Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 19 2012, 08:46 PM   #736
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

Well, I'm still not a fan of the randomized gear, but I am enjoying the multiplayer. I'm still playing as my turian Sentinel, usually with a Mantis and a Predator. I've gotten pretty good at sniping Guardians through those slits in their shields.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2012, 10:03 PM   #737
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^I WAS getting good at that, but somehow I've already lost the knack. Probably too much time playing as either a vanguard or an engineer.

As for the packs, it's really not so bad. For one thing they only cost 5000c for the recruit pack and 20,000c for the veteran. Considering that I usually make around 15,000 per round, I find I'm buying vet packs fairly regularly. As for the contents, it's not really *that* random. I mean you're always guaranteed to get some of the basic consumables (rockets, medigel, etc), plus a few one-use stat-boosters and either a weapon upgrade or a new character. Its only been a few days and already I've accumulated a quarrian engineer, the drell vanguard, and the turian sentinel characters as well as the mattock, revenant, tempest, viper, phalanx, scimitar and the claymore.

Actually the recruit pack is fairly reliable at getting upgrades for the small arms. My shuriken is already up to model IX and I think my predator is a VII or an VIII. Look at it this way, you can think of it as adding to the roleplay dynamic. There's a war on and supplies a strained. you have to take what you can get.

Tell you what is bugging me though; no radar. Yesterday I got snuck up on by a damn Atlas! Oh and there's this weird bug which makes some of your abilities drop off the quickbar. Anyone else run into that one? I think it only happens when you switch classes between rounds.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2012, 10:55 PM   #738
HotRod
Commander

I'm loving the work they did with the sound in ME3. Even the Avenger now sounds like a bad ass piece of hardware. Not that I had anything against the Avenger before. It's actually my favorite gun in the series. Yeah when it started out it was kinda weak, but once it was fully upgraded she was a pretty damn fine weapon. Plus it's the iconic Mass Effect gun! I almost wanna drop some serious cash and pick up one of those $600 buck replicas. Though I'm afraid my gal would kill me with it if I did.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 02:32 AM   #739
-Brett-
Rear Admiral

I'm a little late to the party, but I only just got the demo.

The thing that bothers me, and bothered me when I saw the E3 videos, is the almost complete lack of dialogue choices. Even on the role-playing mode. Has Bioware confirmed that they were cut from the demo? I won't be at all happy if this is how the final game is.
-Brett- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 02:47 AM   #740
Reverend
Rear Admiral

I think they said back during E3 that yes, most of the dialogue choices were cut down for the purposes of the demo. In fact I think the E3 demo had more options, including one with the Krogan female. You may have noticed that her and Shepard's dialogue automatically varies slightly depending on your previous choices.

It might also be worth remembering that in ME2, it's not until you run into Jacob that you have anything close to a real conversation. All the bits with Liara/Ash/Kaiden and Joker are the same basic paragon/renegade binary choices. Either way, I wouldn't worry.

P.S. I just got me a Krogan soldier class!
Old February 20 2012, 04:04 AM   #741
ATimson
Rear Admiral

-Brett- wrote: View Post
The thing that bothers me, and bothered me when I saw the E3 videos, is the almost complete lack of dialogue choices. Even on the role-playing mode. Has Bioware confirmed that they were cut from the demo? I won't be at all happy if this is how the final game is.
They confirmed that choices were cut from the first (intro) segment.

I don't know if they confirmed that choices were cut from what we saw in the second segment, but it definitely lost a lot of (probably spoiler-y) dialogue, so I wouldn't be concerned about its lack of choices either.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 04:41 AM   #742
Skywalker
Admiral

I watched the first part of the leaked beta and there was some import-related dialogue there, so I don't doubt it will be there in the finished product. Remember they need to keep these demos within a manageable size so that people will download them. You're not going to find everything.

On another note, my turian Sentinel + the Widow = Win.
Old February 20 2012, 07:04 AM   #743
HotRod
Commander

OK. I wasn't sure what to expect for the CGI trailer for ME3. The previous ones for the ME and and ME2 were alright but something to me always seemed off about the animation. But this one, I am not ashamed to say I loved. There were a few issues here and there, but overall I thought it was awesome.

On the side of game details it looks like we might be getting BOTH the Mako and the Hammerhead (hopfully with a lil' more armour) back. Plus we got our first look at Systems Alliance Dreadnoughts! (awesome, even if it don't jive 100% with the codex)

Also go to see some more of Ashley's new armour, which I like. Glad to have her back at my side. Would have liked to have had Garrus at Shepard's side as well, but hey, nothing's perfect.

http://youtu.be/Vs7kix6_8Ks

Note: This was still a trimmed down version. Full version out this Tuesday!
Old February 20 2012, 09:06 AM   #744
throwback
Captain

The animation in the trailer is extraordinary. I will have to let myself down gradually for I expect the game to be of a lower quality animation.

It was nice to see the Mako and the Hammerhead working side-by-side.

What is with Ashley's hairdo? That doesn't seem to be very military to me. The pictures I have seen of women in the military shows them having short hair, like the men.

Finally, based on the last image of the Earth, will there be anything to be saved upon the completion of Shepard's mission? Both the American continents are on fire, and I assume the rest of the world is on fire as well.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 09:10 AM   #745
Skywalker
Admiral

Ashley kept her hair tied back in ME1 and ME2, but for some reason they felt the need to give her a 'sexier' look in ME3.
Old February 20 2012, 02:17 PM   #746
ATimson
Rear Admiral

HotRod wrote: View Post
On the side of game details it looks like we might be getting BOTH the Mako
If we don't I'm now going to be sorely disappointed and have only you to blame for raising my hopes.

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Ashley kept her hair tied back in ME1 and ME2, but for some reason they felt the need to give her a 'sexier' look in ME3.
Could be worse. At least they didn't give her a catsuit like Miranda and Samara or... nothing like Jack. But I wouldn't have recognized her as Ashley if I hadn't read the thread first.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old February 20 2012, 03:02 PM   #747
Reverend
Rear Admiral

^But they did stick her in high heels and an odd little miniskirt for her casual look. I have to say, Ash's makeover is probably my least favourite thing about ME3. I mean at least with Miranda, Jack and Samara their respective looks were consistent with their character. True, Ash was definitely more feminine than some female soldiers I've known (as opposed to a roided up tomboy) but she was still a marine and I just can't see her literally letting her hair down in combat.
Old February 20 2012, 03:11 PM   #748
HotRod
Commander

Meh, I can live with it. She's a Spectre now. Maybe the dress regulations are a little softer.
Old February 20 2012, 03:21 PM   #749
Camren
Commodore

Speaking of Miranda, it seems she might not be a squad member in ME3, which would be odd considering the emphasis attached to her character in the previous game.
Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 03:50 PM   #750
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Camren wrote: View Post
Speaking of Miranda, it seems she might not be a squad member in ME3, which would be odd considering the emphasis attached to her character in the previous game.
The "list of Kinect commands" that was released gives a list of squad members. I don't know if it was a slipup or misinformation, but I'm assuming the former and that the list is correct.

But I wouldn't be surprised if she isn't. After all, you're spending ME3 working for the Alliance, not Cerberus. (At least, I'm assuming that's why the Normandy has been done up in Alliance colors... )

The Alliance isn't exactly going to forgive-and-forget Miranda working for the most notorious terrorist organization in Council space. Shepherd at least has the "I'm a Spectre" excuse, and as we can see in the demo even that seems to have only saved him from summary execution; he's still jailed & awaiting trial...