The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 12 2012, 03:43 PM   #676
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Mass Effect 3

LeadHead wrote: View Post
Anybody else gearing up to start a character in ME1, continue in ME2 and have him/her ready to go for ME3? (I mean have the character only recently finished for ME3, like the day or two before)
Yep. Started ME1 in January, and I'm in the middle of ME2 now (still on disc 1, pre-Horizon - I'm kinda leery about my chances of actually finishing in time!).

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 03:45 PM   #677
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Well i'm about to start from scratch with ME 1 as I got a new PC I want to play the game on.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 05:13 PM   #678
Reverend
Rear Admiral

ATimson wrote: View Post
LeadHead wrote: View Post
Anybody else gearing up to start a character in ME1, continue in ME2 and have him/her ready to go for ME3? (I mean have the character only recently finished for ME3, like the day or two before)
Yep. Started ME1 in January, and I'm in the middle of ME2 now (still on disc 1, pre-Horizon - I'm kinda leery about my chances of actually finishing in time!).
^Depends on if you want a complete playthrough. If not then there's quite a few corners you can cut. Just be sure you have at least two loyal teamates by the end of the suicide mission.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 05:45 PM   #679
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Reverend wrote: View Post
^Depends on if you want a complete playthrough. If not then there's quite a few corners you can cut. Just be sure you have at least two loyal teamates by the end of the suicide mission.
I'm hoping to do a fairly complete one. Though I may try to get Miranda & Mordin killed, now that I think about it.

Also, a word of warning for anybody doing this: uninstall Arrival. Or else the intro cutscene will trigger as soon as you finish Horizon and try to use your terminal.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
Old February 12 2012, 06:21 PM   #680
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

Also, a word of warning for anybody doing this: uninstall Arrival. Or else the intro cutscene will trigger as soon as you finish Horizon and try to use your terminal.
Yeah, I thought that was a really mindboggling decision by BioWare. Arrival is clearly meant to occur after the Suicide Mission (as is Lair of the Shadow Broker). They should have just programmed both DLCs to trigger after Shepard returns from the SM.
Jar Jar Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 06:56 PM   #681
Reverend
Rear Admiral

While I don't think they should have locked both DLC missions out entierly until after the endgame, I do agree that forcing you to take Hackett's transmission right after Horizon was very jarring. A better option would have been a simple email from him asking Shepard to get in contact ASAP. Then when you go to your quarters there'd be a prompt on your desk that you can activate to initiate the call. That way you could have chosen to talk to him right away, or put it off till last.

Actually, one of the things I kind of want included in ME3 is the ability to choose to call someone and have a conversation from the comm room. I mean, in ME2 wouldn't it have been nice to have been able to just walk into a room and speak to say, Anderson, Liara or Wrex without having to fly the damn ship halfway across the galaxy?
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 07:34 PM   #682
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
Yeah, I thought that was a really mindboggling decision by BioWare. Arrival is clearly meant to occur after the Suicide Mission (as is Lair of the Shadow Broker). They should have just programmed both DLCs to trigger after Shepard returns from the SM.
Arrival, certainly. Lair, from dev comments at the time, actually has dialogue so it'll work both places (though the "intended" place is post-SM).

Old February 12 2012, 07:39 PM   #683
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral

It does have dialogue that works either way, but I think it works better post-SM. And in Arrival, if you play it pre-SM, I believe the Collector General appears in holographic form rather than Harbinger.
Old February 12 2012, 11:18 PM   #684
23skidoo
Admiral

Is it true there's no ME1 available for the PS3? That's a shame. I just finished my first run through of the ME2 and quite enjoyed it. (I'm aware the most recent edition of ME2 for the PS3 has an "interactive backstory" included, but for some reason it doesn't work on the copy I have. I'm told it's supposed to kick in at the very start of the game, but nada).

I am however a bit torn regarding whether I should buy ME3 when it comes out in a few weeks or if I should wait. Presumably they're going to do that whole DLC thing again. And yeah I could download them and pay the fee, only my PS3 isn't hooked up to the internet and given certain security issues in the past I'm hesitant to change this anytime soon. So maybe I should wait until another "expanded edition" comes out for the PS3 with the DLC material included?

