RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,701
Members: 24,209
Currently online: 796
Newest member: pagtwashin

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 13 2012, 04:20 AM   #691
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

RyuRoots wrote: View Post
I apparently have never even SEEN this strange version of ME2 you seem to have played.
Pretty much what Skywalker posted. Or even not as a sole survivor, simply for what they did to Admiral Kohoku during ME1. My Shep would have shot Miranda & Jacob on the station at the start & stolen the shuttle, had she been given the option.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 08:50 AM   #692
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I wasn't impressed by the way they danced around that issue in ME2 either, but it's just a minor quibble IMO.

In other news, Casey Hudson has officially announced that ME3 has just gone gold (so anything that's still broken will have to wait for the 1.01 patch ) We're also apparantly in store for another salvo from EA and/or Bioware's marketing department.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2012, 03:21 PM   #693
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
RyuRoots wrote: View Post
I apparently have never even SEEN this strange version of ME2 you seem to have played.
Pretty much what Skywalker posted. Or even not as a sole survivor, simply for what they did to Admiral Kohoku during ME1. My Shep would have shot Miranda & Jacob on the station at the start & stolen the shuttle, had she been given the option.
Where as mine is lets find out why they brought someone back from the dead who blew up some of their bases back from the dead as it might be important, epecially since there are later oportunities to blow up Cerberus bases.

After that it was either work with them or deal with the Council who want to stick their heads in the sand while the Reapers kill everyone, while everybody else seems to forget THEIR STILL COMING.

Besides My Shep probably crippled their organization by walking away with most of their non-racists nutcase members which is possibly most of their members period according to EDI, and I got a new ship out of it.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2012, 07:07 PM   #694
John Clark
Commodore

I'm going to give the demo a try. (The PC one seems to be downloading from Origin at the moment)
Old February 14 2012, 07:53 PM   #695
LeadHead
Director of Comedy

Location: Either in the Sirius Sector Block or on the Normandy SR-2

^ Please let us know if it is spoilercity. I'm pretty sure i won't play the demo, but if it's not full of spoilers i'll hang in there for 3 more weeks.

Check out the Caption contests in the TOS, TNG and Movies I-X forums!
LeadHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2012, 08:56 PM   #696
Arrqh
Vice Admiral

View Arrqh's Twitter Profile

The first part of the demo is literally the opening of the game, so I wouldn't really consider that spoilery. The second part, however, is a section from later on so if you're dead set against spoilers you should probably stay away.

The multiplayer portion of the demo, while limited, is pretty fun.
Old February 14 2012, 09:08 PM   #697
John Clark
Commodore

LeadHead wrote: View Post
^ Please let us know if it is spoilercity. I'm pretty sure i won't play the demo, but if it's not full of spoilers i'll hang in there for 3 more weeks.
Will do but it'll probably be tomorrow or thursday. I'll probably only be playing the first level and messing with the character creation bit though. As Arrqh mentions, that shouldn't be too spoilery.

(I too am trying to avoid too many spoilers, but I also want a quick go to see how the various changes affect the game play)

Edit to add:-
Well, I gave it a quick blast and I'll probably be missing from the forum come early march. I'm going to be hooked again, but that wasn't a surprise for this series when it comes to me.

Non spoilery thoughts:-
It's faster paced (which led to me accidentally vaulting a wall when I meant to take cover behind it)
Character creation has been edited slightly but my imported Femshep looked ok. (Used the code to import as the demo doesn't import your saved game but that was expected. There is one quick question to answer for some background history though).

Origin didn't seem to screw things up for me

There aren't too many spoilers in the first level, but it goes straight onto the second mission of the demo without a pause and there are spoilers in the cut scene before that level starts.

Last edited by John Clark; February 14 2012 at 10:13 PM.
John Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2012, 10:15 PM   #698
Skywalker
Admiral

Downloading the demo right now!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2012, 01:14 AM   #699
Camren
Commodore

Demo was quite good. It contained a decent amount of story and action. Yes it's very much spoilery but if anyone has been watching the trailers and previews etc. then you should know what to expect.

