Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 10 2012, 12:13 AM   #31
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Re: Any info' about the "Planet Killer" filming model?

I was totally in to Jan as a kid. (Perhaps I've said too much.)
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11 2012, 12:15 AM   #32
Gary7
Rear Admiral

Spray paint can do wonders to almost any material. Without touching it, you'd swear it was constructed of seriously solid wood or metal, not paper mache. Regardless, it was a throw-away prop that wouldn't have likely survived in someone's closet beyond a decade or so. I don't quite get why knowing about the construction materials is important. If you capture the surface contour and texture visualized in the episode, you're all set.

That reference to Bugle snacks was hilarious! I found another video on You Tube that's somewhat amusing: Best Dutch Snack Ever.
Old February 11 2012, 12:26 AM   #33
Christopher
Writer

Gary7 wrote: View Post
I don't quite get why knowing about the construction materials is important.
Because it's interesting. Special effects are an art form, and it's worth studying the techniques of artists. Also because it's history. Learning or reconstructing the facts about things that happened in the past is worthwhile in its own right.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2012, 12:31 AM   #34
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
Because it's interesting. Special effects are an art form, and it's worth studying the techniques of artists. Also because it's history. Learning or reconstructing the facts about things that happened in the past is worthwhile in its own right.
Exactly. While I wasn't that surprised that the TOS Troyian uniform pieces made use of commercial plastic placemats of the day, it was interesting that the same brand of placemats were used to make the Tholian as well.

Ditto when Fred Phillips told me that TOS Andorian antennae used cotton spools scavenged from the costume seamstress' workroom.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2012, 12:40 AM   #35
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
^Well, it's not as if "The Doomsday Machine" is a particularly deep episode. It's basically TOS's special-effects extravaganza, a story driven mainly by action and spectacle over story. If you ask me, the only thing that makes it work is Sol Kaplan's fantastic musical score. If it had been tracked with stock music instead, I don't think it would have anywhere near the same reputation.
Or maybe people like some action and spectacle.

As for the story - well - the episode was nominated for a Hugo award. However, I won't speak to the criteria used for the nomination. Fans also seem to really like Balance of Terror, too, a lot. The music of The Doomsday Machine is memorable, but that's not why I like the episode so much. I personally like it just because it's a space battle, and it was pulled off without getting too cheesy. It's a nice change of pace.

Fighting a giant robot in space is also an intriguing concept. Kirk's hypothesis of the backstory is fascinating, beyond the subtext of Armageddon, and raises some interesting unanswered questions (that I prefer to remain unanswered) with respect to exactly who was fighting the war.
Well, "The Doomsday Machine" was an science fiction story with a strong science fiction premise, written by a remarkably good science fiction writer. Most of the worthwhile TOS episodes were, to some strong degree, representative of so-called "Golden Age" sf and pulp sf of the 1950s and most were written by exceptional writers of the prose form of the genre - Ellison, Sturgeon, Bixby, Bloch, Sohl...

By the middle of the second year, though, the producers started settling for "Star Trek stories," a pretty hermetic and self-referential subgenre all its own which came to dominate the modern Trek franchise.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23 2012, 06:28 AM   #36
Potemkin_Prod
Commodore

Thanks for including Jerry Sohl in your list. He is so often overlooked as an sf writer.
http://www.projectpotemkin.com
Potemkin_Prod is offline   Reply With Quote