RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,708
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 461
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 3 2012, 05:30 PM   #346
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Looks like EW has a better description.

In this epic adventure thriller, a family struggles to reunite in a post-apocalyptic American landscape: a world of empty cities, local militias and heroic freedom fighters, where every single piece of technology — computers, planes, cars, phones, even lights — has mysteriously blacked out … forever.
So it's just electricity or maybe more vaguely modern technology. I wonder if they will remember to kill all cheap non-mechanical watches.
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 06:08 PM   #347
Mistral
Vice Admiral

IT could easily be a post_EMP setting. I read somewhere 3 5000 kiloton nukes could blanket the US if detonated at 50,000 ft. Any car pre-1972(?) would be dead in the water-anything w/electronic ignition. And printed circuits? Fuggitaboutit.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 06:46 PM   #348
Christopher
Writer

No phones, no lights, no motorcars!
Not a single luxury!
Like Robinson Ca-rusoe,
It's primitive as can be!

They'll be lost without the Professor...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 09:26 PM   #349
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

AviTrek wrote: View Post
Looks like EW has a better description.

In this epic adventure thriller, a family struggles to reunite in a post-apocalyptic American landscape: a world of empty cities, local militias and heroic freedom fighters, where every single piece of technology — computers, planes, cars, phones, even lights — has mysteriously blacked out … forever.
So it's just electricity or maybe more vaguely modern technology. I wonder if they will remember to kill all cheap non-mechanical watches.
Thanks, that's much clearer. Since this is going to be Jericho 2.0, maybe they should hire Skeet Ulrich for the lead.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 12:06 AM   #350
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Here's the full ongoing list of network pilots.

Lots and lots of comedies that all sound the same to me. But that seems to happen every year, so I just ignore broadcast comedies at this point.

Other than the genre stuff, there are only a few that sound interesting.

The Frontier (NBC) - This premise seems ready-made to be one wagon train per season, with a new cast each year. Usually that's dangerous since audiences get attached to characters, but in this case, the risk might be worth it, to battle the monotony of being stuck with the same grungy wagon train for years.

Bad Girls (NBC) - A women-in-prison show would be much more fun on FX of course, but let's see what broadcast can do.

Kevin Bacon vs The Serial Killer Cult (FOX) - They should feel free to use that title, I won't sue.

All the networks look like they know the audience they're programming for - especially CBS, with a lineup that sounds exactly like what they're already airing - except for NBC, still flailing around to find an audience. With their heavy adventure and genre pickups, they seem to be hoping against hope to attract the young male demographic that has vanished from broadcast TV moreso than any other group.

EDIT: Andre Braugher is cast in the lead for The Last Resort.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; February 4 2012 at 04:05 AM.
Old February 4 2012, 05:30 AM   #351
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/andr...t-last-resort/

Emmy winner Andre Braugher is set to lead the ensamble cast of ABC’s drama pilot Last Resort, executive produced by Shawn Ryan and written-executive produced by Karl Gajdusek.

Braugher will play Capt. Marcus Chaplin, the commander of the U.S.S. Nevada, a veteran of real combat, a leader by nature and a patriot, but will not follow any man blindly.
Awesome...one of my favorite actors.
Old February 4 2012, 04:18 PM   #352
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Bad Girls (NBC) - A women-in-prison show would be much more fun on FX of course, but let's see what broadcast can do.
Wow, I thought that fell through years ago. They talked about it back when ITV were still on something like series 4, which is about 8 years ago now.
Old February 4 2012, 08:54 PM   #353
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The Prison Break producers were talking about some kind of women-in-prison spinioff series a few years ago, but it never went anywhere. Given the amount of attention the topic is sure to generate, I'm astonished that there aren't women-in-prison pilots every season.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; February 4 2012 at 09:37 PM. Reason: typoroonie
Old February 4 2012, 09:17 PM   #354
Out Of My Vulcan Mind
Vice Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
The Prison Break producers were talking about some kind of women-in-prison spinioff series a few years ago, but it never went anywhere.
It had the tentative title of Prison Break: Cherry Hill. Very evocative!
Old February 4 2012, 09:37 PM   #355
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Subtle! Yeah I liked that.
Old February 5 2012, 05:42 PM   #356
JD
Admiral

Honestly, I was disapointed they never made that. I was really hoping they'd bring Jodi Lynn O'Keefe's Gretchen Morgan over as the lead or at least a supporting character.
Old February 7 2012, 12:12 AM   #357
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

THR's pilot list, which I like better than EW's, easier to read and they will fill in casting as it comes in.

The erstwhile Antichrist has lost its name and now is just "untitled." Too spoilery? And the logline is more specific about the show's dramatic focus - Reaper for grownups?
An astrophysics grad student in NYC learns that he is the chosen one to destroy the forces of evil.
Hottest actors for pilot season.

Someone get Josh Holloway and Zachary Levi a job! (Hopefully the latter won't be stuck on a comedy because none of them sound as interesting as Chuck - well, maybe the ones about the aliens in the apartment complex...)

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; February 7 2012 at 02:27 AM.
Old February 8 2012, 09:48 PM   #358
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

http://www.tvline.com/2012/02/daisy-...st-resort-abc/

Australian actress Daisy Betts — best known stateside for her role in NBC’s summer thriller Persons Unknown — has joined Andre Braugher in Last Resort, an ABC drama pilot...

Betts, whose credits also include an arc on Harry’s Law, will play Grace Shepard, a gutsy lieutenant working under Braugher’s Capt. Marcus Chaplin.
Old February 8 2012, 09:53 PM   #359
Jetfire

http://www.ksitetv.com/supernatural/...lt-pilot/11535

Supernatural’s Alona Tal Cast In The CW’s Cult Pilot
Alona Tal has been cast as Kelly Collins, the lead character...
This is great.
Old February 8 2012, 09:57 PM   #360
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Good news! ^ I was just about to post it.

more casting for Cult
zap2it.com

- Jessica Lucas, one of the better things about The CW's ill-fated "Melrose Place" reboot, will return to the network for its drama pilot "Cult,"