Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old January 29 2012, 12:13 PM   #4036
BRG
Commander

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

My Killie are in national Cup Final again!

Kilmarnock beat county rivials Ayr Utd 1-0 in a hard fought, low quality League Cup Semi-Final at Hampden.
It was the first time an Ayshire derby was played at this stage of a national cup, and just over 25,000 fans made the trip up the M77(15,000 from Killie 10,000 from Ayr) an excellent attendance from two provincial sides! Proof that there is a lot of support for teams outside the Old Firm, but scottish football really has to find a way to get them turning out every week(Killie are only hitting around 5,000 home gates this season).

Anyway. We will play either Celtic or Falkirk in the final in mid-March. While Celtic will be odds-on to lift the trophy, the League Cup in the only domestic title Killie have yet to win, so hopefully 2012 wil finally be our year!
BRG
Scottish League Cup Winners- 2012

Last edited by BRG; January 29 2012 at 07:19 PM.
BRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29 2012, 06:41 PM   #4037
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

^

That's a great story. I love it when rivals got pulled together in a cup game after years and years like that.

Starkers wrote: View Post
I had a funny feeling you might post on here today

Well done anyway, not having a bad season are you.
I nearly didn't, but had to get the Swanselona dig in This season is bizarre - by rights we should be in transistion, yet this entire new team has come together so well so quickly and we're flying. It helps the Championship is so open and we got a bit of luck with the cup draws, but still. Incredible - and the team are so much more fun to watch too. No real sense of expectation, unlike the crippling weight of demand for success under Dave Jones (amazed he's still not taken another job yet).

I know my attention is elsewhere, but am I the only one who's not finding the FA Cup (with Budweiser) at all interesting this season? Just seems like the same old teams playing each other all the time and no shocks at all... The only game I've enjoyed was Wrexham v Brighton on S4C and I think that was more out of Welsh solidarity than anything else!
Old January 29 2012, 07:01 PM   #4038
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

I think they should do away with the League Cup. Teams are always complaining about the number of fixtures and fixture congestion, and more and more unless it's a big game, or the latter stages most of the bigger teams field weakened sides.

Personally, I'd rather that they dispense with the League Cup, and hand a Europa League spot back to the league positions.
Old January 29 2012, 11:58 PM   #4039
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

The utter devastation of going undefeated through a 16 regular season and making it to the Super Bowl, only to have a historic season snatched away should be enough motivation to push the Pats past the Giants. If it turns out not to be then Bellichick is going to have to answer a lot of sensitive and not easy to answer, questions.

However, on the surface the Giants do appear to be quite capable of once again spoiling the Pats' coronation. They can put pressure on Brady, control the ball on offense, and have a quarterback with the skills and poise to add yet another Patriot's pelt to his belt. In fact, were it not for the substantial psychological advantage I believe belongs to the Pats, I'd pick the Giants by a 3 or less to win it.

The pressure is all on the Pats, they either win it and quell the demons created in 2007 or lose it and make their bitchdom to the Giants official. There is nothing in between, although I'm sure that if the Pats do lose to the Giants again a Pats fan or two will show up here to claim that there is.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 12:59 AM   #4040
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

^^ Wrong thread fella. This one's about football with your feet. You're looking for football with your hands......
Old January 30 2012, 05:28 AM   #4041
gblews
Rear Admiral

View gblews's Twitter Profile

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
^^ Wrong thread fella. This one's about football with your feet. You're looking for football with your hands......
Good lord...and I've been spending the last 15 minutes or so cursing out the bbs for eating my post. Sorry folks.
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 07:01 PM   #4042
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
I think they should do away with the League Cup. Teams are always complaining about the number of fixtures and fixture congestion, and more and more unless it's a big game, or the latter stages most of the bigger teams field weakened sides.

Personally, I'd rather that they dispense with the League Cup, and hand a Europa League spot back to the league positions.
Better still, get rid of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy and boot the Premier League sides out of the League Cup full-stop. Divisons 2-4 involved only. Maybe the PL sides might bother trying to win the only Cup left to them then. I have no idea about the European places available but frankly we have too many anyway.
Old January 30 2012, 07:15 PM   #4043
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Considering that English clubs don't seem to give a fuck about the European Cup, especially the Europa League, I agree.

Maybe they should follow your plan, but still reward the winner with a EC spot. I bet West Ham, Leeds, Derby, etc. would bust their asses at the chance of playing against clubs like Dortmund, Porto, Lazio, ect in competitive matches (and for a handsome bit of money too).
Old January 31 2012, 12:22 AM   #4044
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

The JP trophy idea is certainly a good one.

In terms of European qualification - personally, I'd have the top 3 qualifying for the CL, and then the FA Cup winners taking the fourth spot. That would get the bigger teams interested again, especially considering that there are effectively 6 teams going for 4 spaces now and it's not always guaranteed which 4 teams will get those spots.

I'd also get rid of his b0ll0cks about losers getting into Europe if the winners have already qualified. Nope. In that scenario the spot should go back to the league.
Old January 31 2012, 07:19 PM   #4045
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Wow, support? I came up with that on the spot!

I think four clubs from one country for the CL is too many. Especially when there's only 3 for the Europa beneath. Could flip that around... or bring back the Cup Winners Cup for, well, Cup Winners.

I'm not sure about the FA Cup losers point - Stoke are the only Europa side from England who are giving the Europa a good fist (maybe Brum I suppose). Depends on who the loser is, I guess - someone like Arsenal or City wouldn't worry too much about it, Stoke/Everton/Villa might.

Nothing will ever change though - promotion/relegation is just too costly to stop teams priortising league over cup. Teams would rather the ridiculous windfall from winning the play-off final than winning the FA Cup. And sadly that attitude has spread from the boardroom to the players and the fans. I don't buy it at all - a trophy is a trophy, and how many teams ever win one compared to how many get promoted for a handful of seasons? Would yo-yo clubs like Brum and WBA really like to stay as they are bouncing up and down divisions rather than going and winning a cup?*

*Brum probably not the best example as they won the League Cup last year and got relegated to boot. Fans loved it though.
Old January 31 2012, 11:38 PM   #4046
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

The CL these days is a joke. It's a closed shop, with the rare exception, where it's either Spanish or English teams in the latter stages with the odd Italian and German team thrown in. Personally, I wouldn't have a problem if they went right back to only the league winners qualifying, that would make it much more interesting. Never happen though, far too much money in it now for Uefa and the clubs.

FA Cup losers - I just think it makes a bit of a mockery of qualification when you qualify by losing. I take the point of the smaller teams taking the competition more seriously, but for me they should try and get the bigger teams interested again. One way of doing that would be to reward the cup winners with a CL spot.
Old February 1 2012, 12:22 AM   #4047
Skywalker
Admiral

Good on Everton for beating Manchester City. They seem to have had a pretty rough season so far, so a win like this is great for them.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 01:24 PM   #4048
Starkers
Admiral

Terry's lost tha captaincy again I see. Odd one this, personally I think he's a toerag, but he hasn't actually been convicted of anything yet, and if he can't be captain of England is there an argument that he shouldn't even be playing for England whilst this is hanging over him?

In other news a lovely article in the Independant today suggesting forest need to be more like Derby

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 02:03 PM   #4049
Jax
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Terry's lost tha captaincy again I see. Odd one this, personally I think he's a toerag, but he hasn't actually been convicted of anything yet, and if he can't be captain of England is there an argument that he shouldn't even be playing for England whilst this is hanging over him?

In other news a lovely article in the Independant today suggesting forest need to be more like Derby
Terry never should of gotten it back and Terry shouldn't play for ENG at the moment but mainly due to his form being poor.
Old February 4 2012, 07:13 PM   #4050
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Nottingham Forest owner Nigel Doughty has been found dead in the gym at his home in Skillington, Lincolnshire.
In October, Doughty, 54, announced he would be stepping down as Forest chairman at the end of the season .
He bought the club in 1999 for £11m, saving them from administration, and took over as chairman from Eric Barnes three years later.
The life-long Forest fan is estimated to have invested more than £100m of his personal fortune into the club.
Shocking news. Sympathies to all concerned.