A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Liam Cunningham and Mark Addy are only two years apart in age, so Cunningham playing a slightly younger brother (although he's two years older than Addy in real life) wouldn't have been a problem. Anyway, Stephen Dillane, who is playing Stannis, is actually seven years older than Addy and five years older than Cunningham.

2. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

I'm not familiar with the actor's actual ages, I am more concerned with how old they appear to me. And to me, as shown in the character pics, the Davos actor appears to be significantly older than Robert did in Season 1. (whereas Stannis, as presented, looks more believable as a younger brother)

3. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Some people look older than they actually are and some look younger than they actually are (as evidenced by the actual ages of Cunningham and Dillane), and Stannis struck me as someone who would fall into the former category. Cunningham fits my mental picture of Stannis better than Dillane does, although the latter is a good actor and I'm sure he'll make a fine Stannis.

4. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

I've heard Dillane is several years older as well than Mark Abby but I don't think that makes much of a difference since they will never appear together on-screen and Abby was made to look older as Robert. I'm looking forward to seeing Dillane's performance, I thought he was a great as Thomas Jefferson in the John Adams mini-series.

I've mentioned this before but I actually pictured the actor who plays Jorah Mormont as Davos Seaworth. That Iain Glen looks like he could be the lead in Shogun if they ever remade that series.

I wondered where Asha...I mean, YARA Greyjoy was in those pictures but I suspect now that they want to keep that under wraps, given the...interesting way she's introduced in A Clash of Kings.

5. Hyperspace05

HBO has released a new behind the scenes video for Season 2, titled "Iceland". Lots of nice scenery with the actors on location. Also the first glimpse of "Qhorin Halfhand". (for those who have read the books) ;)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KONYVXbFiR4#![/yt]

This appears to be a copy of the HBO stream, so I'm sure a better more official copy will be uploaded shortly.

6. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Link

Teaser poster

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2012
  7. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

By Odin's beard, resize that thing or just post a link! :eek:

8. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hey man 3382x5000 is just standard for the web these days :lol:

9. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

would be worth the trouble if it had ANYTHING on it. Since it's just the tagline, and it's the same one it's always used, not even worth POSTING, much less stretching the thread to several times its normal size... :lol:

10. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're just jealous. Having to scroll across the tagline makes it more epic.

11. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

On the other hand, Winter has been coming for about 4500 pages now, and hasn't arrived yet. Starting to think it got lost...

12. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Ahhh, but this time War is coming.

Hugo - That's a whole different kettleblack of blackfish ;)

13. Hyperspace05

I'm assuming that you haven't read ADWD?

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

No, I have. Just making a joke that they constantly say that, and it's only now starting to arrive after 4500+ pages. Plus most of ADWD took place in a hot place anyway ;)

15. Hyperspace05

I know you said it in jest... But ever since the end of AFFC the north has been stuck in basically one long blizzard. And it started snowing in the riverlands at the end of AFFC as well. So even though the 'official' declaration of winter did not arrive until the end of ADWD - I think you are exaggerating things a wee bit. Winter has certainly arrived. :)

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Ok, fine, i fudged it slightly to make a joke. Usually how jokes work. They only said Winter is Coming for 4000 or so pages before it snowed for the first time. last couple hundred pages had some snow in the northern regions. And that was like a late fall snow compared to what they tell us Winters really are there. Better? :p

17. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The epilogue of ADWD had snowfall in King's Landing, as far as I recall.

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

After three tries, and at least 3 or 4 months reading it I finally finished A Game of Thrones last night, and boy am I glad I stuck with it, the books is amazing. Now, I'll be honest and admit that until recently I didn't really read stuff with this much graphic sex and violence (well, graphic for me at least), so a few scenes were rather :eek: for me, but other than that I loved it. The book really does have some great characters, with my favorites being, in no particular order, Ned, Tyrion, Jon, Arya, and Dany. And I thought the world building elements of the book were also outstanding, Martin has created a fascinating world that is realistic, but still has enough fantastic elements to make it interesting as an alternate reality. Has it been established by Martin what exactly Westeros/Essos's relationship to modern day Earth is? I also really enjoyed Martin's prose, it flows really well, and made it very easy for me to sit and read for an hour or two straight, which isn't something I do very often. I can't wait until I get a chance to read A Clash of Kings, but since I probably have close to two dozen books I own, but haven't read yet, it might take a while. My rating: 9.75/10

19. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

HBO has released some character posters with quotes:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Maisie Williams looks stoned out for that shot, not ice-cold.

Then again, Kit Harington mostly had that gormless look on his face for most of season 1 as well....