New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Fiction

Fan Fiction Other forums talk about Trek. We make it.

Old February 15 2012, 05:48 PM   #31
Outpost68
Ensign

Re: A (hopefully) interesting fanfic discussion topic!

This sounds really interesting I'd love to be a part of it in some way!
Outpost68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2012, 06:11 PM   #32
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
They're from a nearby star system, this is one of the first star systems they've reached after developing warp drive. Their sole claim to the entire system amounts to "we were here first," and also "our home system is closer that yours."
Like it.
The Sioux aliens have claimed the belt in it entirety, they are thinly spread through the belt, and only inhabit a small portion of it. They lack the technology to enforce their claim, and have resorted to isolated raids to encourage other to leave. Sometimes it works.
Already been said but still a good idea.
The belt is slowly in the process of being divide up. Different species, not all from the Federation are arriving. Some are new comers, other have been there for decades, individual miners and also a few professional mining companies (Ezri Dax's family-like). And a couple large corporations too, causing friction with the independents.
Again, this has roughly been said already in some form but a good idea nonetheless.
That would be one story possibility, are they of one mind concerning the raids? Some of them might just be traders, settlers, miners. Each with their own story.
I think this is one of the most interesting aspects of the entire concept - all these different people coming at the thing from different angles and different backgrounds.
And maybe a number of runabout size ships, and sublight shuttles as well, operating off of a beat up old carrier, vintage Romulan War era, it basically loses it warp drive after it arrives.
I'll admit that I do like the imagery of this old carrier-type ship on its last legs finally running out of steam once it arrives, although the whole issue over Starfleet 'involvement' is a difficult one - this venture is a big thing with a lot of Federation citizens involved, so there needs to be a pretty strong reason why Starfleet (knowing how they operate) would send such a vessel and not a stronger force.

Or come up with a reason that Starfleet is left out altogether.
Sandoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2012, 06:17 PM   #33
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
In late 2259, deep within unclaimed and uncharted space four small, tightly grouped together planetary systems were discovered by long-range probes. Known as the Draconii Cluster (Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta), scans have shown that each one has at least on asteroid belt that registers higher than normal levels of minerals, ores and metals—but huddled so closely together, they are a veritable untapped goldmine. Though the Federation wanted to keep the Cluster quiet, until after they could conduct a full survey and then lay claim to the resources, but that wasn’t to be so. Word of the Cluster leaked out and dozens of species, mining corporations and individual hopefuls now has their eyes set on it—a few looking to expand their sphere of influence, others to increase their profits, and some hoping for a new life.
I'll admit that I find it difficult to find fault with any of that, and I'm a man who can usually find fault with most things.

I'm not fond of the name but as a summing up of the whole concept that is difficult to beat.

In the Cluster, as the separate groups begin to stake their claims, small outposts and colonies begin to spring up on many of the asteroids, whilst some of the larger groups opt for small stations for trading or processing the materials. Though many groups work in friendly competition with each other, there are a few are only interested in their own goals and will stop at nothing to achieve them. Matters are compounded when the Insédi, a newly warp capable species from a system near the Cluster, begin hit-and-run attacks, seeing the region as their territory.
Again I don't like the name of the aliens, but again this would appear to sum up the situation perfectly.

If we're going to get this thing off the ground (basically starting with creating the sandbox where everyone can come and play without stepping on each others' toes too much) then Bry's 'pitch' would seem like the place to start.
Old February 15 2012, 06:29 PM   #34
Outpost68
Ensign

The Cimmerian Cluster? A dark, ancient place home to dying stars?
Old February 15 2012, 06:37 PM   #35
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

I could live with Cimmerian Cluster.
Old February 15 2012, 06:59 PM   #36
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

To further drive home just how isolated the Draconi/Cimmerian/yet to be confirmed cluster actually is from Federation space, I think it's important to make the journey out a significant undertaking in itself - lets say three months in the civilian ships being used by these prospectors.

To that end I propose Halfway space station - essentially a backwater refuelling facility that has been dragged out from civilisation to a point (as the name suggests) halway between the asteroid field and the Federation's outermost post.

After six weeks trapped aboard ship going stir-crazy Halfway station is a welcome relief for these people before continuing on with their journey out to the asteroid field. But what started as a vital refuelling and resupply depot (for this region of space is home to virtually nothing but dying stars and airless planets) has evolved into a seedy place catering to whatever hungers these travellers have - bars, brothels, gambling dens and so on.

Halfway station also acts as a dropping off point for those people who are travelling without ships of their own, booking passage on freighters and tankers travelling from the Federation out to Halfway, and then on ships travelling from Halfway to the asteroid field. Some people even lose what money they have at the gaming tables and are unable to continue with their journey, leaving them stranded.

A humble contribution of mine.

Edited to add:
Halfway is situated six weeks out from the Federation on the outskirts of the "Cimmerian" Cluster and another six weeks from the asteroid field - this puts it and the ships travelling to it within range of these "Sioux" aliens who often launch hit-and-run attacks since they are based on a few planets in the region - perhaps breathe carbon-dioxide and live in environments lethally high in CO2 for example - and are thus able to live on worlds that are essentially useless to the usual Star Trek races.

So Halfway is not only a refuelling and resupply depot, it is a also fort located within hostile territory (carrying on the Native American theme) that is understandably a target for these aliens. It is protected by privately-owned warships that fend off whatever hit-and-run attacks are launched by the aliens, as well as coming to the aid of prospector vessels that come under attack nearby - imagine a small convoy being chased like a wagon train under attack by a group of Native American that just manages to reach the safety of Halfway station's guns)

Last edited by Sandoval; February 15 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Old February 15 2012, 09:54 PM   #37
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Sandoval wrote: View Post
I'm not fond of the name but as a summing up of the whole concept that is difficult to beat.

Again I don't like the name of the aliens, but again this would appear to sum up the situation perfectly.
The names were just random ideas that popped into my head, they are just in as placeholders until something else was settled on.

Cimmerian Cluster also works for me. I thought with four systems so close together they would be called Alpha/Beta/etc Cimmerian (or the other way round).

I also really like the idea of Halfway Station, it does make sense to have something out there. I would say nothing bigger than a K-Class, just to make the region feel a little more sparsely populated.
Old February 16 2012, 12:49 AM   #38
The Badger
Fleet Captain

And maybe a number of runabout size ships, and sublight shuttles as well, operating off of a beat up old carrier, vintage Romulan War era, it basically loses it warp drive after it arrives.
I'll admit that I do like the imagery of this old carrier-type ship on its last legs finally running out of steam once it arrives, although the whole issue over Starfleet 'involvement' is a difficult one - this venture is a big thing with a lot of Federation citizens involved, so there needs to be a pretty strong reason why Starfleet (knowing how they operate) would send such a vessel and not a stronger force.

Or come up with a reason that Starfleet is left out altogether.
It doesn't have to be a Star Fleet vessel acting as carrier. Maybe a former Fleet ship, long obsolete, stripped of all weapons and sold off as surplus. Now under the command of a civilian consortium.
The Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 01:30 AM   #39
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

The Badger wrote: View Post
It doesn't have to be a Star Fleet vessel acting as carrier. Maybe a former Fleet ship, long obsolete, stripped of all weapons and sold off as surplus. Now under the command of a civilian consortium.
I like that a lot - an old, beaten up Starfleet vessel that has been through the Romulan War and sold off to a private company.
Old February 16 2012, 02:11 AM   #40
Outpost68
Ensign

A few alien sounding names: Brigalians Banticans Krott Alkari Destris Sparri Navich Katari. I quite like Sparri for the sioux aliens.
Old February 16 2012, 07:59 AM   #41
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

The Badger wrote: View Post
I like that a lot - an old, beaten up Starfleet vessel that has been through the Romulan War and sold off to a private company.
Daedalus-Class perhaps? She would have loads of space to handle a crew of miners plus all their equipment. Some of the ENT era ships could possibly appear (especially the freighters).
Old February 16 2012, 12:29 PM   #42
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

Just to continue with my whole Halfway Space Station train of thought - I see this as a place that a company (I'll use JMC from Red Dwarf as a placeholder name) towed out from the Federation when they could see what was happening with the prospectors and realised that there was money to be made with such an enterprise.

The station itself is an old refinery that was broken down into modules for the journey and reassembled on the outskirts of the Cimmerian Cluster - acting as the changeover point where ships on the 'asteroids-Halfway' leg drop of their passengers and cargoes to be collected by ships who do the 'Halfway-Federation' leg of the journey.

Halfway Station is essentially the only safe haven between the Federation and the asteroid-field - if your ship has a problem there are no habitable planets to seek refuge on - the whole region is a vast, uninhabitable realm. The JMC employees running the station have a vague idea of what ships are destined for Halfway via representatives at the asteroid-field and on the closest Federation outpost that is the 'staging ground' for these prospectors when they set out, but vessels are known to go missing during both legs of the six-week voyage.
Old February 16 2012, 03:11 PM   #43
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Names for consideration for the Sioux-aliens, or any others in the region:

Abbai
Braktali
Cehrona
D'nor
Ethellinite
Felrux
Gghreeht
Hallayda
Insédi
Jek
Khevedan
Lloris
Maetavite
Nyagdel
Omolloan
Pedi
Q'osok
Rhesarhel
Silvaronian
Terkalite
Uhmpa
Vrik-Zah
Wynumi
Xahdai
Yith'los'vrii
Zylan
Old February 16 2012, 11:14 PM   #44
Sandoval
Fleet Captain

What about the aliens having a 'slang' name that the prospectors and everyone use to refer to them - something like the Wraith from Stargate Atlantis?
Old February 17 2012, 02:02 AM   #45
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Halfway Station is essentially the only safe haven between the Federation and the asteroid-field - if your ship has a problem there are no habitable planets to seek refuge on - the whole region is a vast, uninhabitable realm.
Let me make a alteration, between the Federation and the asteroid field there are two large alien powers, empires-republics-kingdoms-whatever. Neither is openly hostile towards the Federation, however neither want the the Federation cutting through their territory (stay off my yard). Now, while they are not hostile toward the Federation, they can't stand each other and have fought a series of wars.

Between them now is a neutral zone.

The only reasonably short route to the asteroid field is to traverse the length of this neutral zone from one end to another. The course required to is as twisted as the zone itself, and civilian ships aren't known for their precision navigational systems.

Entering the territories, on either side could trigger a new war, which amount other things, would close the route to the asteroid field.

Halfway Station is situated in the neutral zone, towed there in pieces and reassembled.

What about the aliens having a 'slang' name that the prospectors and everyone use to refer to them ...
How about a nice girls name, like "Sue."

Cimmerian Cluster
Ah, the birth place of Conan the Barbarian. Cimmerian does have the advantage of containing no apostrophes.