RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,694
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 783
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 20 2012, 09:18 AM   #946
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

Rick definitely shot the fat dude in the head even after he was down from the first shots. I don't remember if he did that to the other guy though.

That was gross when the guy got his face bitten off. The walker just chomped down on his nose and ripped it off. Ewwww. I liked how the flesh was peeling off the walker's face as he tried to get Lori though the windshield. Nice attention to detail.
Old February 20 2012, 12:14 PM   #947
Ryan
Commodore

The fact Shane still wants to be in a relationship with Lori really is the best evidence he's batshit crazy. That woman is horrible. Just absolutely horrible
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 01:14 PM   #948
Derishton
Vice Admiral

sojourner wrote: View Post
Were they shot in the head? pretty sure the fat one died pretty slowly for a head shot.
I thought Rick finished them off with headshots, which implies to me that he's aware everyone reanimates.
Old February 20 2012, 02:42 PM   #949
Santeria
Lieutenant Commander

Derishton wrote: View Post
Were they shot in the head? pretty sure the fat one died pretty slowly for a head shot.
I thought Rick finished them off with headshots, which implies to me that he's aware everyone reanimates.
I'm pretty sure those were the final words of the CDC guy, which is why Rick hasn't told anyone what he said yet. If they knew, there'd be no hope for the future.
Santeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 03:37 PM   #950
Disruptor
Commodore

We saw dead bodies on the highway without apparent head wounds that were not undead, though.
Disruptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 03:52 PM   #951
Santeria
Lieutenant Commander

Disruptor wrote: View Post
We saw dead bodies on the highway without apparent head wounds that were not undead, though.
I honestly don't remember many examples of that. Either way, I don't think a head shot is absolutely required to kill a zombie. It's just the only way to be sure to do the job.
Old February 20 2012, 04:28 PM   #952
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Santeria wrote: View Post
Derishton wrote: View Post
I'm pretty sure those were the final words of the CDC guy, which is why Rick hasn't told anyone what he said yet. If they knew, there'd be no hope for the future.
Not really. Just look at all the different burial cultures throughout history. I could easily see a society developing that stabbed a body in the head after death as a normal part of morning. In fact it would make for an interesting story to visit the planet hundreds of years in the future. The zombies are all gone, humanity seems normal except for this one practice of stabbing dead bodies in the head. Then the time traveler/visitor comes and questions that. Next thing you know he's reintroduced zombies to the world.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 04:48 PM   #953
the G-man
Commodore

Not really. Just look at all the different burial cultures throughout history. I could easily see a society developing that stabbed a body in the head after death as a normal part of mourning.
Such a society is the setting of the movie Fido, in fact.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 06:20 PM   #954
Santeria
Lieutenant Commander

AviTrek wrote: View Post
Not really. Just look at all the different burial cultures throughout history. I could easily see a society developing that stabbed a body in the head after death as a normal part of morning. In fact it would make for an interesting story to visit the planet hundreds of years in the future. The zombies are all gone, humanity seems normal except for this one practice of stabbing dead bodies in the head. Then the time traveler/visitor comes and questions that. Next thing you know he's reintroduced zombies to the world.
Yes, and if someone died quietly of old age in their home, or in a massive car/plane wreck, or overdosed, or from a heart attack, or any other sort of death where someone else wasn't around to shoot them in the head, them blam, welcome to Zombie Apocalypse 2.0... then 3.0... then 4.0... etc.

It would be a constant, never-ending concern. Society would, in no way shape or form, function as it does now. There'd be no hope for "normality" if, whenever anyone died, they would reanimate as a brain-eating monster from Hell. Even if everyone carried a firearm with them 24/7, there'd still be a constant threat. The never-ending paranoia alone would all but insure that innocent people were constantly being killed by non-zombies.
Old February 20 2012, 07:01 PM   #955
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^You wouldn't get an apocalypse in a society engrained with the knowledge of what zombies are and how to deal with them, but yes, it would be a harsher society in some cases.
Old February 20 2012, 07:18 PM   #956
the G-man
Commodore

^You wouldn't get an apocalypse in a society engrained with the knowledge of what zombies are and how to deal with them, but yes, it would be a harsher society in some cases.

Correct. Think of it like Rabies: There would still be isolated outbreaks here and there. However, since people would know how to deal with them, casualties would be limited and the outbreaks would be quickly confined.

And I almost hate to bring up AIDS (both because of the political implications and because of Herschel's implications) but in our lifetimes we've seen how medical providers and first responders can adopt to a potential pandemic and people adjust to that: everyone now wears rubber gloves, there are special disposal methods for medical waste, condoms are more openly discussed, etc.

No doubt a post zombie world would be harsher but there is already precedence throughout history for people to adapt behaviors to pandemics without the world coming to an end.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 07:42 PM   #957
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Disruptor wrote: View Post
Suddenly the town is crawling with walkers...they must lie dormant until guns are fired...how video gamey.
They may have been nearby, rather than in the town itself, and drawn towards the town by the initial gunfire inside the bar.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 07:42 PM   #958
Tom
Rear Admiral

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Rick definitely shot the fat dude in the head even after he was down from the first shots. I don't remember if he did that to the other guy though.

That was gross when the guy got his face bitten off. The walker just chomped down on his nose and ripped it off. Ewwww. I liked how the flesh was peeling off the walker's face as he tried to get Lori though the windshield. Nice attention to detail.
Rick shot the first guy in the head thus only needed one shot, then shot tony twice in the body and walked up to him and shot him in the head so he would not re-animate it was all very obvious. Can't believe some people dont know that in this thread, once in the head and you stay dead! lol
Old February 20 2012, 07:57 PM   #959
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Oh, WE know it, but it has yet to be established on the show if it's necessary to keep the newly dead from reanimating.

As for the headshots, I couldn't recall in the scene whether Rick did that or not. I guess my "they all have the virus" theory is back in play!
Old February 20 2012, 07:57 PM   #960
jim hadar
Fleet Captain

CDC guy confirmed that a head shot (or similar traumatic brain injury) was required. If you DVR it, Rick nails the guy behind the bar in the head with that one shot, then walks over and puts one in fatboy's head after wounding him. Was he eliminating the threat to the farm they represented if they survived, or making sure they did not re-animate from an airborne pathogen or both...

What the Frak?
jim hadar is offline   Reply With Quote