Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 11 2012, 08:38 AM   #901
Skywalker
Admiral

Re: TheGodBen Revisits Deep Space Nine

I like that Mirror Bashir was unlikeable. I actually thought they made certain MU characters, such as Smiley, too likeable. The Mirror Universe is supposed to be full of twisted and evil versions of the Prime Universe inhabitants. We really shouldn't be rooting for either the Alliance or the Rebellion, because no matter who won, the Mirror Universe was going to keep on being a terrible place.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 08:47 AM   #902
Admiral Shran
Admiral

True, but even with a twisted version of one of our heroes, we should still be able to find something to identify with in them, IMO.

Take Mirror Spock - he was a twisted and evil version of "normal" Spock, true. However, he was still a man you could respect, even if he was much more morally corrupt than our Spock.

Mirror Bashir, on the other hand, has nothing like that at all.
Old February 11 2012, 08:48 AM   #903
Skywalker
Admiral

I agree. This is why they shouldn't have gone back to the MU after "Crossover."
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 08:58 AM   #904
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

If you assume Mirror Bashir wasn't genetically modified, as seems likely, then it doesn't seem like such a stretch that this is how he'd turn out.

Besides, I believe the whole point to making him unlikeable was to add a layer of complexity and conflict to the folks we're supposed to be rooting for. Smiley wants a better world; Bashir would recreate the Terran Empire.
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 09:03 AM   #905
Admiral Shran
Admiral

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I agree. This is why they shouldn't have gone back to the MU after "Crossover."
I wouldn't go that far.
Old February 11 2012, 09:37 AM   #906
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

You know, honestly, I can't dislike Through The Looking Glass. I just find it fun. On occasion, particularly with a show as plot heavy as DS9 becomes, I enjoy an episode that's there more for fun than for serious drama.

Also, side note, it's the first episode of DS9 I remember actually seeing, or rather, the first half of an episode I actually saw, since I remember about the last half or so being what I first sat down to watch DS9 with. I was eight or so and I was VERY confused, since I'd seen preview clips from Season 2 and saw Kira as a good guy. I remember thinking it was a flashback.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 09:44 AM   #907
USS Fardell
Captain

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Fardell Send a message via Yahoo to USS Fardell

Admiral Shran wrote: View Post

The Storyteller is a bad episode, clearly ripped from the TNG production schedule and transplanted onto DS9. Like TheGodBen said, it has nothing to do with the Bajor we know, even by this point in the series.

Supposedly, this village has been struggling with this monster for decades because they needed a common enemy to fight against in order to unite them. Ummm.... are we forgetting a non-artificial common enemy that this village would have had for those decades? Here's a hint as to what that enemy was.... CARDASSIANS! Why the hell would this village need the Dal'Rok to unite against during the Occupation?!
Or possibly; the Dal'Rok predated the Occupation and the Sirah just kept it up out of tradition?
USS Fardell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 09:53 AM   #908
Admiral Shran
Admiral

USS Fardell wrote: View Post
Or possibly; the Dal'Rok predated the Occupation and the Sirah just kept it up out of tradition?
Well, if that's true, then the village would have had to be completely spared the ravages of the Occupation. I find that unlikely.

I also find it very odd that the Occupation is never once referred to in the episode.
Old February 11 2012, 10:37 AM   #909
apenpaap
Commodore

I like Through the Looking Glass. To me, the µ-verse started great on DS9 and lost quality with each episode. Crossover was great, TtLG was good, Shattered Mirror was okay, Resurrection was poor and The Emperor's New Cloak was unbelievably awful.
Old February 11 2012, 11:16 AM   #910
Seven of Five
Commodore

apenpaap wrote: View Post
I like Through the Looking Glass. To me, the µ-verse started great on DS9 and lost quality with each episode. Crossover was great, TtLG was good, Shattered Mirror was okay, Resurrection was poor and The Emperor's New Cloak was unbelievably awful.
Yeah that's pretty much how I see it. Each time they went to the Mirror Universe well, they came back with something of lesser quality.

I think that Through The Looking Glass is fun. It's certainly lost some of the nuance from Crossover, but the MU is still an interesting place for me.
Old February 11 2012, 11:20 AM   #911
Admiral Shran
Admiral

I think the law of diminishing returns is an apt description for the Mirror Universe episodes. The only one that breaks that pattern (for me anyway) is Resurrection. And maybe that's only because they don't actually visit the MU in that one.
Old February 11 2012, 03:38 PM   #912
defiantfan
Lieutenant Commander

I wasn't a fan at all of what they did in the series with the MU but I do like what they've done in the novels (ducking)
defiantfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 03:44 PM   #913
apenpaap
Commodore

^I like the mirror universe novels a lot too, even the µ stuff in the relaunch. The only thing in the relaunch I really have a problem with is that stuff with Dukat and Illiana Ghemor.
Old February 11 2012, 03:52 PM   #914
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I had a BIG problem with the Iliana Ghemor storyline when I heard about it. Way to completely destroy every last bit of the impact of "Second Skin" and "Ties of Blood and Water," people.
Old February 11 2012, 03:57 PM   #915
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

I've now caught up with my rewatch. My Crossover episode is damaged on the Season Box Set, but, I have it on The Alternate Realities set, so I skipped past it, so I didn't need to change sets for 1 episode.

So, when I got to Through The Looking Glass, I popped in Crossover, and then watched Through The Looking Glass right afterwards. Crossover, I really enjoyed, Through The Looking Glass is fairly good, but, not as good as Crossover.

Distant Voices, I don't have a problem with Julian's secret not being exposed, the characters were parts of his personality and feelings. His secret isn't personality or feelings, it's a part of every part of him, so I don't see why (or how) people would expect it to be portrayed as a character. Most folks die from this kind of attack, Julian's Superior Mental prowess allowed him to win and not die.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote