Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old February 1 2012, 12:07 AM   #331
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Also going to pilot at the CW:

...romantic time-travel musical Joey Dakota ... based on the successful Israeli half-hour series Danny Hollywood, it centers on a documentary filmmaker who travels back in time to the 1990s, where she meets and falls in love with the rock-star subject of her film. When she unexpectedly returns to present day, she must find her way back to the past to reunite with her love and prevent his untimely death.
The Selection sounds interesting, Joey Dakota a lot less so.
Presumably, the time travel is some kind of unexpected and uncontrollable event. If somebody had the ability to travel through time, I think the 1990s would probably be pretty low on the list of destinations.
Old February 1 2012, 02:06 AM   #332
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

If Ex-Comm doesn't have aliens, they might as well not bother. But they should change the name - it sounds like something embarrassing you buy at the drugstore.

Couple more pickups at ABC.

Michael Green’s Gotham, from 20th Century Fox TV, centers on a female cop who, after pursuing a seemingly unsolvable case, discovers a magical world that exists within New York City.
Zero Hour, written and executive produced by Paul Scheuring is through ABC Studios. A bizarre twist of fate pulls a man who’s spent 20 years as the editor of a skeptics magazine into one of the most compelling conspiracies in human history.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 09:29 PM   #333
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Here's a Cartoon Network show that could be a lot of fun, if it's not pitched solely to the kid audience:

Nep League.

game show which transports contestants into magical, videogame-like worlds
For the sake of fairness, I am forced to report that Zombies and Cheerleaders has gone to pilot. From Disney.

The story follows Zed Necrodopolis, a typical high school student with one small caveat; he happens to be a zombie. Despite a high-tech wristwatch designed to curb any appetite he may have for his classmates, he and his zombie friends remain unpopular with the school's most influential group, the pom-pom wielding cheerleaders. Never one to back down from a challenge, Zed sets out to improve zombie student body relations and win the attention of Addison, the cheerleading squad's newest member.
Old February 1 2012, 11:48 PM   #334
RJDiogenes

Yeah, right. Over her dead body.

Oh, wait....
Old February 2 2012, 01:22 AM   #335
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

More Beautiful People casting

The Ghost Whisperer alum David Conrad and Tovah Feldshuh round out the cast of NBC’s drama pilot Beautiful People. Conrad will play Jerry, the head of Universal Kinematics, a Steve Jobs-type of entrepreneurial genius, expert at both high-level design and higher-level marketing of sophisticated Mechanical servants. Feldshuh will play the head of the Mechanical Control Division of the police department who is determined to keep them a cowed, servile underclass.
First casting for Last Resort

Daniel Lissing (The Cure) is the first actor cast in ABC’s drama pilot Last Resort, from Shawn Ryan and Karl Gajdusek. The Sony TV-produced project centers on the crew of the U.S.S. Nevada, a nuclear submarine, who, after disobaying a suspicous order, become fugitives. They land on the island of Sainte Marina, where they take over the NATO Listening Station and declare themselves an independent nuclear nation. Lissing will play a member of the crew, SEAL officer James King, a lethal killer with no ties back home.
Old February 2 2012, 01:44 AM   #336
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

S'funny, as familiar as Tovah Feldshuh's name is, I can't recall having once seen her in anything before.

Daniel Lessing looks just like Duke from Haven.
Old February 2 2012, 02:49 AM   #337
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

Kevin Bacon To Star In Kevin Williamson’s Serial Killer Fox Pilot

Kevin Bacon is headed to primetime. In a big casting coup, I’ve learned that the feature actor is set to topline Kevin Williamson’s Fox drama pilot. This marks the first major series role for Bacon who had been heavily pursued by broadcast and cable networks for years. But in a twist, I hear that Bacon has committed to doing 15 episodes a season vs. the standard 22 for a broadcast series.

The untitled Kevin Williamson project, from Warner Bros TV and Williamson’s studio-based Outerbanks Entertainment, is described as an edge-of-the-seat thriller about a diabolical serial killer who uses technology to create a cult of serial killers, and a retired FBI profiler (Bacon) who finds himself in the middle of it.
Old February 2 2012, 09:12 PM   #338
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

That is awesome news about Kevin Bacon, but I wasn't exactly sure that show was "genre" (I think by "technology," they just mean the internet, not something sci fi) so I haven't been following it.
Old February 3 2012, 02:08 AM   #339
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

JJ Abrams' Revolution has been picked up to pilot at NBC, and sure enough, it's sci fi.

...a high-octane action drama following a group of characters struggling to survive and reunite with loved ones in a world where all forms of energy have mysteriously ceased to exist.
Weird concept, not sure how that's going to play out in a weekly series, but at least it's different, and it's nice to see an ambitious premise for a change. No magic cops or vampires.

PS, I'm sure that description means "man made" forms of energy because if the Sun has ceased to exist, that's going to be a very short series.

My first question is whether this scenario is "natural" - a product of humans running through all energy sources - or does it happen as a bolt from the blue, and nobody knows why? I figure it's gotta be the latter because the former is pretty crazy. We'd screw up the climate beyond repair before we used up all the oil and coal deposits on the planet. Which means there's bound to be an overarching mystery element.
Old February 3 2012, 02:24 AM   #340
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

^^^

That reminds me of the novel Ill Wind. In that book there's a huge oil spill and the oil company tries to clean up the spill using this organism they've created that eats oil. It winds up destroying all the oil in the world including rubber products or anything else oil based. Everything after that goes all Mad Max.
Old February 3 2012, 04:46 AM   #341
Caliburn24
Commodore

Revolution sounds like someone in Hollywood read S.M. Stirling's Dies the Fire books. Which for many years has been one of the premises I thought would make for a great TV show.

I hope they don't mess it up. But I can't see a network truly embracing the darkness and bleakness that such a premise has to entail. 80-90% of the population in the developed world starving within a month or two? On NBC?

And I hope they don't wuss out and make it a post-apocalyptic show. Or skip over it, I'm looking at you Walking Dead. A big part of the premise of Dies the Fire is that the world radically changes in a single moment and you're back to the medieval level of technology with no way to ever regain high technology. Seeing how people cope with it from day one, is much more interesting than picking up the story a year or two after the event when everybody is already a badass Mad Max type.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 10:36 AM   #342
RJDiogenes

PS, I'm sure that description means "man made" forms of energy because if the Sun has ceased to exist, that's going to be a very short series.
Not to mention chemical reactions, since our cells would cease to function. And then there's gravity. And the strong force and the weak force....
Old February 3 2012, 03:06 PM   #343
AviTrek
Fleet Captain

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Not to mention chemical reactions, since our cells would cease to function. And then there's gravity. And the strong force and the weak force....
I'd wager they're just going to do electricity. I can't see the show functioning without fire either. Would a network really show people eating raw meat?
AviTrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 03:07 PM   #344
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
And Fire to heat, cook, and sterilize

ETA: Damn, Ninja'ed by AviTrek

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3 2012, 03:33 PM   #345
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Not to mention matter itself, since E = m * c^2.