Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 20 2012, 10:41 PM   #4231
sojourner
Admiral

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Shazam! wrote: View Post
sojourner wrote: View Post
I actually don't get the hate for Watchmen. It's almost a scene for scene translation of the graphic novel.
Watchmen is the ONE comic in which doing that misses the point completely. It's almost amazing that they didn't realize that.
So being slavishly faithful to the comic wasn't being slavishly faithful to the comic? Yeah, I don't get that. It was pitch perfect to me.
Old February 20 2012, 10:54 PM   #4232
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

I actually don't get the hate for Watchmen. It's almost a scene for scene translation of the graphic novel.
Watchmen is the ONE comic in which doing that misses the point completely. It's almost amazing that they didn't realize that.
So being slavishly faithful to the comic wasn't being slavishly faithful to the comic? Yeah, I don't get that. It was pitch perfect to me.
The comic exploited the comic book medium in ways only a comic could. Its sole purpose was to deconstruct and critique. Mindlessly translating panels loses 99% of what's actually going on.

Unless you think that Watchmen is nothing more than some guys in tights fighting bad guys in which case, yeah, it was pitch perfect.
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 12:01 AM   #4233
davejames
Vice Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
I still hold out hope for Superman though. He DOES have a very badass visual style...
But Superman as a character has never really been about being "badass," has he? It would seem to me the Superman character lends himself more to a director like Brad Bird, Joe Johnston, Robert Zemeckis or, in a pipe dream, Stephen Spielberg.
I'm not talking so much about his attitude, but the way he appears on screen-- with the dramatic lighting and the bold colors and the slow-motion camera moves that Snyder is so very good at.

Obviously I wouldn't want the whole freakin movie to look like that (which was where Watchmen and Sucker Punch went wrong), but it would certainly be cool as hell to see SOME of that in a Superman movie, I think.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 12:36 AM   #4234
sojourner
Admiral

The comic exploited the comic book medium in ways only a comic could. Its sole purpose was to deconstruct and critique. Mindlessly translating panels loses 99% of what's actually going on.

Unless you think that Watchmen is nothing more than some guys in tights fighting bad guys in which case, yeah, it was pitch perfect.
No, I got the deconstruction in both the movie and the book. I guess when it comes to live action I can just see more than some guys in tights fighting bad guys.
Old February 21 2012, 12:43 AM   #4235
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Watchmen is the ONE comic in which doing that misses the point completely. It's almost amazing that they didn't realise that.
In other words, "don't make a movie of Watchmen". That doesn't really work as a critique of the film.
Old February 21 2012, 12:45 AM   #4236
the G-man
Commodore

The problem with Watchmen (well, besides using a song other than Roy Orbison's version of "the Comedians" at the funeral scene), which I did enjoy, was that trying to jam everything into the movie that was in the book, simply because Snyder thought fanboys "demanded it," led to a rushed and disjointed movie in some spots.

For example: the Rorshach origin was shoehorned in. In the novel, you had an entire issue to develop the relationship between Kovacs and the psychologist. It had time to build to something and, as a result the doctor's realization, along with the audience's, of what had happened to the girl was horrifying. In the film, you had Rorschach stating "you can't get in my head, doctor" and then, thirty seconds later, giving the shrink--and us--a blow by blow of his encounter with the child killer and the dogs.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 12:49 AM   #4237
sojourner
Admiral

^Then again, the same could be said for nearly every movie based upon a book.
Old February 21 2012, 12:49 AM   #4238
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

No, I got the deconstruction in both the movie and the book. I guess when it comes to live action I can just see more than some guys in tights fighting bad guys.
Yeah, the spectacular adherence to genre conventions was purely ironic.
Old February 21 2012, 01:37 AM   #4239
sojourner
Admiral

Yeah, it's not like they had secret identities, wore tights, used fantastic gadgets, had superpowers, skulked in secret hideouts or anything like that in the graphic novel. How ironic.
Old February 21 2012, 01:58 AM   #4240
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

Yes, in the graphic novel it was ironic.
Old February 21 2012, 02:11 AM   #4241
sojourner
Admiral

As in the movie. Glad we got that cleared up.
Old February 21 2012, 02:27 AM   #4242
the G-man
Commodore

Not really. At least not good movies based on books. An effective adaptation realizes that books and movies are different media and knows what to leave out and what to keep.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 03:04 AM   #4243
davejames
Vice Admiral

Donald Draper wrote: View Post
Exacty! The whole point of the comic is that in this world Superheroes have no sense of grandeur. Other than Doc Manhattan they are just normal people in costumes. They are not cool, ass kicking badasses. They are actually pathetic. It should have had a simple naturalistic style. Its a character drama and mystery, not an action story. Nolan would have been better suited for it.
This says it best, I think. The very downbeat, naturalistic style of the comic was no where to be found in the movie, and the characters were suddenly presented in the flashiest, most stylized way imaginable. As if they were a bunch of freakin rock stars or something.

It just seemed to completely miss the point of the book.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 21 2012, 03:55 AM   #4244
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

They are not cool, ass kicking badasses.
Except when they are. That's what happens when "translating panels" means that the depicted events are the same in either version.

davejames wrote:
It just seemed to completely miss the point of the book.
I think you mean "it failed at the box office", which is all that really matters these days.
Old February 21 2012, 03:58 AM   #4245
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I liked the Watchmen movie. Actually, I enjoyed it more than the comic. Then again, I was never really "wowed" by the comic to begin with.

the G-man wrote: View Post
Not really. At least not good movies based on books. An effective adaptation realizes that books and movies are different media and knows what to leave out and what to keep.
Thus is the problem with fanboys. If Snyder took more liberties with the source material to streamline the comic into a workable movie, then NERDRAGE would happen. Snyder, instead, went to great lengths to make it as faithful as possible (especially with the extended cut [and the extended cut of the extended cut]) and what did he get? NERDRAGE! He was never going to win.