RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,684
Members: 24,829
Currently online: 389
Newest member: Enabran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old February 2 2012, 08:33 PM   #31
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Re: The highlights of Nemesis

I think that the movie would've been much better if it had a different director. Stuart Baid just didn't seem to connect with the material all that much. If Frakes had directed it it may have turned out better. It just didn't gel all that well and probably would've with a different director. The script probably needed another draft too.
Old February 2 2012, 08:39 PM   #32
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

I was excited by the tagline when the film first was released in 2002. "A Generation's Final Journey Begins" got me so enthralled I overlooked any faults the film may have had for quite some time afterwards. But yes the film could have been better and they should have had Ambassador Spock or Commander Sela instead of relying on all-new characters outside the regular cast. Even Tomalek (sp?) would have been welcome!
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 09:07 PM   #33
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Nemesis had great potential.

The clone infiltrator plot should have been larger. The current Captain of the USS Titan is a clone and the Enterprise has to fight against a Federation starship. And they should have dumped that silly B4 sideplot. It wasn't necessary at all, it was a waste of precious screentime.

Spock should have had a role in this. They could have at least mentioned him.

I'd have left out the Reman subplot. Just have a Picard clone work in Romulan mines, amongst convicted Romulan and interspecies criminals.

And Worf should have gotten a major, well choreographed, epic fight scene (finally). Worf in a big blade fight/fist fight against badass Ron Perlman.
And then, and while it sounds minor it's actually a huge change: have the drydock scene at the beginning, and have the wedding at the END of the movie. The relationship between Riker and Troi came out of nowhere. It would have been nice and would have made for greater drama to build up to the wedding during the movie. And a "Picard gets orders, Enterprise triumphantly leaves drydock" beginning would have been a great nod to TMP, and they could have finally shown the Enterprise-E in all her glory in drydock.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 09:14 PM   #34
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Well, the Riker-Troi relationship as it was in the films started in Insurrection, but Riker always loved her, as Worf refers to at the end of that adventure.
Old February 2 2012, 10:27 PM   #35
StevenR
Lieutenant Commander

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
The relationship between Riker and Troi came out of nowhere. It would have been nice and would have made for greater drama to build up to the wedding during the movie.
It really didn't though. By the end of Insurrection they were a couple again. We went through seven years and two films of the will they/won't they get back together backstory and I guess all it took was the Fountain of Youth planet to push them over the edge and into a bathtub once and for all.
StevenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 10:50 PM   #36
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

Precisely the point I tried to make.
Old February 3 2012, 01:19 AM   #37
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

StevenR wrote: View Post
The relationship between Riker and Troi came out of nowhere. It would have been nice and would have made for greater drama to build up to the wedding during the movie.
It really didn't though. By the end of Insurrection they were a couple again. We went through seven years and two films of the will they/won't they get back together backstory and I guess all it took was the Fountain of Youth planet to push them over the edge and into a bathtub once and for all.
I didn't have a will they/won't they get back together backstory in mind, rather a will they kill off one of them or even both backstory in Nemesis that forces them even stronger together so they end up getting married. Touch on the plot point of All Good Things: Troi died in the future, and Riker blamed Worf for it. And Picard told them about it at the end of AGT. Yet that shadow never went away. And now Troi gets in real danger, and Worf saves the day.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 01:39 AM   #38
Dukhat
Commodore

I didn't have a will they/won't they get back together backstory in mind, rather a will they kill off one of them or even both backstory in Nemesis that forces them even stronger together so they end up getting married. Touch on the plot point of All Good Things: Troi died in the future, and Riker blamed Worf for it. And Picard told them about it at the end of AGT. Yet that shadow never went away. And now Troi gets in real danger, and Worf saves the day.
The problem with that scenario is that Nemesis wasn't about Riker and Troi (or Worf, or Geordi, or Crusher). None of the four TNG movies were. They were all about Picard and Data, and Nemesis was no exception.

Now I'm not being an apologist for Nemesis. I thought it sucked. But to focus on plot points from AGT would have required a completely different take on this movie.

For the four TNG films, if you weren't Picard, Data, or the villain du jour, then you were just a bit player.
Old February 3 2012, 02:03 AM   #39
MANT!
Rear Admiral

Jetboogieman wrote: View Post
The only highlight for me was the credits and a hallelujah that the assault on all things Star Trek was suppose to be about was over.
We REACH BROTHER!!

Old February 3 2012, 04:50 PM   #40
GNDN
Commodore

Caligula wrote: View Post
The assassination of the Romulan Senate.
I actually had some high hopes after seeing this scene. It felt very in tune with classic Star Trek.

The scene felt dangerous, and held a greater air of mystery than any part of TUC, for example.

I had managed to remain spoiler-free so didn't know anything of what was to come. The exciting prospect of Romulans finally on the big screen and a brand new adventure for the Enterprise had me hooked.

Then the rest of the movie played (sorry)

Donatra and the Valdore also had great potential (but were underutilized)
Old February 3 2012, 06:52 PM   #41
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

If they had made her Sela and given her a bigger part, maybe it could have worked.
Old February 3 2012, 07:59 PM   #42
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

CaptainMatt wrote: View Post
If they had made her Sela and given her a bigger part, maybe it could have worked.
I'll never understand why people wanted to shoehorn Denise Crosby into an already terrible movie?
Old February 3 2012, 08:49 PM   #43
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
CaptainMatt wrote: View Post
I'll never understand why people wanted to shoehorn Denise Crosby into an already terrible movie?
I've never really liked her acting. She's kinda wooden. And i never found Sela all that interesting...maybe in the hands of a better actress she would've been.
Old February 3 2012, 10:27 PM   #44
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Haven't had a chance to chime in on this. I loved the unique opening titles but really, really missed seeing the actors' names there. I suspected that this film would follow the lead of most other recent films and save up all the actor credits for the end, but that's when most people are walking out of a movie, and I have to keep rocking from side to side to see the screen. Even though I only saw a local opening night of "Nemesis", the lack of opening credits made me miss the enthusiastic crowds applauding all the names at the previews and gala premieres of all the other ST movies.

I also really loved seeing tipsy Picard at the wedding banquet, but most reviewers and fans seemed to think Patrick Stewart was having a bad acting day, perhaps not realising that he was deliberately making Picard slur his words.

I still enjoy the musical soundtrack very much, and play it often. The Romulan Senate getting decimated/dessicated was chilling. Tom Hardy is fascinating to watch. Loved Janeway's cameo.

Why, oh why, did the director trim out the toasting scene between Data and Picard? It sets up the emotional weight that we need to reflect upon at the end when they farewell Data. (My favourite character dies, but it was hard to feel as sad as I had for Spock, Lal, Jadzia Daz, Bareil, Carey, even Sybok!)

How I wish Jonathan Frakes had been allowed to play with this movie a little. It seemed like Paramount blamed him for "Insurrection"'s lower-than-expected performance. I think he might have drawn some much-needed warmth and nostalgia from some of the colder/darker scenes.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 12:26 AM   #45
RyuRoots
Fleet Captain

View RyuRoots's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to RyuRoots

I have to agree that Nemesis probably would've been better if they gave Frakes the director's chair again. First Contact was phenominal and Insurrection, for all its (many, many) flaws, had excellent moment-to-moment direction. There's only so much you can do with a such a poorly-thought-out and schizophrenic script.