Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 4 2012, 11:57 PM   #376
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: Heroic Age/Avengers Ongoing Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

So, uh...what's going on in Marvel these days? I haven't read anything regularly since around Secret Invasion. Got kinda tired of the endless crossovers and big events. I don't even know what the good books are any more. Would I be terribly confused if I tried picking up an issue of one of the Avengers books, or an X Book?
Old February 5 2012, 12:03 AM   #377
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ There was a Schism between Logan and Scott. Scott is still with Utopia, while Logan and Kitty are Co-Headmaster and Headmistress of the Jean Grey School Of Higher Learning which is basically the rebuilt Westchester School. Wolverine and the X-Men is the better of the two books. Uncanny X-Men relaunched and is Scott's book. Spider-Man is awesome again thanks to Dan Slott who seems to have the freedom to tell his own stories and not be interfered with from editorial. The Fantastic Four is fantastic thanks to the amazing Jonathan Hickman. Mark Waid is writing an amazing Daredevil.

The Avengers are fighting Norman Osborn again, then Ultron and are preparing to face the X-Men in the big summer event with the Phoenix entity returning as the catalyst. Cable has returned and been attacking Avengers in an irrelevantly bad written book by Jeph Loeb. Namor is an X-Men and Defender. Steve Rogers is Captain America again, Bucky is back as Winter Solider and doing black ops with Black Widow. Greg Ruka is writing Punisher, and Jason Aaron who writes Wolverine and the X-Men is writing the Incredible Hulk and has separated Banner and the Hulk and has been really interesting so far.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2012, 12:19 AM   #378
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Bah, never liked Cable all that much anyways.

Well now that I've had a crash course on the last few years, maybe I'll start picking some Marvel books up again. I've been out of the 'verse too long and was really starting to miss some of those guys.
Old February 5 2012, 12:22 AM   #379
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ To answer your question would you be confused if you picked up a random book now...probably maybe is my answer. You should be fine though and can always go back and get the trades of most of what I typed. I just did a really brief synopsis on what I'm reading now

Old February 5 2012, 12:23 AM   #380
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Of course, there's always Wikipedia, too.
Old February 7 2012, 12:31 AM   #381
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Ha! I honestly was at a loss trying to decide whether to post this here, the Avengers movie thread, or the digital comics thread.

Anyway, I downloaded the first free chapter of "Fury's Big Week", an Avengers movie prequel comic. It actually begins during the climactic scene of Captain America: The First Avenger (although I'm not sure if the 1943 date is correct), we see Cap fighting the Hydra agents on the Valkyrie, and then follows the progress of one of the Hydra agents... all of the way to the ground.

In the present day, we find a team of SHIELD agents, including Fury and Coulson, recovering the body and the Red Skull's bomb/plane. It would seem that Fury is actively searching for Steve Rogers, and actually expects him to be recoverable. The task is interrupted ht a communication from the World Security Council, who order Fury to pack it all up and return to headquarters.

Once home, the WSC informs Fury of a change in priorities-- He is to stop wasting time and resources on "wasteful" projects like finding Rogers (who the WSC believes would be irrelevant in the modern day), coddling Stark (when all he should be doing is securing Stark's tech), and surveillance of Banner (who is too big of a question mark). Instead he is to focus his time and efforts on re-energizing the tesseract.

Fury doesn't take too well to the directive, and tells Coulson to just keep doing what he has been doing all along, just do it secretly, and hope that it doesn't blow up in their faces.

This is to be the first of eight parts, with the rest of the chapters be cost 99 cents each. The first chapter was 10 pages, and I would assume the rest to be the same. In the end, that works out to be less than $7 for an 80-page comic.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; February 7 2012 at 05:14 AM.
Turtletrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 03:06 AM   #382
shivkala
Rear Admiral

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Well now that I've had a crash course on the last few years, maybe I'll start picking some Marvel books up again. I've been out of the 'verse too long and was really starting to miss some of those guys.
Daredevil is recently new (its on issue #8) and is really, really good. Waid took Matt Murdock and started fresh. What happened, happened, but it's in Matt's past, so you don't need to be an expert on what happened to him (I, for instance, had never read Daredevil before now).

Wolverine and the X-Men interests me. I think I'll pick up the first trade when it comes out to see if I like it. I was a big fan of Morrison's run on New X-Men, and I keep hearing this run compared favorably to his run.

As I said earlier, I loved DnA's Marvel Cosmic (I call it "DnA," but I should really acknowledge Keith Giffen for getting the ball rolling in Annihilation and really setting the stage for the Guardians of the Galaxy in Annihilation Conquest: Starlord). I think I'll also check out Hickman's Fantastic Four run in trades.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 03:17 AM   #383
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

X-Men: Schism and ReGenesis have taken a little from past X-Men runs...especially Morrison's. I'd highly recommend Wolverine and the X-Men as well, along with Uncanny X-Force which I've started to get into.

Old February 7 2012, 03:28 AM   #384
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Can I read Wolverine and the X-Men without reading X-Men: Schism?
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7 2012, 03:32 AM   #385
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Wolverine and the X-Men is just too goofy for me. The students that seem to be the focus (Quire, Idie, Broo and some Shi'ar kid) just aren't characters that interest me. I've never liked Quire, and Idie's whole "I'm such an evil monster" schtick is getting really old. Doesn't this school have any councilors? They just let this kid go around telling everybody (including state inspectors) that she is such an evil monster and nobody tries to to say, "No Idie, you are not a monster. You are a special person with a special gift"? Really? Keiron Gillen made it sad and almost chilling in Generation Hope ("I won't burn in this world, I'll burn in the next"), but it's rapidly becoming a cliche in WatXM. Add the Hellfire Tots, and other reasons which I've already mentioned in this thread and I am trying not to be repetitive, it's just not my cup of tea.

Last edited by Turtletrekker; February 7 2012 at 05:11 AM.
Old February 7 2012, 03:44 AM   #386
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I love the students and Quire has grown on me! @Shiv...ya you can read Wolvie without reading Schism but I'd still recommend it.

The First Season One Hardcover from Marvel gets released tomorrow....Fantastic Four. Also finished Winter Solider #1 finally and really enjoyed it. The one thing I love the most about Bucky...is his relationship with 'Tasha. You can tell these two are in love and care about one another. It has been a relationship that I've actually really enjoyed since it was first introduced a few years ago. The art is quite good as well. Sets the tone for the book.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; February 8 2012 at 02:58 AM.
Old February 8 2012, 06:15 AM   #387
JD
Admiral

shivkala wrote: View Post
OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Daredevil is recently new (its on issue #8) and is really, really good. Waid took Matt Murdock and started fresh. What happened, happened, but it's in Matt's past, so you don't need to be an expert on what happened to him (I, for instance, had never read Daredevil before now).
Does anyone know if there's a specific reason the current DD series isn't available on Comixology? It's one of the only ongoing series from either of the Big Two that I haven't seen on there. I plan on checking out some of the earlier stuff they have on there first, but I was still curious.
Old February 8 2012, 11:46 PM   #388
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Pretty light week for me.

Journey into Mystery 634-- Another great issue from one of Marvels best books. The adventures of kid Loki are just fun, funny and fantastical, even when teaming up with Damon Hellstrom (although Hellstrom considers Loki his "sidekick") against Nightmare.

Captain America 8-- The Powerless arc continues and it feels like I've read this before-- oh, wait, I have, in the Steve Rogers: Super Soldier mini (among others).

The new Captain America series has been enjoyable, but hasn't been setting my world on fire. I'm in no danger of dropping it--I'd keep buying it for the Alan Davis art alone-- but it makes one realize just how much Brubaker's previous Captain America series was about Bucky even from the very first issue, even before the reveal that he was still alive. This is the really first time Brubaker's Captain America has been primarily about Steve Rogers, and it's coming up just a little short in comparison. On the other hand, Brubaker's Winter Soldier #1 DID set my world on fire--I've read it at least five times and can't wait for the next issue.

Seven page preview of Avengers vs X-Men #1!

Last edited by Turtletrekker; February 9 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old February 9 2012, 01:01 AM   #389
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I am really excited for AVX. A lot of issues and plots over the preceding years are going to be brought up and hopefully resolved.

Old February 9 2012, 01:46 AM   #390
Mr Light
Admiral

I'm really not enjoying the new Cap Am, aside from the initial Steve McNiven art. The Serpent Squad is just extremely silly and 1980s to me. I haven't really enjoyed Cap since the "Reborn" mini. That was a nice climax to the Brubaker Saga, and everything since then has been very disappointing.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote