HOWEVER...

They could go a different Route and have the mother be named "ROBIN" too I guess.
"You fool! You've fallen victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous of which is "Never get involved in a land war in Asia", but only slightly less well known is this - "Never go in against a Sicilian, when death is on the line!"
Technobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 08:10 AM   #138
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^That could be. That way, Marshall could still win his bet.

So, who is Barney ending up with? We know it ends with a wedding. Does he get back with Nora or is it Robin? And isn't the wedding where Ted meets The Mother for the first time? I guess that means another year until they wrap this all up.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 12:30 PM   #139
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I can't decide if the wedding... which I think will be Robin and Barney... is at the end of this season or the next.
Old February 22 2012, 12:40 PM   #140
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Ted has said in the past that he meets the Mother at a wedding, yes. I think he has said this as far back as season two or three IIRC. I have no problem with Robin and Barney being together. I think fans consider it a bit weird because of Barney's behaviour over the years...but he and Robin seem to be a good couple. He loves her. I saw the tease about Ted and Robin (haven't actually seen many episodes this season unfortunately yet) and as much as I liked them together the best, they weren't gonna go that route again I don't think.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 03:10 PM   #141
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

They'll never get together unless the show is cancelled.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 03:47 PM   #142
tighr
Commodore

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
They'll never get together unless the show is cancelled.
Even if the show is cancelled, they have contingency mothers. It will never be Robin.
Old February 22 2012, 05:05 PM   #143
Scout101
Admiral

Yep, not gonna be Robin. And they've had 'contingency mothers' in every season so far, in case they had to wrap things up quickly. It could have been Vittoria, Stella, Rachel Bilson's character, and a couple others I'm sure I'm blanking on at the moment. Early seasons, they were on the cancellation bubble, so they always had an emergency 'out' if they needed to wrap up.

WOULD be nice if they moved things along, although the yellow umbrellas and ted's finally looking ready to move on hint that maybe we're moving again. Would be nice if he met her at the end of this season, and they actually spent the final season introducing her, ending with Ted getting married off and wrapping up the story that way.

Also, found it funny that when he was trying to take the mother to the movies this episode, the movie they couldn't get into was The Wedding Bride III, apparently the 3rd movie in the series about his failed engagement to Stella

One thing this series does really well is the callback jokes and continuity. Most episodes have tons of things like that thrown in there, really ties things together nicely. The blue horn being chained to the wall in the restuarant was a nice touch! Yellow umbrella was obvious. Sometimes it's little things, like when Marshall was stuck on the roof this year because the kid trapped him up there to have a party, and they showed the kid eating a sandwich. Go back a bit, and sandwhich is code in the story for the characters smoking weed. took a few minutes to figure that out, but then you get a good laugh out of it...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 06:43 PM   #144
Agent Richard07
Admiral

AliciaD496 wrote: View Post
Sorry to pull a little thread necromancy here...
This thread has been around for a few years and it was intended to be an ongoing discussion.

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
It will NEVER be Robin.

HOWEVER...

They could go a different Route and have the mother be named "ROBIN" too I guess.
That twist at the end was pretty bizarre. They wouldn't have put it there unless it meant something. Having the mother also be named Robin makes the most sense. I don't see how they could twist things to make our Robin the mother.

auntiehill wrote: View Post
So, who is Barney ending up with? We know it ends with a wedding. Does he get back with Nora or is it Robin?
For a while now I've been thinking that Nora will be back. Now I'm not so sure. They've done a good job of shaking things up again.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 07:01 PM   #145
firesoforion
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Technobuilder wrote: View Post
We've seen the mother's foot in the apartment of the girl Ted dated for awhile. It was her roommate. So unless Robin was living with a roommate and they never put two and two together... No Dice.

It will NEVER be Robin.

HOWEVER...

I agree, though actually the mother's name should be Theresa (I think that was what it was). There was one episode where he joked about a stripper being their mother, and the stripper had given her name, and I think that name was Theresa, so we know that much!

I also think that the Barney marriage question will be between Robin and that blonde girl that he met and was blowing him off, and I think he'll choose the other one. One problem is that Barney has decided firmly that he wants kids, too. And that's pretty in character considering he could only accept his brother's marriage when he found out they were going to adopt a kid. I really don't think they can wind up together.

Plus we have to find out about Robin's "shirt" guy, and if she winds up with anyone, I think it will be him. They did make a big deal about her "not being alone" because she had them, though, which would indicate she might not actually even get married.

I think they'll actually introduce the mother in the last episode, but there will be increasing amounts of build up of how their relationship develops before then, so that essentially we know everything that came before, and everything that came after, and the actual moment is in the last episode. Like we already know some of the things he finds really cool about her (plays bass, paints robots, has the same music), where they go on their first date, and when he first tells her he loves her. One thing I'd LOVE if they did is brought it back and had the mother be the girl from the dating service who he had cancelled on because of Robin. That would essentially mean that she and Ted were perfect for each other, but that Ted had needed to grow (he had said something in one episode about how this was also the story of how he became who he needed to be to get together with the mother). She might be a little too young for that, though...at any rate it would be cool if they brought that back.

Very funny about the sandwich and the movie, I did not notice either of those things!!
Old February 22 2012, 07:11 PM   #146
scnj
Captain

I'm not bothered about the identity of the mother. To me, the whole thing is just an excuse for Ted to tell stories about his cool insane friends. Hell, Ted is the least interesting of the bunch.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 07:12 PM   #147
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

^This is true. Ted seems to work only as a foil for the other characters lately. And frankly, compared to them, he's really not that interesting.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 09:04 PM   #148
scnj
Captain

^This is true. Ted seems to work only as a foil for the other characters lately. And frankly, compared to them, he's really not that interesting.
It's like Ross and Rachel in Friends. The early seasons were all about them, but the focus shifted in later seasons to Chandler, Joey and Monica. HIMYM doesn't really have that luxury, but Ted's part in the story seems to be the least important lately.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 22 2012, 09:21 PM   #149
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Guy Gardener wrote: View Post
What about the Goat on his birthday.

Have we got to the Goat?

They've cock teased us on that twice now.

Once Robin gets a good job, surely she's moving out.
Lilly brought it home because she didn't want it to be slaughtered in one episode.
Old February 22 2012, 09:27 PM   #150
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

scnj wrote: View Post
It's like Ross and Rachel in Friends. The early seasons were all about them, but the focus shifted in later seasons to Chandler, Joey and Monica. HIMYM doesn't really have that luxury, but Ted's part in the story seems to be the least important lately.
That's true for at least 1-2 seasons.. somewhere they missed the exit and the main storyline of how Ted met the mother of his kids got stale and uninteresting. No relationship Ted had was ever going to last because we knew she wasn't the mother so there was never any tension.

Back in season 1 and 2 it was a novelty when Ted met Robin and they hit it off in the pilot episode only for the surprising reveal that she was "just" aunt Robin to the kids but it was nicely written and even during their relationship in season 2 it was still funny.

Yet somehow the show has gotten stale.. from time to time it is still very funny or has some engaging storylines (last ones were the death of Marshall's dad or the drama between Robin and Barney recently).

However i only watch the show out of habit now and that's not a good sign.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote