Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 31 2012, 04:37 AM   #31
AtoZ
Commander

Re: Improve the Third Season

Here's one I forgot.

They should have had at least a couple of 3rd season episodes where Kirk wore his green command tunic. I loved the look of that thing. It stood out. It was all but a memory during season 3.
AtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 11:56 AM   #32
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Anji wrote: View Post
"Turnabout Intruder" did not portray women in an accurate light (to put it kindly) and I almost gave up on Star Trek after watching that one.
Star Trek has certainly presented enough males with psychological problems, women aren't free of suffering from such affections.

How did Janice not "portray women in an accurate light?"

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 12:37 PM   #33
foxhot
Fleet Captain

In the 60s, women who wanted to be men----literally----was on the verge of medical possibility, but it was culturally unthinkable. There was no Chaz Bono. Chastity was a newborn.

The writers put Janice Lester's ambitions at such an intense level, she was willing to give up her identity and live as a man.
All due to Starfleet's un=PC ''No female Captains'' rule. In many ways we are more open minded than TREK'S future gender attitudes.

Spock and Kirk comment that her hatred of her own womanhood misses the point, doesn't it?
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 02:26 PM   #34
7thsealord
Captain

foxhot wrote: View Post
In the 60s, women who wanted to be men----literally----was on the verge of medical possibility, but it was culturally unthinkable. There was no Chaz Bono. Chastity was a newborn.

The writers put Janice Lester's ambitions at such an intense level, she was willing to give up her identity and live as a man.
All due to Starfleet's un=PC ''No female Captains'' rule. In many ways we are more open minded than TREK'S future gender attitudes.

Spock and Kirk comment that her hatred of her own womanhood misses the point, doesn't it?
We only have Janice Lester's own assertion that gender bias kept her from starship command.

This from someone who had already caused the deaths of several people and tried to kill several more. Frankly, I think she was rejected mainly because people at Star Fleet saw that she was crazier than a s###house rat.
7thsealord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 07:50 PM   #35
Harvey
Admiral

Well, there's Lester's dialogue, plus the reality that we never saw a woman in command of a starship (or, after "The Cage," even close to commanding one).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 12:44 AM   #36
7thsealord
Captain

Harvey wrote: View Post
Well, there's Lester's dialogue, plus the reality that we never saw a woman in command of a starship (or, after "The Cage," even close to commanding one).
How many other (UFP) starship commanders, past and present, did we actually see in the course of TOS?

Pike, Decker, Wesley, Tracy, Stone. A few other "maybes".

There were references to "Captain Harris" of USS Excalibur, and to the Captain (unnamed) of USS Intrepid, but no clues as to gender.

I totally agree that there was a bias against showing women in command during TOS's run. Trekverse-wise, the fact that we never see them does not prove their non-existance. There are several ethnic groups (and alien races) that we never saw (or heard of) as being TOS starship captains either, but I presume that they existed.

Last edited by 7thsealord; February 1 2012 at 04:49 AM.
7thsealord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 02:50 AM   #37
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain

^^^ Right on. About the lack of female captains--something about absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. Or something like that.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 08:21 AM   #38
Harvey
Admiral

If you choose to ignore Lester's dialogue, it's true that there isn't any conclusive evidence that women did not command starships in the "world" of Star Trek. All we can say is that on the television show, Star Trek, women were not allowed to be in command.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 11:09 AM   #39
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
absence of evidence is not evidence of absence
But the absence of evidence is the absence of proof.

7thsealord wrote: View Post
I totally agree that there was a bias against showing women in command during TOS's run. Trekverse-wise ...
In Enterprise, there was a Captain Hernadez. But there was a century of separation between that and Turnabout. There was a Female Captain in The Voyager Home (forget her name), but there was a good dozen years separating that and Turnabout. The 1960's writer (writers) of Turnabout could have imagined a future with no female Human Starship Captains because there were no female naval ship's Captains in that present, certainly none in the US Navy. We believe there will be Female Captains because we have them in our society today.

Even today, a women in command of a US Warship is rare.

But what we have are two groups projecting their current societies into the future. In the time period of Turnabout, Human society could have been in a time period where there were in fact no females in Starship commands. It might have been that way for decades. Women could perhaps have obtain the rank of Captain, but only through non-"fleet" commands.

Societies change, it would be silly to assume that what we have today will never alter from it's "current" form.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 10:08 PM   #40
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

More money, better timeslot, GR more hands on, better story editing, more locations. But keep the more quirky ones and keep the elimination of humor eps. Overall I'm fine with S3.
Old February 4 2012, 06:10 AM   #41
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

7thsealord wrote: View Post
Kirk's Klingon exchange student former-roommate from the Academy. ADF eventually used this idea to pad out "Star Trek Log Seven" (TAS adaptations) to a novel-length story.
Whoa, that was originally an episode idea? Fascinating.[/QUOTE]

Yep. ADF reveals this in the new serialised essay that prefaces the recent trade reprint omnibuses of TAS adaptations. I sent a message to ADF hoping he'd still remember the title of his two-parter script, but he said it was gone from his memory - and his old files.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2012, 02:38 AM   #42
foxhot
Fleet Captain

When Alan Dean Foster wrote his final TREK LOG 10, it was also a novel-length version of the sole remaining animated episode with plot additions........notably the multiple body-switcheroo plot used on THE FLINSTONES and GILLIGAN'S ISLAND. Kirk, Spock, Uhura and Sulu suffer a transporter malfunction. Kirk's consciousness goes into Sulu's body (oh. my), Sulu's mind into Spock, Spock's into Uhura (!) and Uhura's into Kirk's (!!!)

McCoy picked a good day not to use the transporter.
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2012, 03:44 AM   #43
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Absence of proof is not proof of absence.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2012, 03:45 AM   #44
FormerLurker
Fleet Captain

scotpens wrote: View Post
Whom Gods Destroy: At the risk of spending more money, I would improve the makeup of the Andorian character.
There’s only one way to improve “Whom Gods Destroy”: MORE YVONNE CRAIG!

The only way to get more Yvonne Craig is to have less costume. Unlikely for 1960's television.
FormerLurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 5 2012, 04:06 AM   #45
scotpens
Vice Admiral

FormerLurker wrote: View Post
Absence of proof is not proof of absence.
Proof of absinthe? Generally between 120 and 160.

FormerLurker wrote: View Post
The only way to get more Yvonne Craig is to have less costume. Unlikely for 1960's television.
You can see damn near all of her in this clip from One Spy Too Many, one of several theatrical feature films re-edited from The Man from UNCLE TV series. (Safe for work — nothing naughty showing.)