Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 15 2012, 12:31 AM   #406
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

I like Falling Skies okay, but they could stand to kick it up a notch. It's a bit too middle-America-bland right now.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2012, 04:30 AM   #407
JD
Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Shows like Warehouse 13, Eureka, Sanctuary et cetera are not light and fluffy-- they're just not dark and gritty. They are all very solid, well-written, well-produced and well-cast shows that seldom fail to entertain. They're certainly a far cry better than the "rated M for Mature" stuff that is currently considered "edgy."
This pretty much sums up my feelings as well.
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
It's not the fluffiness, it's the formulaic nature of those shows I dislike. It's possible for a show to be both dark/grim and formulaic, and that's no better.

Two examples: Alcatraz and Grimm. I'm running out of patience for both. Is it too much to ask for a show not to cling to the tired mission-of-the-week format? (Ironically, Grimm has a fair amount of humor and charm, which will probably keep me watching after I've bailed on Alcatraz).
Ok, I do agree with you on Alcatraz, I gave up after the first pair of episodes. It was too much of just a generic cop show for me, and the mythology wasn't interesting enough to keep me interested during the cop show stories. Grimm on the other hand, I love. Sure it's basically just a cop show, but I find the cases, mythology aspects, and the characters interesting enough that I still really enjoy the episodes. I don't mind so much if it's formulaic if the writing, stories, and universe are interesting to me.
Old February 15 2012, 10:43 AM   #408
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Is it too much to ask for a show not to cling to the tired mission-of-the-week format?
That's a classic format. Star Trek did it. Sherlock Holmes did it. Odysseus did it. I like it just fine.

JD wrote: View Post
I don't mind so much if it's formulaic if the writing, stories, and universe are interesting to me.
Exactly. And if I like the characters. It's all about the quality, not the format.
Old February 15 2012, 03:10 PM   #409
Christopher
Writer

Lots of shows in recent years have told serialized stories rather than case/client-of-the-week stories, but the client format survives because it works. Yes, there's value in an ongoing, long-form story in which each episode is merely a chapter, provided the long-form story is worthwhile. But there's also value in having each episode be a complete and fulfilling tale in itself. If you're going to tell a story in an episodic format, it makes sense to structure it as a series of distinct episodes, rather than just one big story that takes a weeklong break after every 42 minutes of content. That's why plenty of shows these days combine a client-of-the-week plot formula with serialized character or mythology arcs. It's a balance that's proven successful and popular. (Although like any other format, it can become tired or cliched, particularly if it overdoes the approach of having every case of the week resonate directly and obviously with the main characters' personal arcs.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2012, 08:07 PM   #410
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Is it too much to ask for a show not to cling to the tired mission-of-the-week format?
That's a classic format. Star Trek did it. Sherlock Holmes did it. Odysseus did it. I like it just fine.
The average TV show is not being written by Homer. Maybe Homer Simpson.

Lots of shows in recent years have told serialized stories rather than case/client-of-the-week stories, but the client format survives because it works.
There's an audience for it, but unless the show is of particularly good quality, I'm not part of that audience.

Then again, I'm not the audience for a bad serialized show either. Plenty of those going around, just look at The River.
Old February 15 2012, 08:19 PM   #411
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

There's an audience for it, but unless the show is of particularly good quality, I'm not part of that audience.

Then again, I'm not the audience for a bad serialized show either. Plenty of those going around, just look at The River.
Not to derail your thread into this debate but a friend of mine is a casual ST viewer and disliked DS9 because you'd have to go back and rewatch 10 episodes to catch up with the seralization and themes that followed the story.

Voyger/TNG on the other hand didn't require as much the viewer to 'catch up.'
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2012, 08:34 PM   #412
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Derail away, I don't care what we talk about. Yeah, serialization can be a tough sell because it requires people to invest time in following it and catching up on it. So a show needs to be of exceptional quality to motivate that amount of attention. I made an effort to catch up on the first two seasons of Justified so I'd understand the third, and that show is only semi-serialized.
Old February 15 2012, 10:15 PM   #413
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Zero Hour has a fun-sounding globe-trotting aspect...

Zero Hour is a drama about a magazine editor who finds himself in what could be the biggest conspiracy of all time. It takes place in France and Germany in 1938 and in present day Chicago as well as the Alps and the Arctic Tundra.
The Montreal filming is probably a stand-in for France and Germany. No casting news yet.
Old February 15 2012, 10:41 PM   #414
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Katie Cassidy has been cast as the female lead of Arrow.
Old February 15 2012, 11:38 PM   #415
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile

I made an effort to catch up on the first two seasons of Justified so I'd understand the third, and that show is only semi-serialized.
btw: I think Justified's first season is an excellent example of how to do a "case of the week" show right. In almost every episode, they introduce one or two characters that are infinitely more interesting and complex than the entire casts of Alcatraz or most Syfy shows combined. And the plots always feel fresh, even if it's just another "criminal of the week".
Old February 15 2012, 11:54 PM   #416
RJDiogenes

The average TV show is not being written by Homer. Maybe Homer Simpson.
The quality of individual series or stories doesn't impact the validity of a particular format. The difference between episodic and serialized television is the same difference as short stories and novels; neither one is inherently superior to the other.
Old February 16 2012, 12:56 AM   #417
Christopher
Writer

^Right. Moreover, "episodic" and "serialized" aren't absolute categories, they're just tools in the kit, and most shows employ a mix of both approaches. It always bewilders me that people insist on this totally false notion that TV shows can be split down the middle between those two categories. That's a caricature that bears almost no resemblance to reality.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 05:35 AM   #418
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

‘Lost’ Alum Terry O’Quinn’s Next TV Gig: Starring Role In ABC Supernatural Pilot

One of Lost‘s most popular stars, Terry O’Quinn, is back on the supernatural drama beat and back at ABC with a lead role in the network’s drama pilot 666 Park Avenue. Based on the Alloy book series by Gabriella Pierce, the project centers on a young couple who accept an offer to manage one of the most historic apartment buildings in New York City. Unwittingly, they begin to experience supernatural occurrences, which complicate and endanger the lives of everyone in the building. O’Quinn will play Gavin, the building’s owner.
http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/arro...-add-to-casts/

Willa Holland (Gossip Girl) has been cast in the modern retelling of the story of DC Comics character Green Arrow.

Holland will play Thea Queen, Oliver’s celebutante younger sister who’s testing the boundaries of acceptable behavior
Old February 16 2012, 10:35 AM   #419
RJDiogenes

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Right. Moreover, "episodic" and "serialized" aren't absolute categories, they're just tools in the kit, and most shows employ a mix of both approaches. It always bewilders me that people insist on this totally false notion that TV shows can be split down the middle between those two categories. That's a caricature that bears almost no resemblance to reality.
That's true, as well. Shows like Monk and Bones have used an episodic format while the characters lives evolve in the background.
Old February 16 2012, 02:53 PM   #420
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Right. Moreover, "episodic" and "serialized" aren't absolute categories, they're just tools in the kit, and most shows employ a mix of both approaches.
Yes the X-Files were episodic and yet the characters had arcs spanning a few episodes and other arcs spanning a whole season or 2.

ENT was episodic for season 1 & 2. Season 3 they tried a serialized type of storytelling and I thought it was fine as I only watched it on DVD and not during the initial broadcast.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote