TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old February 13 2012, 11:59 PM   #46
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Re: Masterpiece Classic: Downton Abbey 2x01

I can't support Edith after what she did to Mary. That was just completely malicious and has ruined several lives now. This was the first time I didn't like Sybil as much either, because she seemed a little full of herself.

I've never seen that much attraction between Mary and Matthew. I mean, I hear them say the lines and I can believe that they feel strongly for one another but not as more than friends. And with Lavinia being so sweet, it seems a shame that they had to write her out. Of course, that's why they had to write her out. But I don't feel that invested in Mary/Matthew.

The Dowager Countess just gets more and more awesome with each episode.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2012, 05:28 PM   #47
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

It's funny. I buy Matthew/Mary, but can't get into Sybil/Branson. The actors playing Matthew and Mary can pull off the yearning looks and unspoken feelings, ditto for Bates and Anna, but I'm not feeling any real heat between Sybil and the chaffeur, no matter how much the show keeps telling us they're in love.
Old February 14 2012, 05:38 PM   #48
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

No, I agree. The Sybil/Branson thing has fallen flat for me this year. I thought it started out promisingly with that moment when he drove her to her training and he told her that he'd wait for her, but ever since it's just laid flat on the screen.

I think it's down to the actors -- I know that the show treats Edith like a fifth wheel but Laura Carmichael brings some character and intensity to the role, while Sybil seems to be doing important stuff yet Jessica Brown-Findlay can't do anything better than to look hot and be bland.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2012, 05:44 PM   #49
Neroon
Mod of balance

I agree that this series conclusion was pretty rough, although not quite as far-reaching as last series'. Interestingly, as tragic as Lavinia's sudden death was, it was not as effective on me. Maybe that's because I suspected all along something would happen to her. For my part, it was Matthew's crushing realization at what Lavinia had seen/overheard. The guilt he felt ... that's a burden almost incalculable in its power.
Old February 14 2012, 05:48 PM   #50
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I think it's down to the actors -- I know that the show treats Edith like a fifth wheel but Laura Carmichael brings some character and intensity to the role, while Sybil seems to be doing important stuff yet Jessica Brown-Findlay can't do anything better than to look hot and be bland.
Agreed. And it doesn't help that Branson often comes off as unlikeable. I mean, sure, he's passionate and politically committed and all, but this is also a guy who was going to dump a tray of sludge over a visiting guest's head, just to make a political statement; who turned the news of Tsar's family being slaughtered into yet another romantic appeal to Sybil ("Sometimes sacrifices need to be made.), and who often came off as borderline-stalkery where Sybil is concerned.

Granted, the latter may just be because Jessica Brown-Findlay wasn't selling her side of their grand passion, so his scenes with her may have come off as more one-sided than the producers intended!
Old February 15 2012, 11:16 PM   #51
Winged Victory
Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
It's funny. I buy Matthew/Mary, but can't get into Sybil/Branson. The actors playing Matthew and Mary can pull off the yearning looks and unspoken feelings, ditto for Bates and Anna, but I'm not feeling any real heat between Sybil and the chaffeur, no matter how much the show keeps telling us they're in love.
Same here; Matthew ()/Mary and Anna/Bates have real chemistry but something is very lacking with Sybil/Branson. I think someone said up thread that Sybil was just looking for a ticket away from her family, to feel useful nursing, and running away with Branson is that ticket.

I can't wait for the next episode! They're going to be making a third series for next year so I hope they don't do a horrible cliffhanger. I don't think I could stand the year-long wait...
Old February 16 2012, 06:14 AM   #52
propita
Rear Admiral

A couple of episodes ago, Branson was getting verbally abusive towards Sybil. I was figuring she was walking into a bad situation. But in the last episode, he seemed very different and seems to be far less political.

Looking forward to the Xmas show!
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16 2012, 11:02 PM   #53
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I broke down and watched the Christmas Special when my discs arrived in the mail. In pacing and feel it was much more in line with season one. I loved it.
Old February 20 2012, 12:12 AM   #54
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

The second season ends tonight with the Christmas Special:
Christmas, 1919

Christmas reunites most of the Grantham family as Rosamund, her gossipy maid Shore in tow, arrives eager to introduce her new suitor to the family. But neither the Granthams nor the servants can escape into the season's merriment when they are forced to turn against one of their own. Not even games can pierce the gloom surrounding Downton, where downstairs the servants are desperate for guidance. Thomas and O'Brien are up to their old tricks, Daisy tries to make sense of her future, and Anna holds tight to endure the present.

Robert hopes that the annual New Years Shooting Party will lift everyone's spirits, but an ill-tempered Richard resets his sights on a familiar target. His petulant and brutish efforts to dominate Mary do not go unnoticed. But with his threat hanging over her head, Mary must choose between two kinds of ruin.
What's going to happen with Bates? Will Sir Richard finally be seen as the bastard that he is? Will Matthew suffer even more over-wrought emotional agony? Will Isobel and Violet trade verbal barbs? Will Edith have her heart broken again? Will Mrs. Patmore dispense inane wisdom in the downstairs? Will Mr. Carson scowl?

It's Christmas at Downton!

allyngibson.net
Old February 20 2012, 12:23 AM   #55
Neroon
Mod of balance

While you're waiting to watch tonight's episode (or even if you've already seen it...), here's something to pass the time....
Old February 20 2012, 12:34 AM   #56
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

This is also good, the Downton Abbey trading cards.

allyngibson.net
Old February 20 2012, 12:44 AM   #57
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

The real dilemma: do I go for Walking Dead or Downtown Abbey tonight?

What to watch first?
Old February 20 2012, 03:09 AM   #58
Winged Victory
Captain

I broke down after last week's episode and bought the Series 2 DVD; holy moly, tonight's episode is the best and well worth the wait! The last scene in particular:
Old February 20 2012, 05:33 AM   #59
Neroon
Mod of balance

Did you get the feeling that they might be dragging it out a bit to open a window for someone/thing else to mess it up for Matthew & Mary?

BTW, I'm looking forward to next series when Shirley McClain arrives as Cora's mother. Just imagine the scenes between her and Maggie Smith!
Old February 20 2012, 08:09 AM   #60
Kestra
Vice Admiral

I haven't finished the Christmas special yet but how cute is Daisy with Williams's father? Love that. Also this is probably the first time I've bought the Matthew/Mary thing.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote