Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 5 2012, 12:26 PM   #106
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

Re: What SF/F Book Are you Reading? .. Redux

The Shining by Stephen King
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 05:39 AM   #107
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Finished Ender's Game, in Card's "Author's Definitive Edition" from 1991.... well I can see why it's so popular, it was quite the interesting read. A fascinating take on the problem of making someone into an ultimate soldier and whether its possible to retain one's humanity in the process. In the end, I think I liked the last chapter even more than the rest, when he finally got to understand the enemy. I'm not going to read any of the sequels at the moment, but I've been told to be careful of some of them lol.

Sidenote: one of my jobs is a retail one, and I've never gotten such a reaction to having a book visible next to my register as this one. It's a college town, and I got several people every day remarking that it was one of their favorite books. One volunteered that he'd only read half of it, as that was what it had taken to get him laid. [That would have been the Darkover books in my undergrad days. ]

Back to the past again for my next one -- on to John Brunner's The Whole Man from 1964, a story of telepaths.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 01:12 PM   #108
stj
Rear Admiral

Jasper Fforde's One of Our Thursdays Is Missing

Why don't Fforde, Christopher Moore and Tom Holt get the attention and praise they deserve?
Old February 20 2012, 01:52 PM   #109
T'Starla
Lieutenant Commander

This week, I have been mostly reading - Star Trek: The Disinherited by Robert Greenberger, Michael Jan Friedman and Peter David
Old February 20 2012, 10:01 PM   #110
Mistral
Vice Admiral

nvek86 wrote: View Post
Mistral wrote: View Post
The book had mixed reviews at a site I visit-they said the same thing. Those 2 stories were singled out.
What site are you using for reviews? I visit "Worlds Without End" quite often, but they only cover books that won/were nominated for awards.
http://www.sfsite.com/

The main page content seems to change monthly.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20 2012, 10:18 PM   #111
nvek86
Commander

^Thanks for the link, seems like good and extensive site at first glance.

Klaus wrote: View Post
Finished Ender's Game, in Card's "Author's Definitive Edition" from 1991.... well I can see why it's so popular, it was quite the interesting read. A fascinating take on the problem of making someone into an ultimate soldier and whether its possible to retain one's humanity in the process. In the end, I think I liked the last chapter even more than the rest, when he finally got to understand the enemy. I'm not going to read any of the sequels at the moment, but I've been told to be careful of some of them lol.
At least Speaker for the Dead (the first sequel) is also very good.
Old February 23 2012, 04:07 PM   #112
T'Starla
Lieutenant Commander

The Smallest Dragonboy by Anne McCaffrey
Old February 23 2012, 04:13 PM   #113
scnj
Captain

Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy. Going onto Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw to cheer myself up.
scnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2012, 04:21 PM   #114
Lowdarzz
Captain

I'm reading Darkness Descending by Harry Turtledove.

It's the second of a six book series that retells the events of World War II in a fantasy setting. It's told from a third person omniscient perspective which seems to be the format that Turtledove prefers.
Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2012, 04:48 PM   #115
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

After a spell of reading just non-fiction and non-SFF fiction, I've got back to reading SFF with A Princess of Mars by Edgar Rice Burroughs and The Voyage of the Space Beagle by A.E. van Vogt.
Old February 24 2012, 04:05 AM   #116
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Lowdarzz wrote: View Post
I'm reading Darkness Descending by Harry Turtledove.

It's the second of a six book series that retells the events of World War II in a fantasy setting. It's told from a third person omniscient perspective which seems to be the format that Turtledove prefers.
Read those. Beginning of the Terminal Turtledove Boredom Syndrome for me. I'm still in the process of expiring from it...

Old February 24 2012, 04:13 AM   #117
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

I like HT, but I only read his alternate history stuff...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 24 2012, 11:51 AM   #118
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Almost finished with Song of Susanna, book six of the Dark Tower saga. In the home stretch...
Old February 24 2012, 06:05 PM   #119
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
I like HT, but I only read his alternate history stuff...
I didn't read the Indian Wars or Atlantis series but I read all of the rest-the WWII and the Great War sagas. The first Nazi book, but not the last two. He does get repetitive and I discovered John Birmingham, who's far more exciting.

Old February 24 2012, 11:54 PM   #120
stj
Rear Admiral

Turtledove has interesting ideas occasionally but is a horribly slip shod, painful writer. His best books are standalones like Ruled Britannia, The Case of the Toxic Spell Dump or Agent of Byzantium. His work as H.N. Turteltaub is better written but marred by an apparent tendency to really get off on moral primitivism. His series about ancient Greek merchants who embody the libertarian free market ideal are notably stupid even in the SF and fantasy fields, particularly for someone who went to a real university/college.

Tried to read China Mieville's Embassytown. The first time I ran across psychic powers/personality traits as the key to interstellar travel, in Cordwainer Smith, it was really exciting. Then when I ran across it in a Robert Sheckley short story, it was amusing. The third time, in Samuel R. Delany, it was getting rather old hat, and kind of hard to accept but there were other things going on, so I perservered. Then, when I came to it yet again, it was downright stale. It was vaguely insulting to be treated to such fatuous nonsense yet again. But this time the other thing going on was a first person narrator who regaled the readers with fine writing of the trendiest sort who announces to us that she isn't a literary person! You don't have to believe the narrator is reliable but you do have to be able to imagine that the narration is coming from an actual character. As it was, it seemed it was just China Mieville, who for some inexplicable reason occasionally pretended to be someone else who I could not believe would ever, ever, talk or write like that.