Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 10 2012, 06:04 PM   #406
22 Stars
Commodore

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Sindatur wrote: View Post
22 Stars wrote: View Post
It did nothing of the sort FOR YOU, but i will tell you for me, and others, the clarity of the show did affect my enjoyment of both the good and bad episodes, and even poor episodes have moments I would like to revisit, in clear HD not muddy poorly compressed DVD.
Yea, a terrible episode that has massive special effects in it, would definitely be improved by the remastering, since the special effects would now be worth watching.
I agree, Tin Man is one of those for me. Didn't love it, but I know there was a ton of FX stuff going on. Galaxy's Child is another, and even Dauphin.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 06:54 PM   #407
Mott the barber
Commodore

StewMc wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post
P.S. I hadn't seen this mentioned before, but there are definitely more CG Enterprise shots. At the very least, the shot of her at warp without the saucer is CG.
At first I didn't think this was true, and I don't have the blu-ray to hand to check at the moment, but going by this screenshot you may be right, the ship in that image reminds me of the way the Enterprise looks in the new opening shot of "The Inner Light"...

I was thinking the same thing when I saw it. I believe it is GC because I recall the original SD shot was a little "wobbly" where the model (camera) was moving side to side a bit. this appears to be gone in the HD version.
Old February 10 2012, 07:19 PM   #408
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

It did nothing of the sort FOR YOU, but i will tell you for me, and others, the clarity of the show did affect my enjoyment of both the good and bad episodes, and even poor episodes have moments I would like to revisit, in clear HD not muddy poorly compressed DVD.
So you have episodes that you now rank higher than other episodes based solely on the effects work? That was what I was talking about...
Old February 10 2012, 07:31 PM   #409
22 Stars
Commodore

BillJ wrote: View Post
So you have episodes that you now rank higher than other episodes based solely on the effects work? That was what I was talking about...
Ah, not talking about their relative 'ranking' against each other of my favorites, suffice it to say the whole series will be much more watchable for me in HD. I will be inclined to revisit the whole show, both good and bad eps. now.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 08:39 PM   #410
davejames
Vice Admiral

Yeah, it's not so much about improving the stories, but the fact we'll be seeing these stories in the kind of incredible detail and clarity that we've never had before. That's where I expect most of the thrill will come from (at least for me).

Getting to see a bunch of new and improved special effects along the way certainly won't hurt either.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 01:02 AM   #411
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

RAMA wrote: View Post
Funny that I didn't notice this. Possibly because there was MORE picture in the first episode on the disc, and never bothered to check the others..
Yeah... "Farpoint" and "Inner Light" each show about 102% of the DVD image, while the non-VFX shots of "Sins" -- i.e. the majority of the episode -- is usually displaying only about 83-85% of the DVD. I just hope they correct this oversight on the Season Three Blu-ray set.
Old February 11 2012, 03:45 AM   #412
NewHorizon
Captain

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
Funny that I didn't notice this. Possibly because there was MORE picture in the first episode on the disc, and never bothered to check the others..
Yeah... "Farpoint" and "Inner Light" each show about 102% of the DVD image, while the non-VFX shots of "Sins" -- i.e. the majority of the episode -- is usually displaying only about 83-85% of the DVD. I just hope they correct this oversight on the Season Three Blu-ray set.
Yeah, that's a considerable loss of image. I don't understand how that one got by them to be honest. It's really nice when the other episodes have had slightly more image, but to lose so much...and have it smaller than the TV transmittable area is a pretty glaring error.

Anyone here in contact with Doug Drexler? Perhaps we should post to the comments section of his website to make sure CBS is aware of the problem so it doesn't happen again in future efforts.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 06:39 AM   #413
mswood
Rear Admiral

That's a serious issue. And its one that does absolutely need to be addressed to the buyers.
Old February 11 2012, 06:41 AM   #414
mswood
Rear Admiral

AS for the impact on the quality of the production, while the acting, dialogue, and story will have no impact, teh production design will. This is far, far more then just special effects. Just look at the difference in EaF and see large the impact is on the Director of Photography's work. That's something in literally every single frame, and its huge. The clarity is also true for the sound track, and sound effects.
Old February 11 2012, 10:57 PM   #415
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

mswood wrote: View Post
That's a serious issue. And its one that does absolutely need to be addressed to the buyers.
It is definitely an issue that makes me wonder. Why are we seeing less picture now? Why only on this episode? I'd like to hear an explanation from CBS before passing judgement though.

That said, I don't think this would stop me buying the show.
Old February 12 2012, 12:21 AM   #416
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Captain Fine wrote: View Post
It is definitely an issue that makes me wonder. Why are we seeing less picture now? Why only on this episode? I'd like to hear an explanation from CBS before passing judgement though.
Here's one possible explanation...

See here and the posts following for context: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21627503

It's just speculation at the moment. I've asked Burnett on Twitter about the 16:9 TNG demo he saw last September. We'll see if he responds.
Old February 12 2012, 01:35 AM   #417
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

The framing issue is bizarre -- and disappointing. I hope someone from CBS addresses this at some point soon with the fans.
Old February 12 2012, 01:45 AM   #418
NewHorizon
Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
The framing issue is bizarre -- and disappointing. I hope someone from CBS addresses this at some point soon with the fans.
I left a message on Doug Drexler's website, hopefully he sees it and is able to address it with CBS. I certainly don't want to see the rest of the episodes cropped that badly.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 02:31 AM   #419
GNDN
Commodore

Interesting. I just put the DVD and the Blu Ray up side by side. The 13 seconds of SD footage seems to be framed pretty much identically to each other (not surprising), but the insert shot of the computer monitor that follows seems to enjoy the same wider Blu Ray framing seen in the other episodes. Then the cut back to Riker and Beverly looking at the monitor returns to the tighter framing seen throughout the rest of the Blu Ray.
Old February 12 2012, 09:15 AM   #420
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

[QUOTE=Maxwell Everett;5801872]
Captain Fine wrote: View Post
See here and the posts following for context: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21627503
Yeah, it does seem as though SotF might largely be cropped from a 16:9 test that CBS did early on. As one of the posts mentions,(and you reply to), it might well give us a hint at what information would be missing from the top and bottom of a 16:9 scan. It's not a big issue for me as none of the action seems to have been lost and the framing doesn't seem that off. Seeing as it's one of the best episodes, it would be good if they fix it for Season 3 release though.