The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old January 30 2012, 04:32 AM   #16
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: The highlights of Nemesis

Old January 30 2012, 05:50 AM   #17
Destructor
Commodore

One thing really stands out to me: there is a deleted scene (just absolutely stunning that it got cut) where Data and Picard have a short conversation about life, death, and time. It's beautiful and thoughtful and would certainly have not been out of place in any of the best TNG episodes. It ends when they clink their glasses together, toasting 'new worlds'.

I recently watched all of TNG, all seven seasons plus four films, with my partner, and watching it with her let me see it with fresh eyes- I revised my opinions on a lot of episodes that I didn't appreciate as a younger man, and got excited all over again about a lot of other ones. Naturally, we watched Nemesis last and naturally it was a disappointment. But after we watched it we played the deleted scenes, and that was the last scene we watched: as the glasses clinked together I got very emotional, because the scene was really the end of our journey with those characters, and it couldn't have been more perfect for it.

If Nemesis did nothing else right, that scene will always be important to me.

Link on youtube here:

http://youtu.be/07tMhF2QGyk
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 02:53 PM   #18
Trek Survivor
Captain

I liked this film a lot, so for me there are plenty of highlights.
Old January 30 2012, 03:06 PM   #19
MacLeod
Admiral

Off the top of my head. "The Enterprise" music.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 09:14 PM   #20
Tom
Rear Admiral

Destructor wrote: View Post
One thing really stands out to me: there is a deleted scene (just absolutely stunning that it got cut) where Data and Picard have a short conversation about life, death, and time. It's beautiful and thoughtful and would certainly have not been out of place in any of the best TNG episodes. It ends when they clink their glasses together, toasting 'new worlds'.

Link on youtube here:

http://youtu.be/07tMhF2QGyk
That is a great scene, probably one of the best, if it was included. I can see why they cut it, it would have slowed the pacing in the begining of the film down (not that its a bad thing) . Still, if they did include it, it would have made Data's death at the end much more connected and touching.
Old January 30 2012, 09:51 PM   #21
Mr. Spook
Rear Admiral

On the technical side, it was superb. Aside from what others have mentioned, the sound design was incredible. The phasers, particularly the hand guns, were very tough. Lots of strength in the beams. The sound effects were great in general.

I liked the overall feeling of family among the crew. Riker leaving wasn't just an old friend leaving the job. He was the oldest son moving out on his own with his new bride. Data, the middle son, dies and the house was gutted by disaster, but they're repairing and moving on.

The performances were all great, Jerry Goldsmith's penultimate score before his passing was excellent; the official soundtrack CD does not do it justice and neither does the epic butchering of the end credit piece. For his career and his life to end pretty much on that end credits suite is fitting. It's a beautiful send off (Looney Tunes: Back in Action was his true "last" score, but Nemesis was his final "dramatic" score). I miss Mr. Goldsmith's contributions to motion pictures a great deal.

And honestly, I liked the whole atmosphere and the fact that it didn't take place on an Earth type planet inhabited by white people in clothing from the Land's End catalogue.

I love Nemesis, always have.
Old January 30 2012, 09:59 PM   #22
BrownShatner
Lieutenant Commander

It's been a long time since I've seen NEM, but the wedding scene felt pretty awkward and out-of-place. It seemed like something they tacked-on just for fan-wank reasons, and not to advance the plot in any way.

The space battle CGI was quite good.
BrownShatner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 11:03 PM   #23
CaptJimboJones
Vice Admiral

I'm among those who find this movie so frustrating because it did so many things wonderfully well, most of them mentioned here. Even much of the basic plot idea could have worked. I actually like the idea of delving into the mysterious "Romii" world shown on the star chart in "Balance of Terror." A Romulan coup/civil war backdrop could have worked wonderfully. Picard confronting the much-younger clone of himself, who took a very different path in life that filled him with hatred and resentment against his progenitor. Riker finally leaving the Enterprise behind and moving forward to his own command, with Deanna at his side as his new bride. A meaningful, touching end for Mr. Data.

All great ideas that could have worked. Unfortunately the way they were put together just didn't gell. But wow, when I think about it, Nemesis could have been such a great film. *sigh*
Old January 31 2012, 11:20 PM   #24
Captain Mike
Commodore

The moral dilemma of Picards, that just what shapes us as we mature...How different upbringings are the crucible that makes us who and what we are.

The NON-highlight?...Smoke coming out of the nacelles of the E going to warp.
Old February 1 2012, 12:12 AM   #25
captain crow
Fleet Captain

Location: Onboard a sliver dog bone shaped satellite in Earth orbit

The Enterprise flyby just after the wedding scene.
Old February 1 2012, 01:26 AM   #26
StevenR
Lieutenant Commander

The music. The scene with Picard and Riker as Riker is leaving the ship one last time. B4 humming "Blue Skies" and Picard helping him along and then strolling down the Enterprise passageway and smiling and it cuts to the Star Trek theme. Seeing the whole cast (minus Crosby) at the wedding scene.
StevenR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 05:39 PM   #27
Caligula
Vice Admiral

The assassination of the Romulan Senate.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 09:43 PM   #28
Alrik
Rear Admiral

The Overlord wrote: View Post
The Credits.

^

Pretty much this.
Alrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 11:31 PM   #29
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

The mention of the Dominion War and thus DS9. Ron Perlman was also very good as Vkruk.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 01:02 AM   #30
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Alrik wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post
The Credits.

^

Pretty much this.
I was planning on being that harsh, but I can't deny that the effects for that assassination scene looked pretty neat. It's a real shame about everything that came afterwards.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote