TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 30 2012, 12:03 PM   #16
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Re: 90s horror

Blair Witch Project
Old January 30 2012, 01:25 PM   #17
Starkers
Admiral

Set Harth wrote: View Post
byron lomax wrote: View Post
I really need to check out Exorcist III - I've heard from more than one source it's underrated, plus it features Brad Dourif in a role similar to his appearance in the X-Files episode "Beyond the Sea".
Saw it in the theater. Gotta love Dourif and George C. Scott.
Yeah Exorcist III is very good, and contains one standout pant wetting moment that still scares me every time I see it. People who've seen the film will probably know the bit I mean
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 01:41 PM   #18
Gov Kodos
Admiral

The Prophecy with Christopher Walken, I like a good religious horror film. The others in the series are OK, but none are as well put together as this one.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 01:42 PM   #19
Pingfah
Admiral

Another vote for Exorcist III, great film.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare is severely underrated as 90s horror goes. Craven's meta-test for Scream, it is superior both to that film, and most of the other Nightmare movies.
Old January 30 2012, 04:38 PM   #20
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Pingfah wrote: View Post
Another vote for Exorcist III, great film.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare is severely underrated as 90s horror goes. Craven's meta-test for Scream, it is superior both to that film, and most of the other Nightmare movies.

I second both motions. Exorcist III, it should be noted, was based on William Peter Blatty's novel Legion and is definitely worth seeing.

And New Nightmare is quite clever. (I actually edited the novelization, which was very first movie tie-in I ever worked on. How time flies!)
Old January 30 2012, 07:41 PM   #21
Tom
Rear Admiral

Hellraiser 3 was campy fun with a pre DS9 Terry Farrel Hellraiser: (4) Bloodline was in 1996 set in the past and in space not as good as the others though.

Speaking of 80's sequels we had Friday the 13th 9 in 1993 and Nightmare on Elm St. 6 in 1991.

Owner - TrekUnited.com - Forum now re-open! click here
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 08:36 PM   #22
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Jacob's Ladder, Flatliners, Stephen King's IT miniseries and parts of Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (The Lover's Vow segment) all scared out of me when I was growing up in the 90s. The opening intro theme from Tales of the Darkside television show was pretty freakin' scary as well.

Honorable mentions for great 90s horror movies were Event Horizons and Stir of Echoes.
Obiwanshinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 10:48 PM   #23
byron lomax
Commander

I also quite like Peter Jackson's The Frighteners (1996) with Michael J. Fox. And I'm pretty sure Seven (1995) isn't considered a horror movie per se (more a "thriller" or "crime drama"), but it's certainly has some horrifying elements to it.
That was a fun movie though I wouldn't consider it horror, even if it has fun, jumpy moments. Seven is probably applicable, as Silence of the Lambs is, though I haven't seen it in years.

Blair Witch Project
Hmmm. This one didn't really work for me - I simply wasn't scared. I do commend its success, though.

The Prophecy with Christopher Walken, I like a good religious horror film. The others in the series are OK, but none are as well put together as this one.
Walken put in a great performance in this, though the ending felt a bit like an anti-climax. Good film overall though.

Honorable mentions for great 90s horror movies were Event Horizons and Stir of Echoes.
Stir of Echoes wasn't too bad. If you liked Jacob's Ladder, I recommend you check out the deleted scenes (all three are on Youtube) if you haven't already.

I know I'll need to check out Exorcist III now....
byron lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 12:29 AM   #24
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Stir of Echoes (which is based on a novel by Richard Matheson) is underrated. Unfortunately, it had the bad luck to come out a few weeks after The Sixth Sense, which basically ate its lunch.
Old January 31 2012, 12:40 AM   #25
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Cube.
Old January 31 2012, 12:47 AM   #26
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Stir of Echoes (which is based on a novel by Richard Matheson) is underrated. Unfortunately, it had the bad luck to come out a few weeks after The Sixth Sense, which basically ate its lunch.
I love this movie... but was afraid to admit it.
Old January 31 2012, 01:19 AM   #27
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Speaking of 80's sequels we had Friday the 13th 9 in 1993 and Nightmare on Elm St. 6 in 1991.
Speaking as a fan of both Freddy and Jason, I like to pretend that neither of those 90's films exist. Nightmare on Elm Street 5 from 1989 also doesn't exist. Freddy's Dead was bad, but NoES 5 is boring, something a horror film should never be... especially when coming from an established, heavily popular franchise.

Wes Craven's New Nightmare is awesome, however.
Caligula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 01:57 AM   #28
Spaceman Spiff
Intrepid Explorer

I like Freddy and Jason, too, though I'll admit most of their movies aren't very good. It's mostly nostalgic.

I ignore Jason Goes to Hell. It's a really dumb movie (even for a Friday the 13th flick), and the Jason design has to be one of the worst in the series.

Edit: Heh. Just realized I still have my Jason avatar from two Fridays ago.
Old January 31 2012, 02:10 AM   #29
byron lomax
Commander

Cube.
An excellent movie, and I considered including it, but I think it's more distinctly sci-fi than horror. The only thing I didn't really buy was one character's progression to being a threat to the others.

Sixth Sense is a good film, but it's the one I like least on my original list. Personally, I thought The Others (which came out a few years later) was better and a somewhat more "believable" take on a similar idea.
byron lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 11:57 AM   #30
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

byron lomax wrote: View Post
Cube.
An excellent movie, and I considered including it, but I think it's more distinctly sci-fi than horror.
FWIW, http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/film/224/review classifies Cube as "sci-fi/horror" - a classification I agree with. YMMV.