Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Old February 10 2012, 11:00 AM   #1036
Rocketeer
Captain

Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Rocketeer wrote: View Post
Hartzilla - I get tons of those two types. Send a msg to @Rocketeer_7 with what you're looking for. (I never think to check this forum while I'm playing)
Well if you have some blue quality ones that would be great but I'm not to picky.
Did you get what you need? I have a few more blue and purple male human tacticals.

I have (or had) 2 or 3 purple femail betazoid science officers but my daughter requested some. (and she takes priority, naturally...) I may have one left if you're still looking. Just let me know.

I picked up another efficient saurian and decided to sell this time.

When did caitian boffs become gold? I didn't see that one coming or I'd stocked up on them.

Considering FEDCON 23 in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 1 Jun 2014
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 01:48 PM   #1037
Trek
Fleet Captain

On a different note, is this Galor ship SPAM the way of the future for STO. It totally ruins any immersion into the game for me. Unless this gets fixed, I'm looking for another game to play.
Same for me. It's the first thing that Cryptic's done that really really p's me off.
Twitter: @Trek88
Trek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 03:12 PM   #1038
Scout101
Admiral

First thing? Really?

Honestly, whole attitude from them is starting to wear on me. Understand they need to make money, but no reason they can't do it in ways that's good for them AND fun for us. Blatant, in your face money grabs are just poor show.

Customer service is unacceptable, when it exists at all. Bran runs around the forum as best he can, but mostly editing posts to remove anything loosely categorized as 'questionable', or promising that he'll have someone take a look. Nothing ever gets done to address these things, Developers almost never address legit concerns.

Then there was the aptly named "Year of Hell'. Through various excuses, all sorts of things were promised, but basically almost nothing happened. Game that was less than a year old took an entire year off from any real progress on their game. F2P became the big excuse towards the end, but they didn't have much problem continuing to charge subscribers, having them pay to subsidize the new players later. Not much benefit over that one, they should have had HUGE bonuses for people still paying at that point, but not so much.

LTS are getting the shaft. Compared to Silver, almost no benefits. Biggest is the 400 point stipend, but they doubled the prices on almost every item in the store after they announced that, so not a ton of value there anymore. Yes, a couple things went down slightly, but in general, prices doubled. Stipend didn't adjust. While we're at it, tons of threads about people not getting their stipend on the right times, missing a month, etc. People asking since December for a way to track it, have it show up on your account somewhere when the rollover date is, or even a log of the transactions like how the Dilithium Exchange works. Nada.

My STO value received has been pretty poor. Bought a 6-month sub when it came out, had never played a MMO before and wanted to try before I really bought in. Got my LTS last December (give or take), so I only got a year of payment value before it went free, maybe 13-14 months max. Using rough numbers, means I'm down about $100 compared to if I'd just gone month to month. technically the stipend will eventually add up to that, but there's not much there I'd actually be tempted to spend real money on, so not convinced I saved money, as I wouldn't have put it in. If I'd gone Silver, I'd have kept the characters, the bank spots, ships, etc. Seems like the stipend and the priority login are all I got. Login SHOULDN'T matter, but last weekend showed that even without a huge crush of people, Cryptic isn't supporting the game at the level needed for all the players they invited in, so priority login DID matter. There were 10s of thousands in queue at one point...

Honestly, i DO enjoy the game, but am losing faith in Cryptic. We're lied to or ignored too often, and since PWE, monetary concerns have clearly taken priority over gameplay, storyline, or integrity. Leveling is way too fast, and there's not a ton to do at the end other than grind STFs and dream of new content to play.

I'm a LTS, so can't vote with my wallet, but game definitely feels like it's going downhill. this should be a HUGE PR boost right now! in a month span, theyv'e gone F2P and brought in all kinds of new players that should still be excited. There was the 2 year anniversary (which was underwhelming), aside from the ships, which honestly aren't really that good in-game. And FEs come back this weekend after an entire year without one. And yet I don't feel all that excited, and the forum's about as pissed as I've seen them. Clearly there's something going wrong here. Can't help that feel after the FE finishes and things quiet down again, game is gonna drop fast. Will be another mini content drought, and many F2P newbies will have already maxed out at least one character and realized there's not much to do at the end. What then?

This new grab bag thing is crap. 100 CP for a key? Really? What's in the bag that's worth it? Only the ship. 100 CP per chance, and only one item worth that much, and it's chance of being in there is like 1% or less. Other items in the 'high value' bags are DS9 uniform packs (about 50k EC on the exchange now), and then XP boosts (already maxed), shield packs (really, a blue MK X shield? straight in the garbage, even my BOFFs i use for storage have better), and new data samples/commodities. ONLY thing I'd pay for is the ship, and even then, wouldn't pay more than, say, 500 CP for it. Unless the odds go up so I have more than a 20% chance of getting one in a mystery box, I'm not playing.
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 03:13 PM   #1039
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Hartzilla - I get tons of those two types. Send a msg to @Rocketeer_7 with what you're looking for. (I never think to check this forum while I'm playing)
Well if you have some blue quality ones that would be great but I'm not to picky.
Did you get what you need? I have a few more blue and purple male human tacticals.
Yeah, I'm good thanks for the Boffs.
Hartzilla2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 03:23 PM   #1040
Bird of Prey
Fleet Captain

Logged in last night and man was it crazy. The exchange had such a lag on it. I was able to snag a few items from there, including a master key. Some observations/questions :

- I was hoping the dilithium horta would grant some sort of dilithium bonus, but it doesn't.

- According to the dev diary # 19, the DS9 uniform is an account wide unlock, however after unlocking it on my main toon, I couldn't see it available on the other toons. (Do I need to claim it for free from the c-store?)

- From what I read on the STO forums, the gold box that may contain the ship comes in a purple lock box (as opposed to the green lock boxes that drop as loot), and the only way to get these purple lock boxes is from running STF's? Is that correct? I ran 2 STF's last night on normal (KA and Infected Space) and got a green lock box on each. I have 2 master keys in my inventory, and I'm only going to use them on a purple lock box if I can find one. Until then, I will have a growing stash of green lock boxes in my inventory.

- What have I got so far (from exchange and opening 2 lock boxes) - 4 dilithium hortas, 2 DS9 uniforms, 1 Sehlat cub, 1 box of commodities, 2 CXP boosts, and 1 XP boost.
Bird of Prey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 03:29 PM   #1041
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Anyone know hoe much the dilithium hortas are selling for on the exchange becuase thats the only thing from the boxes I care about.
Old February 10 2012, 03:31 PM   #1042
Kaziarl
Commodore

Normally I don't pay to much attention to Scout, or really anyone that complains alot. (Not that I don't acknowledge you Scout, just that I hear the same things here, on the STO forum, and the STO facebook page. Gets old, ya know?)

But in this case, I gotta agree. The key thing is kind of a cheap shot. Either make it a CStore item, or make it available in game. Right now, with the box in game and the key in the CStore, it just feels kinda half-assed.

And for me, yeah, this is the first thing I have a problem with. The few times I've needed to contact CS were during the open beta and shortly after launch, and they've been taken care of. I don't seem to have nearly as many bugs as others do. About the only thing right now is that I can't buy forge slots. But that might simply be because I'm full on characters.
Old February 10 2012, 03:37 PM   #1043
Bird of Prey
Fleet Captain

Anyone know hoe much the dilithium hortas are selling for on the exchange becuase thats the only thing from the boxes I care about.
I picked up all 4 of mine for about 20,000 EC each on the exchange last night. No idea what they are going for now.
Old February 10 2012, 04:03 PM   #1044
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Bird of Prey wrote: View Post
I picked up all 4 of mine for about 20,000 EC each on the exchange last night. No idea what they are going for now.
Thanks.
Old February 10 2012, 04:51 PM   #1045
intrinsical
Fleet Captain

I have seen enough MMO companies to recognize the symptoms.

Yes, it is a rough time for everyone, Cryptic and players alike. It is inevitable given that Cryptic made a loss of 5.3 euros (~4 million USD) last year. Just looking at STO alone, it currently has less than 50,000 gold subscribers at this moment (frankly, looking at the amount of content and art assets STO has, I can tell needs at least 150k subscribers). Just doing some simple math, 50k x USD$15 x 12 months tells us STO's revenue is under 1 million at this point in time. If I assume roughly similar figures for Champions Online, that gives Cryptic a revenue of 2 million. This isn't even enough to cover last year's loss.

If I am not wrong, Cryptic is in fire fighting mode right now. They are doing what they need to do to get through this rough period, even if it means they have to jack up prices and employ all sorts of slightly unscrupulous marketing tricks to get the money they need to survive. If not, I can guarantee you that one year down the road both CO and STO will either be in yet another year of hell, get shutdown or get sold to some other game company.
Old February 10 2012, 04:55 PM   #1046
Scout101
Admiral

I'd grab more of those things, but we need to get our banks expanded. It was fine at launch, as it kinda grew with you as you went, but now that we're not getting more slots with rank, and people have been here 2+ years, it's running out.

One slot for each data type, a few different ship sets (Aegis, borg, breen, MACO or Omega if you're lucky), all the unique weapons you get (things like TOS weapons, special lirpas, anything that levels with you), Anniversary events, maybe even a few rare food samples and other unique commodities, and then couple extra torpedoes and weapon types if you need to change your loadout. My bank has been maxed for a while.

Would be nice if we got a few more slots to acknowledge the bloat as time goes on. Eventually going to have to start throwing away things that we can't reclaim, which sucks. Or they could make the data samples go to the currently wasted Cargo Hold in your ship, so you can get them out of your bank...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
Old February 10 2012, 05:00 PM   #1047
Scout101
Admiral

intrinsical wrote: View Post

Yes, it is a rough time for everyone, Cryptic and players alike. It is inevitable given that Cryptic made a loss of 5.3 euros (~4 million USD) last year. Just looking at STO alone, it currently has less than 50,000 gold subscribers at this moment (frankly, looking at the amount of content and art assets STO has, I can tell needs at least 150k subscribers). Just doing some simple math, 50k x USD$15 x 12 months tells us STO's revenue is under 1 million at this point in time. If I assume roughly similar figures for Champions Online, that gives Cryptic a revenue of 2 million. This isn't even enough to cover last year's loss.