Camren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2012, 02:22 AM   #700
Skywalker
Admiral

Dear BioWare,

Old February 15 2012, 04:10 AM   #701
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Well that was certainly fun. They certainly fixed the problem of the battlefields being too much like shooting galleries. Several time I had to actually *think* about where I was in relation to the enemy and really work at protecting my flanks. If this was the new "normal" difficulty then they've defiantly stepping things up notch or two. It felt more like ME2's "hardcore" and in a good way. The enemy and squad AI was noticeably better and the enemies themselves were much more varied.

The new power upgrades look cool too. I've only played as a soldier so far but already I can see the drastic improvements. Not least of all 'concussive shot' has all of a sudden become *useful* and even better, it looks like a fully upgraded one would be devastating!

The weapons fell and sound a *lot* better! At one point I shot an enemy with a shotgun, at point blank range, with the cryo ammo activated, during an adrenaline rush and he *exploded* in a hail of tiny frozen pieces. My jaw. It dropped.

Nice to see more in-mission character banter; the bit between a certain Krogan and a certain Turian on the shuttle was priceless.

I do have a few (minor) complaints though. Firstly, while I do like the increased mobility, pressing 'space' to try and get out of cover tends to result in Shepard doing a jump-roll across the room. I think it's just a matter of getting used to pressing back ('s') instead to detach myself from a wall, but all that twitch muscle memory from ME2 is still pretty ingrained.

Secondly, I wasn't very happy the look of the custom faces. Like John Clark I used a facecode to recreate one of my Shepards, but unlike JC mine just looked...off. Sure the skin and hair textures look better (*especially* the hair!) but there was something odd about the proportions that made the face look somehow smaller. Also, the eyes...they have this off-putting milky plastic look to them.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2012, 04:33 AM   #702
Skywalker
Admiral

Yeah, I had to adjust my custom faces to make them look right. They must have done some serious tweaks to the engine if the custom faces look so off now.
Old February 15 2012, 05:06 AM   #703
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
Well that was certainly fun. They certainly fixed the problem of the battlefields being too much like shooting galleries.
They did? Funny, they felt even more constrained and linear to me than ME2 does...

If this was the new "normal" difficulty then they've defiantly stepping things up notch or two. It felt more like ME2's "hardcore" and in a good way. The enemy and squad AI was noticeably better and the enemies themselves were much more varied.
Well... I noticed that the "Veteran" difficulty was missing. I suspect that "Causal" became "Narrative", "Normal" -> "Casual", and "Veteran" -> "Normal" (with "Hardcore" and "Insanity" the same as before).

I wonder if Hardcore/Insanity will be unlocked from the go in retail? I wonder if I'm dumb enough to try them? Though coming in with a level 30 character will probably help.

I think it's just a matter of getting used to pressing back ('s') instead to detach myself from a wall, but all that twitch muscle memory from ME2 is still pretty ingrained.
I'd just argue that you ingrained yourself wrong - I always used back.

Secondly, I wasn't very happy the look of the custom faces.
I'm not sure the face codes were ever intended for use cross-game like that (especially since the 360 version doesn't expose them). I guess we'll see whether they get mucked up on import or not.

Personally, I found the opening mission a bit trite and convenient.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old February 15 2012, 05:11 AM   #704
Skywalker
Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post

On another note, I thought the music was excellent. I can't wait to hear the whole soundtrack. It's too bad Jack Wall couldn't be a part of this, but it sounds like Clint Mansell has done a great job in his place.

Last edited by Skywalker; February 15 2012 at 06:26 AM.
Old February 15 2012, 07:01 AM   #705
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post

Skywalker wrote: View Post
On another note, I thought the music was excellent. I can't wait to hear the whole soundtrack. It's too bad Jack Wall couldn't be a part of this, but it sounds like Clint Mansell has done a great job in his place.
It was good music, but I wish we'd gotten more than the one statement of older themes (that I frankly think was recycled from ME2).