Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old February 2 2012, 09:09 PM   #16
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: Your Love For Amok Time !!!

Forbin wrote: View Post
Although I always wondered why a logical Vulcan woman would need to cause this much trouble, and someone's death, to change partners. Surely there were legal options in such an advanced society.

Also wondered why a logical Vulcan woman would wear so much makeup and jewelry. Then again, it WAS her wedding.
Cuz Vulcans talk a good game about logic, but in the end, they're hypocrites who use logic to rationalize whatever bad behavior they want to get up to.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 11:29 PM   #17
Sky
Captain

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Forbin wrote: View Post
Although I always wondered why a logical Vulcan woman would need to cause this much trouble, and someone's death, to change partners. Surely there were legal options in such an advanced society.
Cuz Vulcans talk a good game about logic, but in the end, they're hypocrites who use logic to rationalize whatever bad behavior they want to get up to.
This. And the fact that if the ladies decide to walk out of their arranged marriages, their husbands-to-be will die of the blood fever, so it's probably kind of discouraged.
Sky   is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 12:03 AM   #18
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

One thing that always resonated with me was when Spock asks McCoy to beam down with him and Kirk. McCoy is genuinely touched to be considered one of Spock's closest friends. No sarcasm. No humerous coments. Just a simple: "I would be honored, sir."
It was moments like this that helped show that in the end, push comes to shove, Bones and Spock were about as close friends as one could get.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 12:35 AM   #19
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

You'd have to be really dumb to cross a Vulcan woman.
Old February 3 2012, 12:43 AM   #20
Sky
Captain

sbk1234 wrote: View Post
One thing that always resonated with me was when Spock asks McCoy to beam down with him and Kirk. McCoy is genuinely touched to be considered one of Spock's closest friends. No sarcasm. No humerous coments. Just a simple: "I would be honored, sir."
It was moments like this that helped show that in the end, push comes to shove, Bones and Spock were about as close friends as one could get.
Yes, that's an excellent scene. Whenever I watch TOS nowadays it's this kind of scenes I notice - the small things which together form the Big Three. The Kirk - Spock - McCoy dynamic is what makes TOS TOS, in my opinion.
Old February 3 2012, 01:05 AM   #21
TOSalltheway
Lieutenant Commander

I love how Spocks emotional outbust is not a joke, not a gimick but does show his real affection for his captain and friend to the point he "dropped his guard" for a moment. Very touching.
TOSalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 02:40 AM   #22
CaptainMatt
Fleet Captain

This remains a favorite episode for me, as I saw it in the late 1980s when I was not quite a teenager yet, but starting to appreciate the types of issues this episode delat with at the time. Excellent story, characterisation moments and action.
A solid Trek.
CaptainMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 09:21 AM   #23
gottacook
Commander

Good gravy, all these posts and no one has yet mentioned Gerald Fried's absolutely essential contribution to "Amok Time." What great work from his pen and from the musicians as well.
gottacook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 02:10 PM   #24
Sky
Captain

gottacook wrote: View Post
Good gravy, all these posts and no one has yet mentioned Gerald Fried's absolutely essential contribution to "Amok Time." What great work from his pen and from the musicians as well.
Good point. Amok Time's musical score is excellent.
Old February 3 2012, 05:27 PM   #25
Kalontas
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Watched it for the first time a few days ago and it felt weird to have that whole irrational ritual with the Vulcans. Like Kirk aptly notes, "I always figured [you choose your mates] very logically". The episode itself wasn't bad, I knew beforehand what really is McCoy giving Kirk in that injection - generally I liked (though not loved) the episode. Not loved mainly because it felt illogical to have Vulcans... mate like animals, to put it shortly. Yeah, I know the repressed, calm ones are the quickest to crack down, but "Naked Time" has done it (Spock breaking up about his mother) much better IMO.
Kalontas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 09:33 PM   #26
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow

Sky wrote: View Post
gottacook wrote: View Post
Good point. Amok Time's musical score is excellent.
I agree some great music score in this episode !!!!
Old February 3 2012, 09:53 PM   #27
22 Stars
Commodore

I would love a nod to this great score in the next film. That would be fun.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 12:17 AM   #28
Sky
Captain

Kalontas wrote: View Post
Watched it for the first time a few days ago and it felt weird to have that whole irrational ritual with the Vulcans. Like Kirk aptly notes, "I always figured [you choose your mates] very logically". The episode itself wasn't bad, I knew beforehand what really is McCoy giving Kirk in that injection - generally I liked (though not loved) the episode. Not loved mainly because it felt illogical to have Vulcans... mate like animals, to put it shortly. Yeah, I know the repressed, calm ones are the quickest to crack down, but "Naked Time" has done it (Spock breaking up about his mother) much better IMO.
It sort of never bothered me because I just always figured that a) Vulcans are very emotional and volatile under all that reason and logic and thus NEED the logic - to the point of overdoing it - to keep themselves in control and that b) Spock, being the only one really giving us insight about what Vulcans are like, exaggerated a lot. After all, he, being half human, had to be more Vulcan than Vulcans to be accepted.
Old February 4 2012, 01:47 AM   #29
RedShirtNoob
Ensign

Location: Hip-deep in tribbles aboard Deep Space Station K-7.

It is a fine episode. I watched it for the first time last Sunday. Many things made it an enjoyable and memorable experience for me. I thought Spock's curious behavior was intriguing, as was Pon farr altogether. Finally seeing Vulcan was a treat too.

I had a couple of verbal outbursts during the episode; once at T'Pring when she chose Kirk as her champion and then again at McCoy when the fight was over. "CPR! CPR! CPR!"

The fact that Vulcans didn't choose their mates by any logical means didn't bother me. My only qualm with the episode was Kirk's reasoning for accepting the role of T'Pring's Champion. It felt, to me, less like something Kirk chose to do and more like something the writer forced him to do.

It's one of my favorite episodes as well.
RedShirtNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4 2012, 02:02 AM   #30
Sky
Captain

One thing that bothers me about the episode is Spock's line after they're all back on the Enterprise. The "Ah, yes, the girl" bit. Strangely dismissive and uninterested, considering she was his wife to be and almost got either him or Kirk killed. (And it's kind of jarring to hear him use the word "girl", as T'Pring was supposedly the same age as he was - they were bonded when they were 7, after all.)