Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old February 1 2012, 02:50 PM   #91
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
What floored me right off the bat was the first/second season main title sequence. It looks exactly the same as the old version, only with greater resolution. I assumed those were old CG planets that would have to be replaced. Either those were actually somehow reusable film elements or the FX team has done something I didn't think possible.
I think the planets were actual models.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 04:03 PM   #92
trekker670
Fleet Captain

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
What floored me right off the bat was the first/second season main title sequence. It looks exactly the same as the old version, only with greater resolution. I assumed those were old CG planets that would have to be replaced. Either those were actually somehow reusable film elements or the FX team has done something I didn't think possible.
I think the planets were actual models.
Yes, Rick Sternbach has stated that the solar system seen in S1 and S2 was a model. Likewise, the S3+ credits were paintings he made.

For those of you in the US, does it include a coupon for S1 like it does in the UK?
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 04:10 PM   #93
GNDN
Commodore

trekker670 wrote: View Post
For those of you in the US, does it include a coupon for S1 like it does in the UK?
Good question. I'm holding back temptation to purchase this since the season sets are already a given for me.

Yes, Rick Sternbach has stated that the solar system seen in S1 and S2 was a model. Likewise, the S3+ credits were paintings he made.
That's pretty amazing. Can't wait to see the original credit sequence.

Does it appear to be the original artwork being used for S3+? Sternbach's art is gorgeous, I just happen to prefer the solar system montage.
Old February 1 2012, 04:21 PM   #94
trekker670
Fleet Captain

GNDN wrote: View Post
trekker670 wrote: View Post
Good question. I'm holding back temptation to purchase this since the season sets are already a given for me.

That's pretty amazing. Can't wait to see the original credit sequence.

Does it appear to be the original artwork being used for S3+? Sternbach's art is gorgeous, I just happen to prefer the solar system montage.
I posted pics in the General TNG-R thread. It looks pretty great to me. I'm waiting to see the whole thing though!
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 04:39 PM   #95
Jefferies
Captain

GNDN wrote: View Post
Having seen the SD version of the orginal Season 3+ title theme probably over 1000 times, I would say yes this is still the original art work. There is some contention about this with people voicing concern about stars being too visible through the dust cloud around the proto star. However, I have to dismiss this as lacking SD detail in the previous presentation. Those stars are very fine and would easily be lost at lower resolutions. Apart from that it looks entirely like you would expect. It being the original is also supported by some tiny white scratches of film damage that can be seen which surely would not be present in a recreated intro.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 06:15 PM   #96
davejames
Vice Admiral

captrek wrote: View Post
• Denise Crosby’s acting is very, very terrible. How did she get the part?
To be fair, I think the problem in Farpoint is more that Crosby and Sirtis were both directed to be WAAAY more intense and over the top than they needed to be.

Yar's anger at Q came across convincingly; it was just way too big and outsized for the scene it was in. And for that, I blame the director.

DostoyevskyClone wrote: View Post
Re: opening Enterprise-Bird of Prey shot: Definitely put me in the camp of 'looks like shit,' or as we say in Scotland, 'looks like shite.'
"Shit" I think is going a bit far. The ships are definitely a bit too static, but they still look like real ships. And it's such a brief shot that it's hard for me to get all THAT worked up over it.

Hell, there are a couple moving shots of the Enterprise that I find less impressive than that matte painting.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 06:47 PM   #97
roliver
Fleet Captain

[QUOTE=davejames;5728195]"Shit" I think is going a bit far. The ships are definitely a bit too static...[QUOTE]

The ships are fine, it's the bizarre moving starfield that makes no sense and results in a very strange shot that pulls you out of the episode.

Which brings up the obvious question...will they do further tweaks to the episodes on the sampler (for the season sets) based on fan reaction, or are these ones it?
roliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 07:01 PM   #98
Flake
Commodore

I much prefer the old way of doing things (Matte Paintings, Models) to CGI everything of today, its all held up so well in the transition to HD whereas CGI done 10 years later will stay SD forever and look worse.
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 07:32 PM   #99
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I received the disc in the mail, this morning. When the opening credits on "Encounter at Farpoint" started up, I cried. When the Enterprise makes her first glorious appearance, my jaw just dropped. I was stunned into motionless silence as I watched her in all her bejeweled beauty. The colors just pop, and it was difficult to take it all in, all the crisp clarity and gorgeous color. Oh, wow!
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 07:43 PM   #100
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Jefferies wrote: View Post

In conclusion, I stand in awe of what CBS has accomplished here. If EaF is anything to go by Seasons One and Two might be looking at a re-invention. The remastering might even rescue them from the pits of fandom scorn and disdain in which they have lingered for so long.
Sure the writing was hit and miss during the first two seasons, but I think that remastered EaF proves is that from a visual standpoint the early episodes are far more interesting than the say the sixth and seventh season. My personal favorite season has to be season 4, which had great writing and visually was amazing. I can't wait to see those episodes in 2 years time.
Old February 1 2012, 07:53 PM   #101
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Anyone notice something peculiar about the USS Hood in the HD episode? ;-)
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 07:55 PM   #102
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post
You mean the lower sensor dome being lit up?
Old February 1 2012, 07:56 PM   #103
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Other than her changing speed?
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 07:57 PM   #104
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

Nope, something is missing...
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 08:06 PM   #105
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Nope, something is missing...
Oh, I can't be bothered to turn on my TV right now... what's missing?
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote