The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 19 2012, 08:14 PM   #316
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Christopher wrote: View Post
Wow, casting Megalyn Echikunwoke in a show called Beautiful People is definitely living up to the title.
Yup, very pretty. Lots for the girls and boys in the audience to look at in this one.

And the inevitable teen romance, too.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 12:58 AM   #317
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Rewind vs Source Code

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Also reported here in its own snarky thread:

SyFy greenlights Rewind pilot.
more:
the network has announced that they've given a two-hour pilot greenlight to a new action thriller involving time travel called Rewind. The show comes from writer Justin Marks who is about to become famous for writing the screenplay for David Fincher's 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea.
sounds like a fun pilot. Not sure about the series each week.
Rewind is set to begin production in April 2012.
http://www.quietearth.us/articles/20...-Under-the-Sea

and by the way similar to Source Code?:
Cbs "source code" drama
jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
THR reveals that CBS has picked up the rights from ABC to develop Duncan Jones’ “Source Code” into a TV series.
In the small screen version, the premise will be tweaked slightly, and will follow “three former federal agents who are part of a top-secret program [and] they’ll use Source Code technology to jump into the consciousness of people involved in tragic events.”
also see from December 2009.“Murmurs” Sci-Fi time-travel drama by CBS in development
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21 2012, 08:48 PM   #318
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

ABC picks up 666 Park Ave.

Based on Alloy’s book series by Gabriella Pierce, the show is set up at a historic apartment buildings in New York City and centers on a young couple who become its managers. They unwittingly begin to experience supernatural occurrences, which complicate and endanger the lives of everyone in the residence.
Now that one sounds fun! Maybe a tamer American Horror Story, with a whole building as the playground rather than just one mansion?
Old January 22 2012, 06:49 PM   #319
JD
Admiral

Intriguing.
Old January 22 2012, 07:39 PM   #320
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

666 Park Ave

Now that one sounds fun! Maybe a tamer American Horror Story, with a whole building as the playground rather than just one mansion?
It sounds like Ghostbusters as a dramedy rather than an action comedy. Yes a series would have a lot of characters and long arcs. Lots of period flashbacks within the building.
Yes probably ABC wants something like American Horror Story bu without the gore and controversial not-for-broadcast-network topics and horror. More supernatural. I think the idea would suit CBS more but am glad ABC made a development choice on this.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22 2012, 10:06 PM   #321
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

It's definitely not Ghostbusters - I have an earlier summary that may actually be a little spoilery so I'll code it.

This one is more Ghostbusters:

Ghost Ghirls (SyFy) - executive produced by Jack Black, Ghost Ghirls is a comedic take on popular paranormal procedurals like Medium and Ghost Whisperer about two women - Heidi, who has self-proclaimed psychic abilities, and Angelica, who is a tech wiz - who attempt to solve paranormal mysteries each week while trying to prove to themselves and their customers that they are competent ghost hunters.
I don't get the sense that CBS is as big on genre stuff as the other networks are. That show they have about the doctor who sees his dead wife or something is more their style - afterlife-oriented spiritual stuff, which is technically sf/f but very different in its appeal.
Old January 22 2012, 10:28 PM   #322
Christopher
Writer

I don't get the sense that CBS is as big on genre stuff as the other networks are.
They never have been. Of all the broadcast networks, CBS has historically been the one with the lowest ratio of genre to non-genre shows in its lineup. (If by "genre" we mean SF/fantasy/supernatural, that is. They've had plenty of stuff in the mystery genre, courtroom genre, etc.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 10:05 PM   #323
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

...and the other Beauty and the Beast pilot gets a greenlight. This is from ABC, based on the original fairy tale (as opposed to the CW version, which is a remake of the series with Linda Hamilton and Ron Perlman.)

...the drama project is described as is a period/fantastical reimagining of the classic fairy tale set in a mythical, dangerous world wherein a beautiful and tough Princess discovers an unlikely connection with a mysterious beast. It is eyed as a potential companion for Once Upon A Time in the Sunday 9 PM slot. Both Once Upon A Time and Beauty And The Beast feature characters from classic Disney movies, including Snow White, Prince Charming, Belle and the Beast.
I vote for Josh Holloway to play Gaston. He'd also make a good Beast, but it would be a crime against humanity to hide him under all that makeup.
Old January 25 2012, 11:25 PM   #324
RJDementia13
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Well, we can thank the success of Once Upon A Time for adding a little variety to TV. And I say "little" because I guess we'll now be in for a spate of fairy tales.
Old January 26 2012, 08:41 PM   #325
JD
Admiral

I wonder if maybe we'll be able to get that Fables adaptation they started on a few years back. Or would that be deemed to similar to OUAT?
Old January 26 2012, 09:23 PM   #326
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I could see another network (CBS or FOX is all that's left without any fairy tale shows) picking up a series that is very similar to OUAT. Networks like to copy each other rather than be stunningly original. Cable might get into the act - TNT or SyFy for instance.

However, I haven't heard of any fairy tale shows in development other than the ones that have been picked up. Lots of witches and ghosts going begging, tho.
Old January 31 2012, 09:39 PM   #327
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

CW is riffing on Hunger Games! They just greenlighted the pilot for...
The Selection, which until recently had flown under the radar, also hails from WBTV. Based on the forthcoming series of books by Kiera Cass, it is described as an epic romance set 300 years in the future that centers on a poor young woman who is chosen by lottery to participate in a competition to become the next queen of a war-torn nation at a crossroads.
Also going to pilot at the CW:

...romantic time-travel musical Joey Dakota ... based on the successful Israeli half-hour series Danny Hollywood, it centers on a documentary filmmaker who travels back in time to the 1990s, where she meets and falls in love with the rock-star subject of her film. When she unexpectedly returns to present day, she must find her way back to the past to reunite with her love and prevent his untimely death.
The Selection sounds interesting, Joey Dakota a lot less so.

Pilot season is winding down a bit early this year, but there are a few sf/f series still in contention.

A "Jeckyll & Hyde" drama at ABC - I've heard of two in contention, one of which centers on "a female criminal psychologist in San Francisco who is drawn into the mysterious world of a brilliant but inhibited scientist and his volatile alter ego."

The "Jon Favreau/Roberto Orci/Seth Green/Michael Dougherty sci-fi drama" at ABC is Ex-Comm, or used to be called that, basically a government-backed X-Files (sorta spoils the fun, doesn't it? )

Hieroglyph (FOX) and Revolution (NBC) - action-adventure series that may have sf/f elements, details as yet being skimpy.

With the CW picking up several pilots, looks like they've passed on Deadman.

So far, not much news from cable-land...
Old January 31 2012, 09:49 PM   #328
Christopher
Writer

The "Jon Favreau/Roberto Orci/Seth Green/Michael Dougherty sci-fi drama" at ABC is Ex-Comm, or used to be called that, basically a government-backed X-Files (sorta spoils the fun, doesn't it? )
Umm... huh? The X-Files was about a pair of FBI agents. They were government-backed, weren't they? (Although, granted, grudgingly so.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 09:54 PM   #329
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

They were rebels and powerful folks in the big bad gubmint were against them, so they got to be the underdogs. People like stories about underdogs. Here's how Ex-Comm is described:

Ex-Comm (ABC) - follows a newly-elected President and his top secret “Executive Committee” (a.k.a. Ex-Comm), the government’s covert team of America’s most elite minds who investigate and protect our nation from the strangest occurrences and “conspiracy theory truths” out there.
Might work, but it strikes me as taking a familiar story and then deleting a big part of the reason it was so successful.

Then again, maybe the new Prez is a starry-eyed idealist who doesn't realize that aliens already control everything.
Old January 31 2012, 10:57 PM   #330
bullethead
Fleet Captain

They were rebels and powerful folks in the big bad gubmint were against them, so they got to be the underdogs. People like stories about underdogs. Here's how Ex-Comm is described:

Ex-Comm (ABC) - follows a newly-elected President and his top secret “Executive Committee” (a.k.a. Ex-Comm), the government’s covert team of America’s most elite minds who investigate and protect our nation from the strangest occurrences and “conspiracy theory truths” out there.
Might work, but it strikes me as taking a familiar story and then deleting a big part of the reason it was so successful.

Then again, maybe the new Prez is a starry-eyed idealist who doesn't realize that aliens already control everything.
They better not have aliens, otherwise they might give 2K grounds to sue them for ripping off the X-COM franchise.