Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 17 2012, 02:34 AM   #916
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

The hospital scene where Shane described not hearing Rick's heartbeat is the key. The producers went to a lot of trouble to calibrate the gunfire so it wasn't loud enough to cast doubt on Shane's story.

If they wanted us to believe "Shane is lying" or "Shane is deluding himself," it would have been easy just to increase the decibel level of the gunshots in the distance. Or, they could have simply not included a flashback to that scene at all, and let us wonder. Our minds would naturally wander to "Shane's got a motive to lie."

The way they chose to go with that scene tells me that they want us to infer that there really wasn't a heartbeat for Shane to hear. Whether that means Rick was dead or just in some kind of near-death zombie-coma, I dunno. But that scene will turn out to be very significant.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 02:54 AM   #917
sojourner
Admiral

You guys are on crack. I'm going with "everyone has the virus".
Old February 17 2012, 06:43 AM   #918
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Just saw "Rick" on Letterman, didn't realize he wasn't American, just how many are on the air now? I blame House.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 10:28 AM   #919
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Got a lot of daddy's blood, and then everything seems to be just fine.
I forgot about the transfusion. It could be either that or the genetics. Or both, I suppose.
Old February 17 2012, 12:36 PM   #920
Silent_Bob
Fleet Captain

The whole Rick is a zombie sort of, doesnt really fit with the character though. He's always struck me as someone who'd do anything to protect his family and others. It seems more likely to me that if he'd been told by Captain CDC that he had the zombie bug, he would have either stayed in there to be incinerated, or headed as far away as possible from the group. And i doubt he would have risked infecting Carl through blood transfusions.

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
Just saw "Rick" on Letterman, didn't realize he wasn't American, just how many are on the air now? I blame House.
We're everywhere. Your neighbour, two doors down? He's not an American, he's british. Your Doctor, Hank McApplepie? Replaced years ago by Rowan Atkinson.

It's all part of our secret plan to retake the colonies.
Old February 17 2012, 06:47 PM   #921
wissaboo
Captain

View wissaboo's Twitter Profile

The concept that some or all of them are infected with zombie virus that gives them some special advantages goes against the idea that none of them are safe and anyone can die at any time.
wissaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 06:58 PM   #922
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

My initial instinct would be that it's simply, that everyone has the Zombie bug already, and no matter how you die, you'll become a Zombie, wether bitten, gun shot, natural causes etc, since that is common in Zombie lore these days.

problem is, by Rick not sharing this, he could put others at risk, for example Lori cuddling Carl as he's dying from the gunshot wound, if he had died in her arms, he could've turned and bit her. Would he withold that information? Is it OK for him to withold that information, since people don't turn immediately upon death in this show's Universe? Or does this rule out this possibility?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17 2012, 06:59 PM   #923
sojourner
Admiral

^Oh they're all infected. But the only advantage it gives is that their corpse will be self motivated.
Old February 18 2012, 05:32 AM   #924
Witterquick
Captain

So when you get bitten, it's like a double dose of Zombie bug which eats your brain. Otherwise you're good. Like Rick who is actually a Zombie.
Witterquick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2012, 05:44 AM   #925
sojourner
Admiral

Witterquick wrote: View Post
Like Rick who is actually a Zombie.
huh?
Old February 18 2012, 11:00 AM   #926
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Silent_Bob wrote: View Post
And i doubt he would have risked infecting Carl through blood transfusions.
That's a good point.
Old February 18 2012, 09:37 PM   #927
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The whole Rick is a zombie sort of, doesnt really fit with the character though.
He's not necessarily thinking like a zombie. I think this is some wacky medical thing that's yet to be explained, but will clarify a lot about what's been going on.

If it's not related to the virus doing something weird to Rick, then what could the whisper-mystery be?

My initial instinct would be that it's simply, that everyone has the Zombie bug already, and no matter how you die, you'll become a Zombie, wether bitten, gun shot, natural causes etc, since that is common in Zombie lore these days.

problem is, by Rick not sharing this, he could put others at risk, for example Lori cuddling Carl as he's dying from the gunshot wound, if he had died in her arms, he could've turned and bit her. Would he withold that information? Is it OK for him to withold that information, since people don't turn immediately upon death in this show's Universe? Or does this rule out this possibility?
I don't think that could be the answer, just because it's not actually shocking enough. It sort of makes sense that everyone would become a zombie now if they die, and is it really that big a deal?

If someone were to die from anything other than a zombie bite, you just need to make sure to shoot them thru the head before they revive. People would get used to this pretty quickly, after all, the person is already dead.

And Rick certainly would not withhold the information. It's plausible that it's true, and dangerous enough that everyone needs to know about it.

Whatever it was, it was so shocking and crazy that he doesn't even believe it. He thinks the guy was lying to him because he was sort of malicious, wasn't he? Rick having died and revived, yet not zombified, qualifies as that sort of thing.
It seems more likely to me that if he'd been told by Captain CDC that he had the zombie bug, he would have either stayed in there to be incinerated, or headed as far away as possible from the group. And i doubt he would have risked infecting Carl through blood transfusions.
If he doesn't believe it - and it seems pretty unbelievable even in context with everything - then he'd behave exactly as he has. He had to give Carl infusions to save his life, so if that had killed him, well, Carl was going to die anyway.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18 2012, 09:39 PM   #928
sojourner
Admiral

^That everyone has the virus.
Old February 19 2012, 01:48 AM   #929
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

We've seen a lot of dead bodies just lying around for a long time so I'm not sure how everyone could have the virus.
Old February 19 2012, 01:56 AM   #930
Dorian Thompson
Admiral

All the nice Latino lads and nurses who stayed behind in Atlanta to look after the elderly people at that nursing home/hospital are in for a nasty surprise. They'd figure it out pretty quickly, though. Good thing Rick let them have the guns after all. Very prescient of him.

Best disaster animal relief charity around. Don't forget our animal friends. Donate, train to be a volunteer, or be a foster parent for a displaced pet.
Dorian Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote