IDW Publishing January Comics
By: T'Bonz on Oct 20

Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old February 17 2012, 09:41 AM   #301
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384
Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Yeah, the "guy that played Admiral Kirk" had two "helpers", Judith and Garfield Reeves-Stevens who had written many excellent novels for years, and had worked on the so-called "Shatnerverse" novels with William Shatner. These novels document Kirk's resurrection and life in the 24th century.
Old February 17 2012, 03:10 PM   #302
Christopher
Writer

TenLubak wrote: View Post
Now i am reading one that is green and called STAR TREK ACADEMY : Collision Course, and the guy who played Admiral Kirk supposedly wrote the thing! with 2 helpers. I wonder how much of it he actually wrote.
According to interviews that Shatner and the Reeves-Stevenses have given, it's a pretty full collaboration; Shatner develops and writes Kirk's story arc and dialogue, the R-Ses mainly do the rest, but then they go back and forth and revise each other's work, and Shatner has the final say.

I remember back in 90s when i was a child seeing all these books called TEK WAR that he wrote at my library. I got one out but never read it. At least i dont remember it. I wonder if he had helpers to write that one too?
Shatner's collaborator on the Tek novels was the well-known SF author Ron Goulart. I'd imagine the working relationship was pretty much the same there, aside from Goulart being uncredited.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 06:09 PM   #303
JD
Admiral

Just finished both A Game of Thrones, and ST: Myriad Universes: Shattered Light. The last story in SL, Honor in the Night, was the best story in the collection. I really enjoyed the characterization of Baris and Darvin. Lots of interesting twists in this one. My Rating: 9/10.
It took me three tries and several months to finish the book, but I am very glad I did, the book was awesome. While it is a little more graphic than the books I usually read, the quality of the characters, writing, and world build were more than enough to make up for that. My rating: 9.75 out of 10.
Old February 17 2012, 06:37 PM   #304
Christopher
Writer

^I think your second paragraph there is meant to be about A Game of Thrones, but it's a bit unclear.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 07:18 PM   #305
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

I just finished Indistinguishable from Magic. I have to say that I didn't really like it much. I might come back later and elaborate when I have more time.

Next up, DTI: Watching the Clock.
Old February 17 2012, 11:50 PM   #306
JD
Admiral

JD wrote:
It took me three tries and several months to finish the book, but I am very glad I did, the book was awesome. While it is a little more graphic than the books I usually read, the quality of the characters, writing, and world build were more than enough to make up for that. My rating: 9.75 out of 10.
Christopher wrote: View Post
^I think your second paragraph there is meant to be about A Game of Thrones, but it's a bit unclear.
Oh, yeah it was. I was in a hurry when I wrote that.
Old February 19 2012, 12:40 AM   #307
Joel_Kirk
Commodore

Sho wrote: View Post
Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
Currently reading:

*Trektoday
Gripping on every installment.

Joel_Kirk wrote: View Post
*Facebook messages...
Less so. The characters ...

Joel_Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2012, 02:41 AM   #308
Sakrysta
Vice Admiral

So, I went and read the review thread for Indistinguishable from Magic. Pretty much all the reasons I didn't like it - small universe syndrome, choppy scene changes, scientific concepts well beyond my comprehension - were thoroughly covered there. Though no one seemed to have mentioned the moss zombies - that was the point where, if I hadn't been so close to the end of the novel, I would have given up.

One thing I DID like? The name of the Split Infinite. To boldly create new spatial anomalies!

Slightly off topic, last night I watched William Shatner's Gonzo Ballet on Netflix. I can't decide if it was completely absurd or completely brilliant.
Old February 19 2012, 05:28 PM   #309
Reanok
Commodore

I recently have read several of the older Startrek novels TOS Mutiny by Robert Lawrence, DS9 The Never ending sacrifice by Una McCormack and Ds9 betrayal by Lois Tilton.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2012, 10:49 PM   #310
Cap'n Crunch
Captain

I finished Royal Pains: First, Do No Harm by D.P. Lyle last night. It was thoroughly enjoyable and the characterizations were spot on.

I'm now reading Star Trek: Enterprise: The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm by Michael A. Martin.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 12:16 AM   #311
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Just started reading "The Ghosts of Cannae" by Robert L. O'Connell. An excellent history (so far anyway) on the Battle of Cannae.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 01:39 AM   #312
Destructor
Commodore

Finally finished 'One Day' by David Nicholls on the weekend. I have to say, it was wildly manipulative in the end- I don't regret reading it, but I very much resented the author arbitrarily pulling the strings to get a sentimental reaction out of me.

As soon as I put it down I quickly moved on to 'Prospero Burns' by Dan Abnett, the fifteenth (!) book in the Horus Heresy series. As this is the 'flip side' of the previously excellent 'A Thousand Sons', I am very keen to get my teeth into it.

On my eReader I have been churning through 'A Singular Destiny' by KRAD- while I am enjoying it (especially Sonek Pran- what a character!), it certainly doesn't have it's hooks into me the way other TrekLit books have done, seems a bit meandering and aimless at the moment, and I'm only 50 pages from the end so it doesn't have much time left to focus.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 05:41 AM   #313
JD
Admiral

I decided to star DTI: Watching the Clock, and once I finish up here I was also going to start the Discworld Death novel Reaper Man.
Old February 20 2012, 06:02 PM   #314
John Clark
Commodore

Started Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn again. Must be about 15 years since I last read it.
Old February 20 2012, 09:13 PM   #315
captcalhoun
Admiral

Dale Brown's Whiplash: A Dreamland Thriller
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote