RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,200
Posts: 5,346,122
Members: 24,604
Currently online: 575
Newest member: LanCo96

TrekToday headlines

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old February 9 2012, 12:53 PM   #391
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

davejames wrote: View Post
Destructor wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
The only thing that might need to be improved is that Borg interior shot, where we pull back to see more of the hive. All it should really take is a small color correction though, to better blend together the set and painting.
Yeah, sure, retouch and remaster and whatnot, I was more saying that I think it'd be a mistake to replace the odd, off-kilter 'battle scenes' in that episode (where the Enterprise and cube just sort of stand there looking at each other, most of the time) with a more modern interpretation (The Enterprise whizzing past doing strafing runs and so forth). I think a big part of that episode's charm is its stateliness- the tension comes from the strange absence of action, the utter lack of concern from the Borg.

The 'pull-out' shot of the cube interior actually made me say: "Woah!" when I first saw it- I don't see the need to replace it, beyond the rescanning and remastering of the original plates.
Actually I think there's one other thing I might try to fix-- the strange part where Data keeps firing in the completely wrong place while trying to destroy the Borg's tractor beam.

Not really sure how you'd fix that though. Perhaps have a beam emitting from each of those three places he fires at? You obviously can't direct all the fire at just the one area, because you'd still have the two other giant craters to explain...
Perhaps Data was simpy gunning for the power source first, unsuccessfully.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 01:43 PM   #392
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

davejames wrote: View Post
Actually I think there's one other thing I might try to fix-- the strange part where Data keeps firing in the completely wrong place while trying to destroy the Borg's tractor beam.
LOL, that was intended.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 03:59 PM   #393
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

davejames wrote: View Post
Destructor wrote: View Post
davejames wrote: View Post
The only thing that might need to be improved is that Borg interior shot, where we pull back to see more of the hive. All it should really take is a small color correction though, to better blend together the set and painting.
Yeah, sure, retouch and remaster and whatnot, I was more saying that I think it'd be a mistake to replace the odd, off-kilter 'battle scenes' in that episode (where the Enterprise and cube just sort of stand there looking at each other, most of the time) with a more modern interpretation (The Enterprise whizzing past doing strafing runs and so forth). I think a big part of that episode's charm is its stateliness- the tension comes from the strange absence of action, the utter lack of concern from the Borg.

The 'pull-out' shot of the cube interior actually made me say: "Woah!" when I first saw it- I don't see the need to replace it, beyond the rescanning and remastering of the original plates.
Actually I think there's one other thing I might try to fix-- the strange part where Data keeps firing in the completely wrong place while trying to destroy the Borg's tractor beam.

Not really sure how you'd fix that though. Perhaps have a beam emitting from each of those three places he fires at? You obviously can't direct all the fire at just the one area, because you'd still have the two other giant craters to explain...
You realize Worf, as the tactical officer, would be the one firing the phasers, right?
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 04:52 PM   #394
Patrick O'Brien
Captain
 
Patrick O'Brien's Avatar
 
Location: Brooklyn NY
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

22 Stars wrote: View Post
I am so happy with the model work and general fx work the crew did. They really did shoot stuff at near-feature quality. The size of the 6 foooter, and detail in the large Borg cube etc. show that they didn't skimp on the details.

Sure, with a different budget and less time constraints (and a 16x9 AR) TNG could really have looked like a feature every week, but Legato, Moore, Curry, Okuda and Sternbach did a fantastic job.
I agree totally. The true craftsmanship of the effects team comes through in brilliant 1080p. The Enterprise D has never looked better
Patrick O'Brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9 2012, 05:34 PM   #395
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
Perhaps Data was simpy gunning for the power source first, unsuccessfully.
Well yeah, I know that's how we've all rationalized it over the years, but it still looks odd. Especially considering the beam doesn't actually STOP until he finally fires at where it's coming from.

Plus, regardless of where the power source is, wouldn't the emitter be the first place you would fire anyway?

Last edited by davejames; February 9 2012 at 07:51 PM.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 04:52 AM   #396
Trimm
Commander
 
Location: Memphis
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...int_hd_791.jpg

That's a REALLY good shot of the 2 foot Enterprise D model.
__________________
Patrick: Liar Liar plants for hire.
Spongebob: Its "pants on fire" Patrick.
Patrick: Well you would know...liar.
Trimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 05:04 AM   #397
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral
 
GalaxyX's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Trimm wrote: View Post
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...int_hd_791.jpg

That's a REALLY good shot of the 2 foot Enterprise D model.
I've always labelled that scene in my mind as "The Enterprise faces a UFO"
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 07:57 AM   #398
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
If you watch Farpoint, when Picard, Troi and Riker are in Zorn's office, if you look at Troi's headband, in every close up shot on the Blu-Ray her headband goes into the top casing of the TV, but on the DVD there is quite a bit of open space between the top of her head and the TV casing.
You're right, the framing is slightly different there. But in this case I'm okay with it because they are just framing down slightly, rather than cropping the entire image on all sides. Notice how we see more of her com badge as a result? As long as they take their new TV extraction from within the Academy aperture area, the picture should still look okay and be within the tolerances that the filmmakers intended.

DVD:
http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu...point2_039.jpg

Blu-ray:
http://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/1x...int_hd_537.jpg
Funny that I didn't notice this. Possibly because there was MORE picture in the first episode on the disc, and never bothered to check the others..
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 10:23 AM   #399
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain
 
Start Wreck's Avatar
 
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Intriguing. Any speculation on what happened there? Interesting that FX shots weren't affected, suggesting they were handed over to another department while the untouched shots may have been improperly framed for some reason.
__________________
Fallen Star - My home-made sci-fi TV show
Start Wreck - My Star Trek spoof web comic
Doctor Who From The Start - A n00b does a blog
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 05:19 PM   #400
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Well, finally sat down and watched The Inner Light. The experience reinforces something I learned from TOS-R, these episodes really aren't going to be any better or worse than the first time around.

If you thought that The Last Outpost or Up the Long Ladder was a bad episode every other time you watched it, you're still going to find it a bad episode this time around. Just much, much clearer.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 05:23 PM   #401
Tosk
Rear Admiral
 
Tosk's Avatar
 
Location: On the run.
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

...? Why wouldn't that be the case? I don't think anyone ever believed the writing of poor episodes would somehow be improved.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 05:39 PM   #402
22 Stars
Commodore
 
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Tosk wrote: View Post
...? Why wouldn't that be the case? I don't think anyone ever believed the writing of poor episodes would somehow be improved.
Yeah, that is a big wtf? Of COURSE the content of the episodes will not improve but I will say that the re-watchability for me will be increased just because they will be clearer and the new/improved look of the effects.

The DVD's are very poor esp when watching them at over 90" diag. as I do.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 05:48 PM   #403
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

22 Stars wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post
...? Why wouldn't that be the case? I don't think anyone ever believed the writing of poor episodes would somehow be improved.
Yeah, that is a big wtf? Of COURSE the content of the episodes will not improve but I will say that the re-watchability for me will be increased just because they will be clearer and the new/improved look of the effects.

The DVD's are very poor esp when watching them at over 90" diag. as I do.
I've simply seen the arguments in TOS-R threads where people try to argue the content is somehow better and it really "improved some episodes". When it did nothing of the sort...
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 05:53 PM   #404
22 Stars
Commodore
 
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

It did nothing of the sort FOR YOU, but i will tell you for me, and others, the clarity of the show did affect my enjoyment of both the good and bad episodes, and even poor episodes have moments I would like to revisit, in clear HD not muddy poorly compressed DVD.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10 2012, 05:56 PM   #405
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

22 Stars wrote: View Post
It did nothing of the sort FOR YOU, but i will tell you for me, and others, the clarity of the show did affect my enjoyment of both the good and bad episodes, and even poor episodes have moments I would like to revisit, in clear HD not muddy poorly compressed DVD.
Yea, a terrible episode that has massive special effects in it, would definitely be improved by the remastering, since the special effects would now be worth watching.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.