True, the PS3 edition didn't have all the DLC material - I just learned of the existence of the so-called "war veteran" extra character. But it had Kasumi (who I found when teamed with Miranda made for an unbeatable group in all but a handful of non-loyalty missions, including the final battle) and introduced FemShep's LBD as well as the way-cool Shadow Broker Easter eggs. I agree it does feel like Shadow Broker was meant to be post-suicide mission, but we're so conditioned into thinking that the game ends when the credits roll I bet most people just finish the mission as early as possible. Which is good anyway because of the bonus upgrades and resources you get, though it does spoil Legion in advance. I'm replaying ME2 and intend to do Shadow Broker the moment it's offered so I can access the goodies.

So there might be rewards for waiting.

Like most things I'll probably make the decision when I'm standing in Game Spot or Best Buy with a copy of it in my hands...

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 11:26 PM   #685
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

23skidoo wrote: View Post
Is it true there's no ME1 available for the PS3?
That's correct. ME1 was originally published by Microsoft Game Studios (for Xbox 360, but the Windows PC version by EA), but subsequent BioWare titles have been published by Electronic Arts because the studio was purchased by EA in 2007.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 12:10 AM   #686
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Is it true there's no ME1 available for the PS3? That's a shame. I just finished my first run through of the ME2 and quite enjoyed it. (I'm aware the most recent edition of ME2 for the PS3 has an "interactive backstory" included, but for some reason it doesn't work on the copy I have. I'm told it's supposed to kick in at the very start of the game, but nada).
My understanding is that the comic is free on PS3, but you still have to download it from the Playstation Store.

So maybe I should wait until another "expanded edition" comes out for the PS3 with the DLC material included?
They never did that for ME2, and the one for ME1 on 360 only had one of the two DLC.

In short: I wouldn't count on such an edition.

True, the PS3 edition didn't have all the DLC material - I just learned of the existence of the so-called "war veteran" extra character.
Everything that I've read has said that Zaeed is in the PS3 version too. And he's pretty hard to miss. I don't know why you didn't find him, unless he's bugged without a patch you don't have.

[EDIT: I did some research, and it looks like Zaeed (and the other Cerberus Network content) requires a download on PS3 as well, and weren't actually included on-disc.]

But it is missing Arrival, which released after the PS3 version.

Last edited by ATimson; February 13 2012 at 01:14 AM.
Old February 13 2012, 01:37 AM   #687
HotRod
Commander

In short, you need an internet connected console or PC to fully enjoy Mass Effect 2. And really, you need a good PC or a 360 to get the full experience of Mass Effect. Without playing the 1st, ME2 feels sort of.........pointless. It's like starting to watch a really good movie but missing the first act. Sure you can maybe figure out what is going on, but you really never fully grasp the plot. I can't imagine enjoying Mass Effect near as much as I do if I had not played the 1st. And the digital comic does not do it justice. It skipped entire plot lines!
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 01:41 AM   #688
ATimson
Rear Admiral

HotRod wrote: View Post
Without playing the 1st, ME2 feels sort of.........pointless. It's like starting to watch a really good movie but missing the first act. Sure you can maybe figure out what is going on, but you really never fully grasp the plot.
On the bright side, you won't get pissed off when Shepherd is acting out of character throughout the entire sequel and you can't fix it.

Old February 13 2012, 04:04 AM   #689
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

HotRod wrote: View Post
Without playing the 1st, ME2 feels sort of.........pointless. It's like starting to watch a really good movie but missing the first act. Sure you can maybe figure out what is going on, but you really never fully grasp the plot.
On the bright side, you won't get pissed off when Shepherd is acting out of character throughout the entire sequel and you can't fix it.
I apparently have never even SEEN this strange version of ME2 you seem to have played.
Old February 13 2012, 04:11 AM   #690
Jar Jar Binks
Admiral