New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old February 11 2012, 02:56 AM   #1
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile
A great way to spend 55 minutes

After dinner tonight, I sat down with my fiance and daughter to watch some netflix... and my fiance inexplicably wanted to watch Deep Space Nine! Very strange. She has seen all of 1.4 episodes of DS9 in her life, but who am I to argue?

She didn't want to watch the first episode because she felt that she has a good grasp on the characters and situation (having previously seen "Trials and Tribble-ations" and part of "The Circle"[!]) so I had to just pick an episode at random.

I went with "Way of the Warrior". It is a fun episode and one of my all-time faves. It has some humor, some action, some drama... and Worf! Both my fiance and my daughter are familiar with Worf from TNG. We even have a Worf ornament for our Christmas tree. All I could do was put the episode on and hope that Worf could introduce my ladies to the wonders of DS9!

I spent my teen years sitting up alone to watch DS9 every Sunday morning from 12:35 a.m. until 1:35 a. m., so it was really strange for me to have someone to watch DS9 with for the first time. Strange, but wonderful! What a marvelous time! I will always remember it. It lasted exactly 55 minutes. And then I had to turn it off. They couldn't take it anymore. They both found if incredibly boring.

They decided to watch Double, Double (starring the freaking Olsen Twins) instead. It's vile. I watched it with them for about 55 minutes before wandering in here to the computer room.

WOTW seemed like a good pick at the time, but I guess I should have chosen a different episode. Maybe something shorter and funnier? Like a Ferengi episode? I don't know.

Anyway, it was great to be able to share DS9 with someone for once... even if it was short lived.
Kelso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 05:45 AM   #2
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: A great way to spend 55 minutes

This is a very sad story.

I do think Klingon house politics are not everyone's cup of tea.. though picking a character from TNG was certainly a good idea. It's hard to pick a random ep with DS9 when the viewers have no background. The Magnificent Ferengi might seem like a good starter ep because of the pace and humor but you lose a lot of if you aren't already familiar with Vorta.

How about The Visitor?

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 07:18 AM   #3
Tina Lawton
Commander

DS 9 was my favorite of all the series, and I do think it the best of television Trek.
Tina Lawton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post
It lasted exactly 55 minutes. And then I had to turn it off. They couldn't take it anymore. They both found if incredibly boring.
Man, that's, like, right before all the 'splosions start...
Old February 12 2012, 05:52 PM   #5
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

It sounds like they'd be more interested in seeing Quark in drag.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 02:13 AM   #6
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

I just watched this episode today, fantastic, a shame they couldn't appreciate it with you.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 03:23 AM   #7
applle
Cadet

I sat down with my fiance
applle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 06:19 AM   #8
Destructor
Commodore

That story made me sad.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 06:31 AM   #9
Sho
Fleet Captain

In a similar situation I once picked Statistical Propabilities because I remembered my friend liked One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and the episode features some similar humor (along with a deep and thought-provoking story). That went quite well.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 10:33 AM   #10
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

RandyS wrote: View Post
It sounds like they'd be more interested in seeing Quark in drag.
It's hard to imagine anyone being interested in watching that. ewwwwwwwwwwwwww!
Old February 13 2012, 12:34 PM   #11
Ln X
Fleet Captain

Maybe get them to watch Duet or perhaps even the FIRST episode of DS9, maybe that will garner their interest. Geez this story is so sad that as of this moment I'm... sticking... a... fork in my balls!

Caption contest: DS9
Ln X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 04:57 PM   #12
MacLeod
Admiral

"Duet" is acertainly a good one. "Call To Arms" might have been another decent choice. If they liked the older ST series maybe "Trials and Tribble-ations"
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 05:42 PM   #13
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Well, my fiance generally prefers comedy over drama. I just showed her the BSG miniseries yesterday and she found it really depressing. She mostly likes scifi shows like Firefly or Stargate SG-1/Atlantis. She did really enjoy "Trials and Tribble-ations" when we watched it back-to-back with "The Trouble with Tribbles" to celebrate Trek's 45th anniversary in Sept., having never seen a DS9 ep. before. So if I get another shot at showing her DS9 I really need to pick one that is fun and humorous.

And my daughter is only five years old. I've started introducing her to TOS (see this thread) and she is getting into it. So far she seems really drawn to the episodes with monsters. Her favorite alien so far is the Horta, but she also liked the Gorn and Ruk. I had hoped that the Klingons and various aliens in DS9 would hold her attention in the same way, but I couldn't get her to sit still for TWOTW at all. She kept asking if Spock and Doctor Bones were going to be in it or if we could watch the one with the rock monster instead.

So I need to come up with a humorous and fun episode that has some sort of neat alien creature in it! That's assuming I can con them into watching another one.
Kelso is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13 2012, 06:43 PM   #14
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

teacake wrote: View Post
How about The Visitor?
That would have been my suggestion. It's a great example of what made DS9 great, the connection between the characters and the depth that the writers and actors gave them.

One of my favourite episodes of the entire series, and I loved how it comes right after all the action and adventure of WOTW.
Old February 13 2012, 07:48 PM   #15
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post
Well, my fiance generally prefers comedy over drama. I just showed her the BSG miniseries yesterday and she found it really depressing. She mostly likes scifi shows like Firefly or Stargate SG-1/Atlantis. She did really enjoy "Trials and Tribble-ations" when we watched it back-to-back with "The Trouble with Tribbles" to celebrate Trek's 45th anniversary in Sept., having never seen a DS9 ep. before. So if I get another shot at showing her DS9 I really need to pick one that is fun and humorous.

And my daughter is only five years old. I've started introducing her to TOS (see this thread) and she is getting into it. So far she seems really drawn to the episodes with monsters. Her favorite alien so far is the Horta, but she also liked the Gorn and Ruk. I had hoped that the Klingons and various aliens in DS9 would hold her attention in the same way, but I couldn't get her to sit still for TWOTW at all. She kept asking if Spock and Doctor Bones were going to be in it or if we could watch the one with the rock monster instead.

So I need to come up with a humorous and fun episode that has some sort of neat alien creature in it! That's assuming I can con them into watching another one.
For humor, Little Green Men, maybe or House of Quark

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote