Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old February 3 2012, 10:00 PM   #1
infinix
Fleet Captain

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

I absolutely LOVED the original game and I can't wait for the new one.
Old February 4 2012, 04:17 PM   #2
XwarlokX
Lieutenant

Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown

I'm pretty pumped for both of the new XCOM games to come out. Can't wait to see what Firaxis does with the strategy one!
XwarlokX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2012, 01:16 PM   #3
BRG
Commander

I had Terror from the Deep(on the PS1 I think) and I loved that game. I did not know they were updating them, so I look forward to seeing them!

BRG
Scottish League Cup Winners- 2012
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2012, 05:34 PM   #4
Hoser
Hoser

View Hoser's Twitter Profile

Completely pumped until I saw the coming to consoles bit, now I'm just cautiously optimistic.
Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 04:39 PM   #5
Lowdarzz
Captain

I've never played the original but the footage that's been released so far makes the new one look interesting.

That said, the reaction of the video game critic Spoony to this game is classic overreaction.

Lowdarzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8 2012, 07:07 PM   #6
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Lowdarzz wrote: View Post
I've never played the original but the footage that's been released so far makes the new one look interesting.

That said, the reaction of the video game critic Spoony to this game is classic overreaction.
That was for the FPS, not the Firaxis game.
Old February 11 2012, 12:40 PM   #7
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Lowdarzz wrote: View Post

Seeing this is the reason why women tend to raise an eyebrow and make a wide circle around gamers.. what an idiot
Old February 11 2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Base_Delta_Zero
Commodore

He's purposefully overreacting because the character he plays is an ubernerd game reviewer. And the game he's reacting to does look retarded enough to warrant a cry of outrage. The strategy game coming out this Fall, on the other hand, looks friggin' awesome! I can't wait. I never played the original, but I've seen let's plays and reviews of it and it looks like it was a pretty sweet game.
Base_Delta_Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12 2012, 10:22 AM   #9
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Oh it was.. i owned that game back then when, as a young schoolkid, games were usually "aquired" on school grounds by swapping 3,5'' disks and a "get it back tomorrow"

I played it to death, reloaded so many saves to get out of critical situations and was so proud when i finally researched the last version of the body armor.. ah, good times!

I don't know if it was unique for its time as was Dune 2 which started the whole RTS genre (another game i played religiously) but it had so many cool elements and the graphics were top for its time.

I played every iteration of it since then and most were ok but it never captured the magic of the first one.. i'm not expecting that out of the new one but i love going back to the franchise every once in a while and this game is definitely on my list.
Old February 14 2012, 12:16 AM   #10
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Something deep within me has stirred ... Firaxis had best not bungle this; no later version has yet rivalled the gaming pinnacle reached by the original running on my old Amiga.
Old September 30 2012, 07:29 AM   #11
Rincewiend
Vice Admiral

There is a demo out on Steam.
2 missions.
After playing it i pre-ordered it...
Old September 30 2012, 09:16 AM   #12
Reverend
Rear Admiral

Unfortunately the game requires Vista or W7. I'm still on XP so I'll have to wait for the PS3 demo to show up. Looks great though. Very faithful to the original.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2012, 02:14 PM   #13
bullethead
Fleet Captain

I have to say this: whoever greenlit the Steam/console demo is a moron for only giving you two missions and no real ant farm interaction. Given how Firaxis seems to have given anyone who claims to be a game reviewer (even if they just have a YouTube account) access to the press demo, I don't see why they wouldn't give the public the same thing. When Deus Ex: Human Revolution's press demo leaked, that built up a lot of positive buzz among gamers.
Old September 30 2012, 03:01 PM   #14
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

Yeah.. i was a bit disappointed that there was no base building/research part bit.. the demo is a few GB big so they should have added that important part of the game and maybe excluded cut scenes and such which are only important for the full game anyways.

No matter.. i'm definitely looking forward to this one and it comes at a perfect time.
Old October 9 2012, 11:54 AM   #15
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I played the demo yesterday. Damn that was fun. I probably shouldn't buy another game right now because I don't have a lot of money or free time, but I'm definitely weighing my options. I absolutely recommend everyone checking out the demo.

As for the limits, I think that's why it's a demo. They don't want you to start thinking of it as a replacement for the game itself. And, while they could have cut out the cut scenes, the last cut scene was the perfect teaser for "buy this game."