Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed

Trek Big Bang Figures

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 11 2012, 04:40 AM   #376
JD
Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

^Did anyone even see the movie?
Old February 11 2012, 10:29 AM   #377
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Not I.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Well, to be fair, TV and movies are where most of the audience and money are found these days, so it's an understandable attitude.
Sure, it's understandable from a purely business point of view, but it's still sad, in a number of ways.
Old February 11 2012, 04:41 PM   #378
Christopher
Writer

Well, it's not solely about business, I think. As a creator, you want to see your ideas reach a sizeable audience. And the audience for comics these days is tiny compared to what it used to be.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 07:46 PM   #379
RJDiogenes

Indeed. That's part of the sadness.
Old February 11 2012, 10:59 PM   #380
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I never saw The Legion, but the topic doesn't really interest me for a TV series...

The Atlantic weighs in on their favorite pilots.

Hmm, that list doesn't really coincide very well with my own tastes, maybe I should cancel my subscription. Here are the ones I like best:

Beautiful People
The Frontier
Revolution
Kevin Bacon vs. Marc Antony
Last Resort
666 Park Avenue
Astrophysicist vs the Antichrist
The Selection
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 03:07 PM   #381
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Francis Lawrence has signed to direct the pilot for Gotham. Lawrence's work includes the feature films Constantine and I am Legend. This will be his third time directing a TV pilot, the first two being NBC's Kings and Fox's Touch.

Yves Simoneau will direct the pilot for ABC's Beauty and the Beast. This is an adaptation of the fairy tale that's set entirely in a fantasy world (as opposed to the CW pilot for a remake of the 1980s series with a contemporary setting). Simoneau has many TV movies and miniseries to his credit. The last two pilots he directed were those for the V remake and The 4400.

Mark Piznarski will direct the pilot for the CW's The Selection. His past work includes the pilots for Everwood, Veronica Mars and Gossip Girl.

Brad Anderson will direct the pilot for NBC's Midnight Sun. His past work includes the feature films The Machinist and Transsiberian, as well as many TV credits, including episodes of Treme and Boardwalk Empire.
Old February 13 2012, 06:30 PM   #382
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
Ugh, SyFy channel keeps finding new ways to impress me with their ineptness. Legion was a horrible movie, but more importantly the story makes no sense and padding some version of that story to fill out a series is just going to make those plot holes turn into canyons.
Funny-I thought it sounded like Angel with a hint of Armageddon mixed in.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 06:53 PM   #383
Caliburn24
Commodore

^I was hoping for something close to that when I watched Legion.

It was not what I got. It was a jumbled fiasco with a core problem that God is the ultimate Deus Ex Machina and when written badly as in Legion, it just makes for a horrible mess of a story.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 07:53 PM   #384
Christopher
Writer

^Well, shows based on movies aren't necessarily the same in tone or approach as the movies they're based on. They can be much better. For instance, Alien Nation, the film, set up a fascinating SF premise in which alien slave/refugees had become the latest immigrant population in Los Angeles, but mostly squandered it in favor of a by-the-numbers buddy-cop action flick; whereas Alien Nation, the series, was a wonderfully rich and fascinating examination of all the dramatic, character, and philosophical possibilities that the movie failed to develop. Similarly, the movie Stargate introduced a concept with unlimited possibilities and wasted it on rehashing tired old Egyptian and ancient-astronaut tropes, while the Stargate TV shows took full advantage of the possibilities and constructed a rich, enormous, detailed, and mostly consistent universe.

Oh, and how could I forget Buffy the Vampire Slayer? Lousy movie, excellent series.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 08:23 PM   #385
Caliburn24
Commodore

Sure, it is possible the Legion series could be good. Stranger things have happened. I'll probably watch the pilot.

But it has a massive hurdle to overcome, and one that no series that I know of has managed. To take God, angels, demons, Lucifer whoever, and make an interesting story of it without making it an expressly religious tale.

From most reports(haven't seen it myself) Supernatural took a dip in quality when it introduced God and all that stuff.

The Golden Compass books started great and faded fast as God and the war became the main plot of things.

The Prophecy movies? The Left Behind movies? Laughable.

The only time Angels/God/etc elements seem to work well that I can recall is lighter stuff like A Wonderful Life or Touched By an Angel.

And Legion is not going to be anything like those in tone.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 10:38 PM   #386
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It will be interesting to see how well genre pilots fare in pickups, given the example set by The Walking Dead. More basic cable records fall to the zombie apocalypse.

Everyone in cable land must be paying attention to how that show fared vs the big-deal Grammys, when other shows saw their ratings fall because of the Whitney Houston hype. That kind of immunity to special events is very impressive, and should opens up the field for more sf/f series that are heavy on character drama and not obsessed with all action, all the time.

There aren't many actual zombie series in contention for cable, well not any unless you count Zombies and Cheerleaders. But there are several that look like they could follow TWD's modus operandi:

AMC has Thunderstruck - humanity plagued with doubts and fears due to mysterious alien visitations (doesn't that sound just perfect for Rick, Lori and Shane?) FX has Powers - based on a graphic novel, too! Sounds like that one is in rewrites but I'm still hopeful.

HBO has Year Zero (dystopian future); Showtime has The Damned (gang war between demons in Chicago) and Under the Dome (Stephen King story about a trapped town). TNT's genre pilots follow more of the cop-show model; Falling Skies might serve as their answer to TWD (lame as that might be).
Old February 13 2012, 11:35 PM   #387
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/tv-c...animals-add-2/

Shawn Ashmore, co-star of the X-Men movie franchise, and Valorie Curry, who has a part in the upcoming Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn – Part 2, have joined the cast of Fox’s untitled Kevin Williamson drama pilot led by Kevin Bacon and James Purefoy

Ashmore, will play a junior FBI agent who is part of the task force assisting Hardy (Bacon) in the search for Carroll. Curry, will play a young nanny who cares for Carroll’s son.

Old February 14 2012, 12:08 AM   #388
RJDiogenes

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
That kind of immunity to special events is very impressive, and should opens up the field for more sf/f series that are heavy on character drama and not obsessed with all action, all the time.
Such optimism. I hope you're right.
Old February 14 2012, 01:01 AM   #389
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I'll bet we'll see a couple interesting genre pilots on cable next season. Not on SyFy of course...
Old February 14 2012, 02:56 AM   #390
JD
Admiral

I have the complete opposite reaction when it comes to SyFy, at this point I'll try pretty much anything they do. SG-1, SG:A, Farscape, Eureka, W13, BSG, and Caprica are all favorites of mine. I wouldn't call them favorites, but I've really enjoyed Alphas, The Dresden Files and Sanctuary, and I didn't hate SG:U nearly as much as most people seemed to. At this point if Alphas picks up in quality in the next season or two it'll probably be added to my favorites list. Of their current fictional shows the only ones I haven't watched Haven, and Being Human, but I'm consider Netflixing them to correct that. I will admit I have no interest whatsoever in Legion.