Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 9 2012, 11:13 PM   #451
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

HBO has released a bunch of stills, which you can see here.

Also, Martin said in an interview with SFX that he thinks HBO will catch up with him in about four years.
Old February 9 2012, 11:27 PM   #452
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 11:32 PM   #453
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Out Of My Vulcan Mind wrote: View Post

Also, Martin said in an interview with SFX that he thinks HBO will catch up with him in about four years.
That sounds about right, if they split ASOS into two seasons. Maybe that will motivate him to get his ass in gear and finish the last two books.

Or not.
Old February 9 2012, 11:51 PM   #454
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Here's the full quote from SFX:

Martin says he’s knuckling under with THE WINDS OF WINTER. As for a deadline he shakes his head and only offers, "I've given up making any predictions after my experience with A DANCE WITH DRAGONS as they just bite me on the ass. I'll just write as fast as I can, make it as good as I can, a page and a word at a time, and eventually it will be done."

He does admit to feeling a twing more pressure now with the TV series gaining on him. "I hope they make Book 3 into two seasons. I think Books 4 and 5 will have to be two seasons each as well, so that gives me four years to finish," he laughs. "But really that’s something I have to disregard. Part of the struggle with A DANCE WITH DRAGONS, or even A FEAST FOR CROWS before it, is when I become too conscious of the book being late or a deadline approaching it just slows me down further, if it doesn't stop me all together, so suddenly I'm worried about the big picture. It's soul-destroying and you have to forget the external world, or at least that I have to. You have to put yourself in Westeros and say, 'Here I am on a battlefield, and I’m Tyrion now. How would he say that?' And eventually the whole story will be done that way."
I don't know he arrives at the four-year estimate if he's banking on the third, fourth and fifth books each being split into two seasons. That would give him considerably longer - unless he thinks HBO will start airing more than one season per year. Anyway, I don't think Feast and Dance will get two seasons each, or at least not without the producers reshaping the material to a very significant degree.
Old February 10 2012, 12:12 AM   #455
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Well, since they take place mostly at the same time, I would imagine they'll be combining the events of the books and the entirety of four and five will take two seasons, with each season being half of both books.
Old February 10 2012, 12:19 AM   #456
Skywalker
Admiral

ASOS doesn't need two seasons. I agree with OdoWanKenobi that AFFC/ADWD will probably be combined over two seasons, rather than Season Four being AFFC and Season Five being ADWD.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 12:24 AM   #457
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

It looks like ASOS is going to get two seasons, although I think those seasons will feature a fair amount of material from AFFC.

They'll definitely merge the rest of AFFC and ADWD into chronoligical order, unless they decide to veer off dramatically at that point.
Old February 10 2012, 02:37 AM   #458
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Wow, those are some great character shots.

I particularly like the Brienne and Theon ones - but they are all good.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 03:27 AM   #459
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Wow, when they first announced the actress cast as Brienne, I thought she didn't fit at all. After that picture, though, I think all of my fears have been assuaged. Davos also looks like he stepped right out of my imagination. Stannis will still take some getting used to. I always imagined him a more imposing figure.
Old February 10 2012, 04:35 AM   #460
superdeluxe
Captain

Great stills! I agree with whoever said asos would be two seasons with a little of AFfc sprinkled in as well

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 11:57 AM   #461
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

I hardly think HBO or many of the actors want to commit to a decade long show. ASoS actually has a lot of great content in it and is worth the split but AFFC and ADwD have plenty of fat to trim and can easily be two seasons and still have room for extra content from the previous and later book in there, even though together their page count is quite a bit higher than ASoS.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 12:19 PM   #462
Caliburn24
Commodore

Comparing those new character portraits. I think the actor playing Davos looks like a much better Stannis, than the Stannis they actually cast. At least the way I always imagined Stannis to look.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 02:58 PM   #463
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
Comparing those new character portraits. I think the actor playing Davos looks like a much better Stannis, than the Stannis they actually cast. At least the way I always imagined Stannis to look.
Yeah, I agree.

By the way, Maisie Williams (Arya) chose to actually have her hair cut short rather than opt for a wig.

Edit to add: I just came across this parody of a George R.R. Martin impersonator reading children's stories with a Martin twist:

Last edited by Out Of My Vulcan Mind; February 10 2012 at 05:06 PM.
Out Of My Vulcan Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 06:31 PM   #464
Hyperspace05
Commodore

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
Yeah, I agree.
No, I don't think the Davos actor would work as Stannis. Remember that Robert was the eldest brother. Not Stannis. Stannis is not as old as one tends to imagine with the unflattering descriptions in the book.
Hyperspace05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 06:41 PM   #465
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Hyperspace05 wrote: View Post
No, I don't think the Davos actor would work as Stannis. Remember that Robert was the eldest brother. Not Stannis. Stannis is not as old as one tends to imagine with the unflattering descriptions in the book.
Liam Cunningham and Mark Addy are only two years apart in age, so Cunningham playing a slightly younger brother (although he's two years older than Addy in real life) wouldn't have been a problem. Anyway, Stephen Dillane, who is playing Stannis, is actually seven years older than Addy and five years older than Cunningham.