Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 4 2012, 02:01 AM   #256
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

UssGlenn wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
11001001-wondering if they are allowed to use the mushroom
I'd like to see the Mushroom with a bigger door and the D scaled properly, to put to rest all the talk of a identical but scaled up spacedock.
I'm sure if the footage was already used and inserted into a 25 year old TNG episode, they would be allowed to use it again. I can't see something like that being overlooked when the contracts or whatever were drawn up.

And yeah, it would be cool to see the size upped a little more. Just a little bit though, because the station already seems kind of ridiculously big.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 02:01 AM   #257
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I can't wait for my 1st season review thread...

RAMA
Old February 4 2012, 02:02 AM   #258
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

davejames wrote: View Post
I hate to say it, but watching the 1st and 2nd seasons again, I'm starting to think Berman had the right idea by changing the music the way he did. As exciting as some of the early themes were, they DO make the show seem awfully corny and dated now.

The quieter, more classical music of the later seasons somehow made the show feel a LOT more sophisticated.

It may be repetative, but Ron Jones' work in episodes like The Defector and Booby Trap I completely adore. It does exactly what a TV soundtrack should do - add tension.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 02:04 AM   #259
Sho
Fleet Captain

I'm sure if the footage was already used and inserted into a 25 year old TNG episode, they would be allowed to use it again. I can't see something like that being overlooked when the contracts or whatever were drawn up.
There was some speculation in the other thread that they redid the BoP for Sins due to rights problems with sourcing the STIII imagery again, that's what RAMA has on his mind.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 02:14 AM   #260
Ryann866
Lieutenant Commander

UssGlenn wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
11001001-wondering if they are allowed to use the mushroom
I'd like to see the Mushroom with a bigger door and the D scaled properly, to put to rest all the talk of a identical but scaled up spacedock.

And yeah, it would be cool to see the size upped a little more. Just a little bit though, because the station already seems kind of ridiculously big.
To remaster and re-comp that shot they'd need the individual ILM elements from TREK III which might be hard to get so we might see a CGI recreation of the spacedock.

Makes me think about all the effects elements they pulled from the features and comped in and how they'll deal with those for this HD release (Klingon ships from TMP in Heart of Glory, Regula I station used in a bunch of places, more Trek III &Trek IV BOP shots from Redemption, the V'Ger explosion from Tin Man)
Ryann866 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 02:22 AM   #261
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I hate to say it, but watching the 1st and 2nd seasons again, I'm starting to think Berman had the right idea by changing the music the way he did. As exciting as some of the early themes were, they DO make the show seem awfully corny and dated now.

The quieter, more classical music of the later seasons somehow made the show feel a LOT more sophisticated.
Watch the third season where the music was damn-near brilliant.
Old February 4 2012, 03:04 AM   #262
DostoyevskyClone
Captain

Sho wrote: View Post

There's a bunch of questions we have to find answers to for the "poll project":
  • Do we care to fashion the polls in such a way that I can extract the data for a page like the one I made for the TrekLit reviews?
  • Because if so, we need per-episode polls, which requires per-episode threads. Which begs the question whether it's too late now that we have this thread for the entire sampler. And later, when full season sets arrive, what are we going to do then - open 22/26 threads at once? Hrm.
  • What do we want the polls to be about? They have to pose a clearly defined question, not something vague enough to fit both "how did you like the ep?" and "how well do you think it was remastered?".
  • The poll question and response options also should be fashioned in a way that allows comparisions between threads.
To answer the first two points: Yes; I think we should do per-episode threads, which I realize will involve a lot of threads when the first season set comes out. I think that’s a bridge we can cross closer to the time (though a simple poll question of: ‘How often would you like to see a new episode thread?’ will solve a lot of it. Majority rules!). Fundamentally, I think it’s important to get feedback for each episode. Some threads will have staying power, while some will not. Also, if a poster was wanting to post a thread related to something specifically in that episode, they could just post it in the poll thread instead. The Blu-ray release of season one seems like something many of us are eagerly anticipating (and it IS a pretty big deal), so I think it's alright for the forum to have a large number of threads devoted to it. I realize I'm not an admin, so easier said than done.

To answer the third point: do we have to have just one question in a thread? Could we not ask them seperately:

1. How did you like the episode (on a 1-10 scale)
2. How well do you think the effects were remastered? (I lean more toward the 5-point scale of ‘Outstanding’ through ‘Poor’ scale here because it seems harder to rate ‘effects’ on a broader range.

Again, a pre-poll will give us further ideas for questions that we might use for all episodes, but these seem like the two most fundamental ones to me. I'm partly inclined to suggest a random joke question that can be thrown in each time just for fun. For example, with 'Encounter at Farpoint,' we might ask "Worst Actor/Actress goes to...?"

To answer the fourth point: I agree. In other words, there needs to be consistency as far as asking the exact same set of questions 170+ times. I joke, but we really do need to do that, otherwise what’s the point?

For the time being, I think three threads for this sample is not a big deal. I do think we missed the boat by not having three threads from the get-go – let that be a lesson learned for when the first season comes out. Yes, it will sometimes get a bit cluttered in here. Two points on that: when season one does finally come out, do you foresee a lot of us being inspired to bust out our crappy standard-def season sets to talk about (whatever)? There will be episodes where people will vote and not have much to say, which is fine. To paraphrase Drago: If it dies, it dies.
"Life is islands of ecstasy in an ocean of ennui, and after the age of thirty land is seldom seen. At best we wander from one much-worn sandbar to the next, soon familiar with each grain of sand we see..."

The Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart

Last edited by DostoyevskyClone; February 4 2012 at 03:22 AM.
DostoyevskyClone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 03:40 AM   #263
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

For me, it just made the show feel lifeless.
Old February 4 2012, 03:43 AM   #264
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

I'm re-watching TNG on DVD right now and it's just amazing how... ugly it looks. I did discover watching it through a regular DVD player looks better than watching it through a Blu-Ray player.
Old February 4 2012, 05:18 AM   #265
Beatnik
Lieutenant Commander

I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day. It could just be familiarity, too. I identify the latter style with Trek, since it was used for most of TNG and all of DS9. It's familiar. S1 and S2, while more interesting, sound a bit more jarring to me.

...for better or worse.
Beatnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 05:51 AM   #266
davejames
Vice Admiral

Beatnik wrote: View Post
I was thinking exactly the same thing the other day. It could just be familiarity, too. I identify the latter style with Trek, since it was used for most of TNG and all of DS9. It's familiar. S1 and S2, while more interesting, sound a bit more jarring to me.

...for better or worse.
Yeah, I'm certainly not saying the later style was ALL great-- the lack of exciting action music always frustrated the hell out of me as a kid-- but the general, overall mood just seemed like a much better fit with the show, and seemed like a better reflection of the more mature and dignified Picard as well.

The previous style seemed like it belonged more with the swashbuckling Captain Kirk.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 07:24 AM   #267
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Man, after finally seeing this show in HD, it's almost painful to go back to the old DVDs now. I tried watching Where No One Has Gone Before last night, and I swore the picture looked worse than ever.

That is one I'm definitely looking forward to seeing remastered. Especially with all those incredible nebulas, starscapes, and warp effects (and that shot of Picard almost walking out into space should be cool to see in HD as well).
I may purchase S1 solely for this episode.

Other seasons will depend whether they fix shots that need a little "reimagining". So far it seems that they won't, but who knows, anything can happen.
Old February 4 2012, 07:25 AM   #268
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

Flake wrote: View Post
It is a shame CBS didn't release the Star Trek film blu-rays because Paramount didn't even go to the trouble of rescanning the negatives of the movies for the blu-ray release so they could save a bit of money. Instead of a new scan they chose to use old DVD masters that where scanned at 1080i and run them through a digital cleanup that removed the film grain from the picture and turned the crew into waxworks, only TWOK and Nemesis escaped this.... whereas CBS are going to the trouble of putting an entire show back into post-production and ensuring every last pixel of film information is untouched and perfectly presented, well done CBS! Shame on Paramount :P

It felt like watching Generations on the big screen at some points, it all looks wonderful. FYI I thought the CGI flyby at the beginning of The Inner Light to be ok and an acceptable alternative to the stock 4fter flyby

I watched a DVD afterwards and my god... they will never be watched again! Season 1 can't come soon enough.
Paramount are a bunch of dicks. Fuck'em

Sho wrote: View Post
To take a tangent: I think Berman takes a lot flak from fans undeservedly in general. The guy managed the production of hundreds of hours of television, many of which you love, and they're great also because of him, not just in spite of him. Berman was heavily involved in creative aspects like editing almost all episodes, and even wrote a bunch of good scripts. Yes, you hear him getting blamed for certain choices by others involved in the making of the shows, but I think a large part of that is because it's a thankless job to be the guy who has to say "no" from time to time because he has the big picture to keep the ship afloat - it's easy to ruffle feathers and make enemies in that position. Certainly many others have also hailed him a wonderful producer over the years, anyway.

