Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 20 2012, 09:45 PM   #316
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

I'm about to start on The Red King after having just finished reading the last 15 chapters of Taking Wing in about 3 hours or so. I also finished Watching the Clock at about 4:30 or 5 this morning.
Old February 20 2012, 10:50 PM   #317
BritishSeaPower
Commander

View BritishSeaPower's Twitter Profile

Started Mission Gamma: Cathedral last night and already got through 150 pages! It's really well done, but then, I'm a big fan of Martin & Mangels as writers. That said, I do think it took too long to get to the "point" when it's stated on the back cover very plainly. As ever, the station-board stuff grips my interest far more than the Gamma material, though I think this Gamma story might be the one I liked the most. (If the Vahni from Twilight are one of the best "alien" aliens.)

I'm also currently reading The Iron Kingdom: The Rise and Downfall of Prussia, 1600-1947. It's pretty good, if I find the author assumes a level of familiarity with mid-16th/17th century history I don't really have. As well, I am a bit frustrated by the stream of consciousness-esque style of the prose. While I'm generally a fan of non-linear storytelling. Having a chapter start in 1701, jumping ahead 23 years just to discuss a coronation not occurring and then jumping back to 1648, without clearly differentiating between the Wilhelms, Friedrichs, Friedrich Williams and Johannes, can get annoying.
Old February 21 2012, 06:40 AM   #318
Destructor
Commodore

I finished 'A Singular Destiny' and did very much enjoy the ending (it does actually come to a pretty good point)- have now started on 'Losing the Peace'.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 08:00 AM   #319
Yevetha
Commodore

Diplomatic Implausibilty right now.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 04:24 PM   #320
Janos
Commander

View Janos's Twitter Profile

Finally made a big dent in ST novelverse pile.

Am currently on David Mack's Warpath. I think what follows are Fearful Symmetry & Soul Key and then I'm caught up on the pre-Destiny DS9 novels. Is that right? Nothing after Soul Key in DS9 novels prior to the big changes in Destiny?

After I get caught up on DS9, I may go right to Destiny. I already know about the big Voyager related plot point in Before Dishonor. I just want to get caught up to Typhon Pact (the ones that feature DS9 characters plus we have David George's duology this year too).

Once I get caught up to current TNGverse Trek lit, I'll go back and read a few of the pre-Destiny TNG books like Before Dishonor, Articles of the Federation, Battle of Betazed... essentially I have most of the books between Diplomatic Implausibility (which I read back in the day) and Destiny yet to read (Footnote: There were so many "Time To" books I only picked up the last one. Was it ever collected? Are the whole "Time To" books recommended?)

Plus I still have all the Lost Era books to read including Buried Age and Terok Nor (but I can read those anytime as they're set in the past).

Whew.... that's a lot of trek read'n onthe horizon, but I'm excited.
Star Trek: New Frontier, DS9 relaunch & DTI lit fan
Janos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 04:31 PM   #321
Christopher
Writer

Janos wrote: View Post
Am currently on David Mack's Warpath. I think what follows are Fearful Symmetry & Soul Key and then I'm caught up on the pre-Destiny DS9 novels. Is that right? Nothing after Soul Key in DS9 novels prior to the big changes in Destiny?
Essentially correct, although "Reservoir Ferengi" in the Seven Deadly Sins anthology does fill in the year after The Soul Key as far as Brunt, Gaila, and some other DS9 side characters are concerned.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 04:42 PM   #322
Sho
Fleet Captain

^ That in the same series as Inglorious Nausicaans and Kill Sloan?
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 05:18 PM   #323
Janos
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
Janos wrote: View Post
Essentially correct, although "Reservoir Ferengi" in the Seven Deadly Sins anthology does fill in the year after The Soul Key as far as Brunt, Gaila, and some other DS9 side characters are concerned.
The Seven Deadly Sins anthology didn't appeal to me on its surface, but I may have to pick it up now. Is "Reservoir Ferengi" a Ferengi story or one that really is more of a DS9 story?
Old February 21 2012, 05:22 PM   #324
Christopher
Writer

^It's very much a Ferengi story, centered on Brunt. But the Ferengi characters were a major part of the DS9 tapestry, and the novella does occupy the first full year of the 4-year gap, so I feel it's worth mentioning in discussions of that gap.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 05:23 PM   #325
JD
Admiral

EDIT: What Christopher said.
Old February 21 2012, 05:24 PM   #326
Janos
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
^It's very much a Ferengi story, centered on Brunt. But the Ferengi characters were a major part of the DS9 tapestry, and the novella does occupy the first full year of the 4-year gap, so I feel it's worth mentioning in discussions of that gap.
Thanks. I imagine there are no plans to fill the gap?

JD wrote: View Post
It's a mostly a Ferengi story, as far as I can remember the only onscreen characters in it are Brunt and Gaila.
Ah. Hmm. Now, I'm so sure I want to pick up the Anthology.

Overall is the anthology a worthwhile read?
Old February 21 2012, 05:27 PM   #327
JD
Admiral

Most of the stories in it are good, so I'd recommend it. I haven't read the Mirror Universe, or Pakled stories yet though.
Old February 21 2012, 05:46 PM   #328
Janos
Commander

JD wrote: View Post
Most of the stories in it are good, so I'd recommend it. I haven't read the Mirror Universe, or Pakled stories yet though.
It does seem to have a who's who of top ST writers in it
Old February 21 2012, 06:31 PM   #329
Fer
Commander

John Clark wrote: View Post
Started Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn again. Must be about 15 years since I last read it.
Are you reading the new anniversary addition with the annotations?
Old February 21 2012, 06:35 PM   #330
John Clark
Commodore

Fer wrote: View Post
John Clark wrote: View Post
Started Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn again. Must be about 15 years since I last read it.
Are you reading the new anniversary addition with the annotations?
Still the original one. As I had that one, I didn't bother getting the anniversary one. I wouldn't mind seeing the annotations (and to see if there are other changes) but we'll see about that.