Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old January 31 2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Nero's Shadow
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to Nero's Shadow
Your Love For Amok Time !!!

I watched Amok Time the other day and I have to say its one of my all time favourites. There are some really good scene interaction with kirk Spock and Mcoy. One of my favourites is when kirk and Spock talk about the birds and the bees and Spock replies the birds and the bees are not Vulcan.

It also has probably the best fight scene of all three seasons kirk and Spock do a great duel. We also find out a lot more about Spocks race and the Vulcan that was never very detailed in the series.

So that's why I love amok time !!! What's your love for this episode !!
Old January 31 2012, 03:41 PM   #2
Gov Kodos
Admiral

Re: Your Love For Amok Time !!!

I would have loved to have seen Kirk manage to knock out Spock just to see the look on Miss Flawlessly Logical's only 3 possible outcome's face when Kirk has her beamed up with him, Spock, and McCoy.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 03:43 PM   #3
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

I rewatched the fight scene yesterday on Youtube. And I agree, it's a good fight. It's also a good peek into Spock's character. These are the days of "you can't show two people in bed in the movies unless they each have at least one foot on the floor", and he's talking about mating.
jespah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 03:44 PM   #4
sonak
Vice Admiral

classic episode of course with the famous ending.
"Captain?" "Jim!" and Spock's reaction
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

Yup. This is easily one of the best of the series.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 12:22 AM   #6
Captain Tracy
Commander

This might sound like an odd observation, but outside of the dialog, story, and scenery, I though in this episode - more than any other - because of the actors great ability, I really FELT like they were on an extremely arid and hot planet.

Obviously, much credit has to go to the set director and the lighting director, but I feel the actors just tried a bit harder to convince us that this was truly an alien planet - more so than in other 'alien planet' episodes, where they just walk around like 'ho-hum,... look were are on an alien planet,.. see the upside-down plants,... very alien."

So many good things about this episode, too be sure.
Old February 1 2012, 12:44 AM   #7
UnknownSample
Captain

I love it less now. This is the first sign of the injection of more "action" (fight scenes) to improve ratings, after their having almost been cancelled (yes, it happened after season 1 too). I'm not too interested in fight scenes, they take time away from the science fiction, and often are contrived and embarrassing.
Old February 1 2012, 01:59 AM   #8
sonak
Vice Admiral

UnknownSample wrote: View Post
I love it less now. This is the first sign of the injection of more "action" (fight scenes) to improve ratings, after their having almost been cancelled (yes, it happened after season 1 too). I'm not too interested in fight scenes, they take time away from the science fiction, and often are contrived and embarrassing.

eh? I don't think "Amok Time" was unusually action-oriented than many episodes in season 1 were.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 03:39 AM   #9
foxhot
Fleet Captain

Wasn't AMOK TIME the only Season Two shirt-ripping for Captain Kirk? It seemed to happen every other week in Season One. McCoy even ruined a perfectly good sleeve in THE NAKED TIME just to inject a hypo into him. Season Three didn't have any rippings due to the low budgets.

The second year did have more action on the whole, but it was high quality in general (MIRROR, MIRROR.....SHORE LEAVE......FRIDAY'S CHILD...), so I didn't mind much. The stories were still solid.

The one flaw in AMOK TIME is obvious.......T'Pau's failure to inform Kirk it's a fight to the death until AFTER he's accepted the challenge. You call that logical?
foxhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 05:57 AM   #10
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Gov Kodos wrote: View Post
I would have loved to have seen Kirk manage to knock out Spock just to see the look on Miss Flawlessly Logical's only 3 possible outcome's face when Kirk has her beamed up with him, Spock, and McCoy.
I started writing a fanfic about that scenario, except that in keeping with the rules of the ritual, Spock is killed. So Kirk has to figure out how to explain this all to Starfleet, figure out what to do with T'Pring, and he's in mourning for his friend.

Shore Leave was a "ripped shirt" episode not only for Kirk, but also for Yeoman Barrows!

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 06:12 AM   #11
scotpens
Vice Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
classic episode of course with the famous ending.
"Captain?" "Jim!" and Spock's reaction
Spock’s emotional reaction to seeing Kirk alive, and his “logical” rationalization of it, were amusing to watch. But we’d already seen McCoy supposedly die and get doubletalked back to life in “Shore Leave.” Later, Scotty would die and get doubletalked back to life in “The Changleling,” and the same thing would happen to Kirk two more times — in “The Tholian Web” and “The Enterprise Incident.” Cheap writing. These were the stars of the show; we knew they weren’t going to die. (Well, at least not until M*A*S*H.)

jespah wrote: View Post
These are the days of "you can't show two people in bed in the movies unless they each have at least one foot on the floor", and he's talking about mating.
Um, you’re thinking of 1937, not 1967. But TV censorship was a lot stricter in those days. It was a big deal to let Kirk use the expletive “hell” at the end of “City on the Edge of Forever.” And no open-mouthed kisses!

Last edited by scotpens; February 1 2012 at 06:32 AM.
scotpens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1 2012, 02:04 PM   #12
Forbin
Admiral

Ya know, as gorgeous as Arlene Martel is in this, having seen her in other 60s shows (Hogan's Heroes, Outer Limits...) I think the exotic hair and Vulcan makeup actually hid much of her natural beauty. Look at her as the supposedly mousey charwoman in Demon With a Glass Hand, and she's absolutely breathtaking! (Then again, I have a thing for the natural, wild-haired, unmade-up look)
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 10:51 AM   #13
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I love T'Pring's reasoning which on several re-watches I failed to remember so it was like hearing it anew. I'm always impressed with this level of machinations.

It's a very intense episode to watch.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 02:09 PM   #14
Forbin
Admiral

Although I always wondered why a logical Vulcan woman would need to cause this much trouble, and someone's death, to change partners. Surely there were legal options in such an advanced society.

Also wondered why a logical Vulcan woman would wear so much makeup and jewelry. Then again, it WAS her wedding.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2 2012, 02:41 PM   #15
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
UnknownSample wrote: View Post

eh? I don't think "Amok Time" was unusually action-oriented than many episodes in season 1 were.
Yeah.

The first fight scene of the series was in the first pilot, The Cage, when in illusion Pike fought the Kalar on Rigel VII.

The second fight scene of the series was in the second pilot, Where No Man Has Gone Before, when Kirk fought Gary Mitchell with a phaser rifle.

The main premise of Arena is a really long fight scene between Kirk and the Gorn captain.

But let's not forget Kirk v. Khan (Space Seed), Kirk v. Spock (This Side of Paradise), Kirk v. Finnegan (Shore Leave), Kirk v. Finney (Court Martial), Lazarus v. Lazarus (The Alternative Factor), etc.

Seems like there was already the "injection" of action in the first season.

---

Amok Time is an excellent episode.