Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 6 2012, 10:31 PM   #16
Aragorn
Admiral

Re: Widescreen or Full Frame

nvek86 wrote: View Post
OAS.
I never understood why the FullFrame thing was even developed; I've heard that people complained about the black bars on their tv screens, but why would you want to miss part of the picture.
It was just a mentality a lot of people had where they felt like they were seeing less if it wasn't filling up the whole screen. I knew people who complained about the "black bars." Even the term "full screen" that was on all the DVD covers doesn't really explain what's actually happening and probably made people think they were getting more on their screen.

I wonder now with widescreen TVs being the norm if these same people complain about "black bars" on the side. Of course, now they simply just press the picture stretching button.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 10:31 PM   #17
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Widescreen.

Full-Screen should be prohibited by Federal law.
Old February 6 2012, 10:58 PM   #18
T'Baio
Admiral

Original Aspect Ratio, of course.
On Facebook
T'Baio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 11:34 PM   #19
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

What the hell is the "OAS" people mention above?
Old February 6 2012, 11:37 PM   #20
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

OAS = original aspect ratio. I'm glad it's getting a lot of support.
Old February 6 2012, 11:48 PM   #21
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
OAS = original aspect ratio. I'm glad it's getting a lot of support.
Yeah... Don't know how initialisms work, do we?
Old February 6 2012, 11:48 PM   #22
MacLeod
Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
OAS.
I never understood why the FullFrame thing was even developed; I've heard that people complained about the black bars on their tv screens, but why would you want to miss part of the picture.
It was just a mentality a lot of people had where they felt like they were seeing less if it wasn't filling up the whole screen. I knew people who complained about the "black bars." Even the term "full screen" that was on all the DVD covers doesn't really explain what's actually happening and probably made people think they were getting more on their screen.

I wonder now with widescreen TVs being the norm if these same people complain about "black bars" on the side. Of course, now they simply just press the picture stretching button.
Widescreen TV's have been the norm for over a decade, at least on the European side of the pond. Though remember WS TV's can stretch a 4x3 picture to full the screen a bit more sometimes to 14:9 rather than 16:9.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 02:41 AM   #23
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

OAS.

If you read the TNG-R discussion you wouldn't wonder. There are people convinced widescreen is better. Even if it means ruining the framing, cutting off parts of the image, and stretching the image. They just claim "widescreen is more cinematic" or that they hate seeing the black bars.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 05:04 AM   #24
T.Geiger
Lieutenant Commander

Sometimes movies are cutting off the picture if they display in widescreen. House on Haunted Hill (1959) for example. Sort of the Back to the Future movies (they actually add picture for full frame). Terminator 3 is an oddball where you don't get the full picture with either format, but full frame gives you the most.

Typically, I am for whatever format gives me the most picture information.

I find it difficult to believe Seinfeld can be converted to proper widescreen, but Star Trek cannot. My cynical side suggests its all about money (either not wanting to spend it or waiting to double-dip for it).
T.Geiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 06:04 AM   #25
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
I had a friend back when Widescreen DVDs were just starting to come out who hated them because he insisted the black bars were cutting off part of the picture and the "Full Frame" versions were the whole picture. I have a feeling he probably wasn't the only one who thought that.
I have a feeling that the word "full" made a lot people think that they were getting the whole picture. They probably thought widescreen meant that the picture was stretched out and distorted a bit.
Old February 7 2012, 06:29 AM   #26
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

T.Geiger wrote: View Post
Sometimes movies are cutting off the picture if they display in widescreen. House on Haunted Hill (1959) for example. Sort of the Back to the Future movies (they actually add picture for full frame). Terminator 3 is an oddball where you don't get the full picture with either format, but full frame gives you the most.

Typically, I am for whatever format gives me the most picture information.

I find it difficult to believe Seinfeld can be converted to proper widescreen, but Star Trek cannot. My cynical side suggests its all about money (either not wanting to spend it or waiting to double-dip for it).
Regarding Seinfeld I think it looks terribly warped in widescreen. At least the last time I attempted to watch the mangled versions on the superstation.

I generally prefer the intended aspect ratio for most shows though some DVDs have lost some of their gratuitous nudity compared to their VHS counterparts.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 06:37 AM   #27
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I am generally an original aspect ratio kind of guy. But things like 'open matte' where you add extra information for the 'full frame' release didn't bug me. I'd rather have that on a 4:3 screen than black bars, but since 4:3 is now obsolete, it's kind of a moot point.

Didn't the Buffy DVDs end up being widescreen in Europe or something along similar lines? That is, they didn't crop the 4:3, but just opened up what was actually filmed to create the widescreen version? If I recall Joss Whedon wasn't thrilled with that... but frankly I'd probably prefer that version even with the occasional production equipment showing up on camera. I could understand why you wouldn't.

Cropping something from one aspect ratio to fit another is a no-no in my book. As are the various ghastly stretching modes for filling out widescreen TVs with 4:3 content.
Old February 7 2012, 06:41 AM   #28
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
JD wrote: View Post
I had a friend back when Widescreen DVDs were just starting to come out who hated them because he insisted the black bars were cutting off part of the picture and the "Full Frame" versions were the whole picture. I have a feeling he probably wasn't the only one who thought that.
But I think there are a few films out there actually shot in 4:3 then were cropped for theatrical release. It's been a while since I read the article and need to do some research...
I think films shot in 'Super-35' or something they called it. I seem to recall 'Terminator 2' was shot this way.
Old February 7 2012, 06:43 AM   #29
JD
Admiral

AviTrek wrote: View Post
OAS.

If you read the TNG-R discussion you wouldn't wonder. There are people convinced widescreen is better. Even if it means ruining the framing, cutting off parts of the image, and stretching the image. They just claim "widescreen is more cinematic" or that they hate seeing the black bars.
Ugh, I wouldn't like that anymore than I do when they cut the picture for 4:3. I just want to see the whole image, whichever ratio that is.
Old February 7 2012, 06:47 AM   #30
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I hate it when they often show Alien on TV even in 1.85 instead of its true wiiiiiidescreen ratio because the whole composition looks off.

EDIT: I just had a terrible thought. I wonder how many "black bars, oh noes!" people out there are watching all those Full Screen DVDs they bought with their new fangled LCD TV's stretching out the image. The horror!

Last edited by Mr. Adventure; February 7 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote