Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old February 19 2012, 06:33 AM   #136
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Re: My homebrew kitbashes

I for one consider myself very lucky indeed to have access to such excellent "parts boxes", seeing as how I do not have the time or talent to "draw" my own from scratch.

Starfleet vessels tend to have characteristics in common much of the time (saucer, nacelles, 2ndary hulls, etc), which is a plus. I think I've managed to put together some unique configurations here with several of my efforts, and at least tried to put my own "spin" on the ones that are "variations on a theme" (Connie refits, etc).

If you disagree, that's your own opinion, and you're entitled to it. There are plenty of other threads for you. All I ask is that you leave mine to my work and those who DO enjoy it.

On to tonight's entries:

2250s refit Durance class frigate

and the SS St Christopher (ex USS Erikson), a demilitarized Vespucci class scout

Last edited by Ian Keldon; February 19 2012 at 02:42 PM.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2012, 06:37 AM   #137
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

JES wrote: View Post
You said what has been on my mind for some time, but never said because I didn't want to unintentionally offend.

I would like to see some designs that are either brand new, or use newly designed parts, such as using/heavily modifying an Excelsior saucer to make a supplement/replacement for the Larson and Loknar class, for example.
Those have probably already been done too...I know at least one site (Starship Schematic Database) that has probably close to 5 or 6 hundred designs on it, spanning all eras from pre-TOS through TNG+.
Old February 19 2012, 06:55 AM   #138
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^And yet, here you are. As long as you just rearrange parts you'll never come up with anything new. Might as well save yourself the time and just browse the Starship Schematics Database.
Old February 19 2012, 07:22 AM   #139
Ziz
Commodore

Lighten up, sojo. Part of Ian's reason for doing this is to teach himself how to use Paint.Net, a drawing program that's a step up from Windows Paint. Let him get comfortable with that and find his "artistic voice" first. I'm sure once he feels he's pushed the limit of kitbashes he'll branch out to more unique design attempts.
Old February 19 2012, 07:23 AM   #140
largo
Fleet Captain

pfft. come up with something new, get shouted down by the purists. you can't win. XP
Old February 19 2012, 09:39 AM   #141
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
I for one consider myself very lucky indeed to have access to such excellent "parts boxes", seeing as how I do not have the time or talent to "draw" my own from scratch.

Starfleet vessels tend to have characteristics in common much of the time (saucer, nacelles, 2ndary hulls, etc), which is a plus. I think I've managed to put together some unique configurations here with several of my efforts, and at least tried to put my own "spin" on the ones that are "variations on a theme" (Connie refits, etc).

If you disagree, that's your own opinion, and you're entitled to it. There are plenty of other threads for you. All I ask is that you leave mine to my work and those who DO enjoy it.

On to tonight's entries:

2250s refit Durance class frigate

and the SS St Christopher (ex USS Erikson), a demilitarized Vespucci class scout
Nice ones
Old February 19 2012, 09:41 AM   #142
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

JES wrote: View Post
You said what has been on my mind for some time, but never said because I didn't want to unintentionally offend.

I would like to see some designs that are either brand new, or use newly designed parts, such as using/heavily modifying an Excelsior saucer to make a supplement/replacement for the Larson and Loknar class, for example.
I think Capt. Shade on Dev art made those with his own style of ship parts which at Kavinveldars dev art page.

Last edited by Kaiser; February 19 2012 at 09:53 AM.
Kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2012, 10:00 AM   #143
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Also my 2 cents on this.

Im also grateful for these parts as it gave me chance to do what i used to as a kid when i had a fresh piece of notebook paper and a nice #2 Pencil

Might as well get used to the fact people will prolly use these parts and other for a long time and if you dont like it blame Neal Davidson aka Vance for it and / or Every Star Trek Ship designer starting from Matt Jefferies to the lil kid who saw Star Trek 2009 or Prime Trek and is doodling her or his own lil ships on Paper in school or when there home building them from model kits or Lego's and who might grow up and design canon Trek ships in the 2030's.

Live long and Prosper Star Trek and anything attached or based on it
Old February 19 2012, 02:43 PM   #144
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Went back and "finished" the Durance refit...I must've been zonked when I posted that WIP with several parts missing.

Last edited by Ian Keldon; February 20 2012 at 03:39 AM.
Old February 19 2012, 03:48 PM   #145
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
Went back and "finished" the Durance refit...I must've been zonked when I posted that WIP with several parts missing.
Looks good
Old February 19 2012, 04:13 PM   #146
nightwind1
Commodore

sojourner wrote: View Post
^And yet, here you are. As long as you just rearrange parts you'll never come up with anything new. Might as well save yourself the time and just browse the Starship Schematics Database.
So you come in here to crap all over someone else's fun? Y'know, if you don't like it, no one says you have to come here to this thread and look at it.
nightwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19 2012, 07:12 PM   #147
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^Sorry, the minute it was posted here it was open to criticism. Good or bad.

Ultimately all I am saying is that Ian could take some time and actually come up with something new and unique.
Old February 19 2012, 07:21 PM   #148
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

sojourner wrote: View Post
^Sorry, the minute it was posted here it was open to criticism. Good or bad.

Ultimately all I am saying is that Ian could take some time and actually come up with something new and unique.
The components may be standardized, but I don't as a rule "redo" other people's work. My designs are my own. I just have help executing the drawings.

How would my work be any more "artistic" if I drew my own components from scratch? They'd look just like the one's I'm using now, assuming I was able to do them right.
Old February 19 2012, 09:16 PM   #149
sojourner
Vice Admiral

The assumption would be that you would create something new and NOT redraw existing components.
Old February 20 2012, 03:38 AM   #150
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Whatever, sojourner.

If you have a legitimate complaint or suggestion about any of my designs, feel free to post it.

If you just want to bash me for working within the existing design paradigms in regards to components, then feel free to find another thread to frequent.