If I am not wrong, Cryptic is in fire fighting mode right now. They are doing what they need to do to get through this rough period, even if it means they have to jack up prices and employ all sorts of slightly unscrupulous marketing tricks to get the money they need to survive. If not, I can guarantee you that one year down the road both CO and STO will either be in yet another year of hell, get shutdown or get sold to some other game company.
Thought they told us they were a huge money maker, and everything was good?

Honestly, I get that they have to make money. Would just be nice if they did it in such a way that it added to the game instead of increasing angst and pissing everyone off by being blatant about it. Hell, just putting things in the bag that you'd WANT would be a good start. The ship is desireable, but pretty rare. Everything else is either garbage or just not usable by the players at the rank receiving it. Which is why you can buy basically everything in the bag BUT the ship for really cheap on the exchange. For almost no money, I bought the DS9 uniforms, a horta, and one each of the samples and commodities packs, just to see what's in them. Not going to fool myself into thinking I'll win a ship (despite the constant spam hinting otherwise), and that's basically everything in the GOLD mystery boxes, right? Wouldn't pay 100 CP for any of those things, and bought them for minimal EC instead because everyone else feels basically the same way.

make them fun, unique things, and you've got something. Not one ultra-rare and a bunch of garbage. They could have just sold the ship, made about the same money, and garnered good will. Instead they made it a lottery, and played to people's gambling instincts. Same number of ships go out in the end, but now you've got a couple happy players and a ton of pissed ones instead.
Old February 10 2012, 05:02 PM   #1048
Bird of Prey
Fleet Captain

Scout101 wrote: View Post
I'd grab more of those things, but we need to get our banks expanded. It was fine at launch, as it kinda grew with you as you went, but now that we're not getting more slots with rank, and people have been here 2+ years, it's running out.

One slot for each data type, a few different ship sets (Aegis, borg, breen, MACO or Omega if you're lucky), all the unique weapons you get (things like TOS weapons, special lirpas, anything that levels with you), Anniversary events, maybe even a few rare food samples and other unique commodities, and then couple extra torpedoes and weapon types if you need to change your loadout. My bank has been maxed for a while.

Would be nice if we got a few more slots to acknowledge the bloat as time goes on. Eventually going to have to start throwing away things that we can't reclaim, which sucks. Or they could make the data samples go to the currently wasted Cargo Hold in your ship, so you can get them out of your bank...
They won't give away free bank slots past VA since they sell additional bank and inventory slots on the c-store. They've made it so that if you want more room, you'll have to buy it. Same with the ships and BOFF slots. If they have another BOFF as a rare reward (like the Reman and Breen Boffs), I'll either have to give up one of my other BOFFs or buy more BOFF slots. I'm also maxed out to the point where I want to just get rid of my excess data samples just to make room.
Old February 10 2012, 05:05 PM   #1049
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

intrinsical wrote: View Post

Cryptic could probably squeeze out some more cash from people if CBS was being anal about canon, becuase then they could pu this stuff in the C-store and likely sell it by the truckload.
Old February 10 2012, 06:01 PM   #1050
Rocketeer
Captain

I saw two groups of people on the chat last night. Half the people were looking for a way to turn of the SPAM and half were salivating at the mouth, asking where they could unlock this Galor ship. So as far as a marketing technique it appeared to be working. It just upset me because I actually went on a mission and all throughout the exploration and fighting I was constantly getting a system alert that some other player just unlocked a Galor ship. It just totally ruined any hope of getting immersed in the game.

I picked up a few green boxes which I'll probably sell on the Exchange. I refuse to purchase a key to unlock them.

I don't feel good about the stipend either. I'm still missing my first month. That plus the fact that as Scout pointed out, many prices have doubled, making the stipend worthless.

I'm afraid that instead of quality content, we'll mainly see sales gimmicks coming down the pipe. The 2nd anniversary was a big letdown. Even the Odyssey mission was a farce. I think that as some of you have said, when the newness wears off many of the f2p players will jump ship. And then what will Cryptic do when the only ones left are disgrunted players that have been abused and neglected by the company.

And you can't complain without offering a solution and here's one of my ideas. Put BOFFs and possibly DOFFs of some of the characters from Star Trek in the C-store. I would pay good money to have a Scotty on my cruiser. Bind them to the player or character so if another player wanted one he'd have to buy if from the C-store.

Considering FEDCON 23 in Dusseldorf, 29 May - 1 Jun 2014

Last edited by Rocketeer; February 10 2012 at 06:17 PM.
Rocketeer is offline   Reply With Quote