Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 4 2012, 07:47 AM   #1
The Overlord
Captain

Did TNG have too many characters at first?

Did TNG have too many characters at first? It seems like TNG got better after Tasha Yar died and they focused more on other characters like Worf, with one less character hogging the spotlight. It seems like at first there were too many characters to handle, Tasha Yar made Worf seem redundant. Also the series got even better after Wesley Cruhser was demoted to guest star.

Last edited by The Overlord; February 4 2012 at 07:58 AM.
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 08:11 AM   #2
Sho
Fleet Captain

Re: Did TNG have too many characters at first?

Well, just because they didn't know how to use them effectively, it doesn't mean there were too many characters in an absolute sense. DS9 did splendidly with a considerably larger ensemble. Rather, they had to many characters for the direction of storytelling they chose too adopt. TNG wasn't really a very character-driven show, especially early on before Piller came along, and there were too many characters for the little character time they had going around initially.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 08:37 AM   #3
sojourner
Admiral

I am sure the "equal screen time" clause that was in place for the tng actors didn't help either. Or was that just a myth?
Old February 4 2012, 05:12 PM   #4
Bisz
Rear Admiral

I'm with Sho, other shows have managed to do very well with larger casts (DS9, Firefly). It all goes to what kind of show you are doing and TNG was a show about going places and doing things, not about characters developing. And that's where I agree with you Overlord, there was no need for both Tasha and Worf since there was no need for two security people.
Old February 4 2012, 05:22 PM   #5
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

If they had a larger cast we might've been spared such classics as Birthright, Sub Rosa, Inheritance and Bloodlines.
Old February 4 2012, 05:23 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

Bisz wrote: View Post
I'm with Sho, other shows have managed to do very well with larger casts (DS9, Firefly). It all goes to what kind of show you are doing and TNG was a show about going places and doing things, not about characters developing. And that's where I agree with you Overlord, there was no need for both Tasha and Worf since there was no need for two security people.
Worf wasn't a security person til Crosby left the show...
Old February 4 2012, 08:20 PM   #7
davejames
Vice Admiral

I think the problem was more that Yar and Wesley just weren't terribly interesting characters. The writers clearly had a hard time thinking up good storylines for them, and it just made sense that they finally had to go.

Of course Troi, Beverly, and George weren't all that interesting either, but they at least served a functional purpose on the show.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 08:55 PM   #8
Anwar
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
If they had a larger cast we might've been spared such classics as Birthright, Sub Rosa, Inheritance and Bloodlines.
Sarcasm sensor is broken, because I thought Birthright and Bloodlines were good episodes...
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 08:55 PM   #9
BillJ
Admiral

Anwar wrote: View Post
Sarcasm sensor is broken, because I thought Birthright and Bloodlines were good episodes...
That makes one of us...
Old February 5 2012, 02:01 AM   #10
HaventGotALife
Fleet Captain

The Overlord wrote: View Post
Did TNG have too many characters at first? It seems like TNG got better after Tasha Yar died and they focused more on other characters like Worf, with one less character hogging the spotlight. It seems like at first there were too many characters to handle, Tasha Yar made Worf seem redundant. Also the series got even better after Wesley Cruhser was demoted to guest star.
I think some of this is true. Remember, it's not just Tasha. LaForge was on the bridge meaning they had to have a guest star in Engineering. Wesley was annoying becase this was a character with no training that knew everything. Why is he on the bridge of the flagship of the Federation? There was something very mystical abot his character in the first season. Worf was essentially a guest-star in the first season. He had nothing important to do or say (until Heart of Glory).

But the series had other problems as well. They didn't have any mysteries--characters figured out what was happening, speculated. For instance, in Datalore without any testing of the hypothesis Riker comes up with all the answers and there's no investigation or confirmation. That's bad writing.

The bridge crew was too eager to please and behaved like they werre always under fire. I found the audiotrack to be quite annoying.

Anyway, I like the pace of the show once the third season rolled around. The subtle nature of Patrick Stewart's acting and it really became a show about Picard's decisions. We didn't have too many problems that didn't end up on his desk.

I like Worf better in DS9 than the brute he was in TNG. I don't like Riker much. These were foils around Picard. It wasn't as much of an ensemble as we like to portray.
Old February 5 2012, 04:22 PM   #11
BennyRussel
Commander

Anwar wrote: View Post
Anwar I don't know why people rip on "Birthright." I thought it was a good episode.

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
The bridge crew was too eager to please and behaved like they werre always under fire.
HaventGotALife please elaborate on the above statement. Are you saying they were too eager to follow the Captain's orders? It seems to me that they were just doing their jobs.

HaventGotALife wrote: View Post
It wasn't as much of an ensemble as we like to portray.
HaventGotALife I agree that the "ensemble" became "Stewart/Spiner/Dorn." Not to the extreme that it became "Shatner/Nimoy/Kelley" on TOS but close.
BennyRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2012, 04:32 PM   #12
Sho
Fleet Captain

I think the "Birthright" two-parter may have been Worf's best outing in the franchise.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 04:19 AM   #13
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

There were too many characters in the beginning...and I think in another two or three edits of the piolet Gene and Dorothy would've seen their mistakes.

I heard there were some heated arguments between Roddenberry and Berman in regards to rearranging the characters, but I have never heard what each party wanted to do.

Last edited by Anji; February 6 2012 at 04:19 AM. Reason: clarity
Anji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 6 2012, 04:20 AM   #14
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Later on they had Chief Obrien, Ensign Ro, Reg Barclay added to the mix.

RAMA
Old February 6 2012, 04:26 AM   #15
bullethead
Fleet Captain

I think most of the problems with the characters had to do with the fact that people high up in the food chain were at odds with the staff writers. I know Maurice Hurley screwed over Tracey Torme's original script for The Royale and IIRC he blocked the writer for The Arsenal of Freedom from establishing a Picard/Crusher romance. In fact, his only good contribution that I know of is helping create the Borg.