Go watch e.g. the oral history he did for the Archive of American Television. This wasn't a studio shill, he did love working on Star Trek and I'm grateful he did.
Then he shouldn't have allowed the death of Kirk. He shouldn't have allowed the destruction of the Enterprise D, and he shouldn't have allowed the death of Data and the God awful depressing ending of Nemesis. Fuck him!!
Old February 4 2012, 07:30 AM   #269
Sho
Fleet Captain

Language, dude, language ...

I'll go on record as never having had a problem with Kirk's death as shown in Generations. I agree Nemesis was poor all around, though.
Sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 09:03 AM   #270
GNDN
Commodore

So I just travelled nearly 25 years back in time

I just couldn't resist. Found myself in Target today and picked 'er up. As good if not better than all the descriptions!! From the moment the preview started, I just couldn't take my eyes off the screen. The color. The detail. I've never felt Farpoint was as weak as some say. My impression may be bathed in nostalgia, but I just enjoyed the hell out of this episode and it immediately brought me back to my first viewing in 1987 when I watched the show twice in a row (my family had gotten a VHS recorder only a few years before)

Storywise, I find the inclusion of Q to be vital. There is a point counter-point between Picard and the crew finding clues to the mystery of Farpoint Station and Q's interjections, some helpful, some instigatory. There are wonderful character moments throughout and some fantastic dialog. Far from the 'blandness' that some complain of when referencing TNG.

Music cues are often excellent, especially the foreboding sting that accompanies the arrival of the mysterious ship. The sound mix was quite satisfactory throughout, emphasizing certain sound fx that I had failed to notice (someone had mentioned the sound of the power generators outside Zorn's office)

The visuals are just phenomenal. The filmic quality is astounding. Although the white dust flecks are noticeable, I would hardly call them a distraction. I have yet to view the other 2 episodes, so have no idea if the problem is present in them as well. The ship looks incredible, as do the uniforms and even the sets. Detail is phenomenal and I'm sure I'll be noticing more tid-bits (and minor goofs) as I rewatch.

Items of interest (in no particular order):
--The ship, OMG THE SHIP looks AMAAAAZING!!!
--When Picard and Data are defining the word 'snoop' there seems to be an odd bit of carpet near the base of the Ops station (perhaps hiding a power cord)
--I'm quite curious how Q's force field effect was created, as comparison shots seem to indicate it is the original effect (not a CGI recreation) I had always assumed it was early CGI or animation of the time
--Enterprise's main impulse engine remains lit even when 'full stop' is ordered (this remains true and consistent for when the star drive section is recaptured)
--The titles. I really don't like the quotation marks. Perhaps the comparison shots from "Inner Light" on the other thread prejudiced me, but for the title and the character credits of "Zorn" and "Q", the un-italicized quotes just look cheap.
--Picard's Ready Room off the Battle Bridge. Very cool little set, not seen again on the series (I believe) Really like the curved wall and angled ceiling.
--Tasha looks veeery good in her uniform
--Troi also looks quite good in hers. I don't mind the skant at all, and the color suits her wonderfully
--First shot of the separation sequence (before the sep itself) Is that the same matte of the Enterprise as scene in Sins of the Father? Looks very familiar to the screen caps, but I haven't compared it myself
--Q's judges robe is fantastic, as is his practical 'throne'
--O'Brien --Er, sorry, Conn Officer is 'Da Man!'
--When Riker calls the ship to be beamed up, he seems to 'double tap' his communicator
--When Troi complains of feeling 'pain' down in the tunnels, she seems to de-activate her communicator half way through, and yet Riker still calls to her to let her know he's coming.
--Matte painting of the planet is fantastic. I really don't mind the repetition.
--Bandi city under fire looks quite good
--Admiral McCoy!!! Awesome...
--"Lieutenant, do you intend to blast a hole in the viewer?" Great little scene all around and shows how vital Q is as a commentator

I really do like this episode. And now even more-so. I really REALLY want to watch the rest of Season 1 right now, but just know that the DVDs will be utterly disappointing!!

If it weren't so late, I would immediately re-watch Farpoint as I did the night I first saw it.