RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,413
Members: 24,632
Currently online: 416
Newest member: shrutidhrma

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old February 16 2012, 05:51 AM   #976
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

Re: Does It Get Better???

I think the fact that "Timeless" revolves around two of my least favorite characters kind of drags it down in my estimation. I mean, I do enjoy it a lot and its a technically excellent episode - good story, effects, concept, its an event episode but it still features Harry and Chakotay, blugh. And neither of them do a particularly good job of acting in it either.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofz1Zbpkxys
You_Will_Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 06:49 AM   #977
exodus
Fleet Admiral

AdmiralScreed wrote: View Post
Timeless: Words can't begin to describe how great of an episode this was. I loved every moment of it; the transitions between the past and present, seeing the dead crew of Voyager and the way they died, Geordi's guest appearance, the very ending when Kim reads his log.......I could go on, and on, and on....this episode also had a very cinematic feel; the camera angles, the lighting, direction, visual effects, and the large scope of the story all made me feel like I was watching a film.
Well done, well done!
My favorite episode of Voyager so far!
10/10
Agreed.
It also IMO shows that Garrett Wang had the potential to be a better actor than what we've seen of him if given proper motivation. On just a minor note, I wish we got to know what Tessa' future was like has she not met Chakotay. The special effect of Voyager crashing down was freakin' awesome!

Last edited by exodus; February 16 2012 at 07:06 AM.
exodus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 07:02 AM   #978
tighr
Commodore

I'm surprised you're not marking this episode down for not having a DS9 cameo. There was so much potential!
Old February 16 2012, 07:37 AM   #979
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

exodus wrote: View Post
Timeless: Words can't begin to describe how great of an episode this was. I loved every moment of it; the transitions between the past and present, seeing the dead crew of Voyager and the way they died, Geordi's guest appearance, the very ending when Kim reads his log.......I could go on, and on, and on....this episode also had a very cinematic feel; the camera angles, the lighting, direction, visual effects, and the large scope of the story all made me feel like I was watching a film.
Well done, well done!
My favorite episode of Voyager so far!
10/10
Agreed.
It also IMO shows that Garrett Wang had the potential to be a better actor than what we've seen of him if given proper motivation. On just a minor note, I wish we got to know what Tessa' future was like has she not met Chakotay. The special effect of Voyager crashing down was freakin' awesome!
I love older Harry, very believable. And I loved seeing 7 and Janeway under the ice.. the whole episode is quite a trip.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 07:39 AM   #980
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

You_Will_Fail wrote: View Post
I think the fact that "Timeless" revolves around two of my least favorite characters kind of drags it down in my estimation. I mean, I do enjoy it a lot and its a technically excellent episode - good story, effects, concept, its an event episode but it still features Harry and Chakotay, blugh. And neither of them do a particularly good job of acting in it either.
Think of it as making the episode even more impressive because it succeeds not because of that issue, but despite it.

Honestly, this is one of the few times I think Chakotay and Kim aren't generally disappointing for one reason or another.

And I do love that crash scene. I wince at the impact every time. No starship deserves to have that happen. Though I do wonder, morbidly, whether everyone was actually killed in the impact, or whether there were other factors. I guess I'm just too used to Our Heroes surviving crashes of one form or another. And I'll grant that it might have been over-the-top and depressing to see anyone survive only to suffer a much slower and probably more agonizing death from cold or starvation or such.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 08:24 AM   #981
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Remember in Ground Hog Day when they explained to THEBILLMURRAY about how he could do absolutely anything he wanted consequence free because the universe was going to reset at 6am?

Harry "Doctor, You don't suppose, when you're finished with sevens brain, I could have it?"

Doctor "No."

Harry "Nothing sexual."

Doctor "Still no."

Harry "Look, I just want to lick it."

Doctor "Definitely NO then, and besides, it's 15 degrees below zero in here, your tongue would stick to her, and probably permanently considering the universe is about to end."

Harry "I thought it would give me luck."

Doctor "Bull^%$#."

Harry "okay, I admit, its a little bit sexual."

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 01:36 PM   #982
AdmiralScreed
Captain

tighr wrote: View Post
I'm surprised you're not marking this episode down for not having a DS9 cameo. There was so much potential!
I knew that someone was going to say that...

The reason Timeless succeeds without that is because it already had a fantastic story. And Ship in A Bottle? Well, not so much...
Old February 16 2012, 04:34 PM   #983
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

I don't recall, was SiaB marked up for somehow managing to make Andy Dick tolerable? It surely deserves at least one point just for that feat.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 04:46 PM   #984
AdmiralScreed
Captain

DonIago wrote: View Post
I don't recall, was SiaB marked up for somehow managing to make Andy Dick tolerable? It surely deserves at least one point just for that feat.
That episode got a 6/10 from me. I didn't care for the other EMH, though. I thought he was rather annoying.
Old February 16 2012, 05:39 PM   #985
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

You mean "Message in a Bottle". A fine episode to be sure, I thought the way the two EMH's played off eachother was great, and I feel the idea was more original than Timeless which was the usual time travel hijinks with a twist.
Old February 16 2012, 06:11 PM   #986
jpch
Commander

You mean "Message in a Bottle". A fine episode to be sure, I thought the way the two EMH's played off eachother was great, and I feel the idea was more original than Timeless which was the usual time travel hijinks with a twist.
Message in a bottle so funny XD and yet had some real original aspect to it. Also timeless was good the 100 episode they really tried to make it uber and i think it worked.
Deadlock was the best thing along with basics in the first 2 seasons for me.
jpch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 06:14 PM   #987
AdmiralScreed
Captain

Oops. Message, not ship...my mistake.

And yes, time travel stories aren't uncommon in Trek, but IMO Timeless went above and beyond, and I would say it's one of, if not, my favorite time travel story Trek has ever done.

And as exodus pointed out, this episode took two characters who were normally a little dull (or in Kim's case just plain annoying) and turned them into rich and interesting people who you really cared about and could sympathize with.
Old February 16 2012, 06:45 PM   #988
You_Will_Fail
Fleet Captain

Garret Wang was utilizing the "talk through gritted teeth all the time to express frustration" acting technique, I found his attempts at acting in "Timeless" pretty pathetic.
Old February 16 2012, 07:40 PM   #989
AdmiralScreed
Captain

Garret Wang was utilizing the "talk through gritted teeth all the time to express frustration" acting technique, I found his attempts at acting in "Timeless" pretty pathetic.
I would never nominate him for an Oscar, but I do believe that Wang gave a much more gripping performance in Timeless than he has given in any other episodes up to this point. Hopefully his good acting continues until the end of the show (although I'm not going to hold my breath).
Old February 16 2012, 07:58 PM   #990
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Hopefully his good acting continues until the end of the show (although I'm not going to hold my breath).
Oh, you poor poor fellow...
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote