The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old January 30 2012, 02:59 PM   #16
Tosk
Rear Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG Next Level Bluray watch and review thread

What I'm really dying to know is, did they fix the edit during Encounter at Farpoint during Riker and Data's Holodeck talk? You know the one, when they walk behind a tree and Production have clearly spliced two different takes together, but the join is painfully obvious. I'm really hoping they've melded them together better in TNGR.

Hint hint, Dac. Seeing as you've watched it, can you put me out of my misery on this one?

Last edited by Tosk; January 30 2012 at 03:09 PM.
Tosk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 03:02 PM   #17
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

I got my copy this morning.

And wow. You thought those frames looked good? In motion there really is a stark contrast between TNG I've watched since I was a kid, to the TNG in front of me now. I love the new title sequences. Encounter at Farpoint, well, its still Encounter at Farpoint. It looks fantastic, but that doesn't make up for the clunkiness of the dialog and plot. But believe me, it does look stunning. I think a shot where the E-D rejoins the saucer and the stardrive may be another CG replacement, however I could be mistaken. The CG shot when its separating though is indistinguishable from the model shots that surround it. If this is the quality of CG were gonna get, its gorgeous.

I also watched Sins of the Father. The opening shot is likely a matte painting, because there is zero movement. The stars move, but the ships (both the D and BOP) remain dead still. It looks a little odd If I'm honest, but hey, its just the one shot. The rest of the episode looks crisp and detailed, and, well, while Sins of the Father isn't my favourate TNG episode, its a solid "average" ep in my opinion, and the HD treatment gives it a bit of extra shine to make it really engrossing.

I haven't watched The Inner Light yet, but what I have seen is fantastic. Add in the fact that here in the UK at least they included a £5 mail in rebate which essentially gives you this sample disc for free (well, £1.99) and it's a real sweet deal indeed. I can't wait for the season 1 blu rays, which according to the flyer are coming in the summer, not the fall.

Guess we don't have that long to wait then.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 04:01 PM   #18
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Tosk wrote: View Post
What I'm really dying to know is, did they fix the edit during Encounter at Farpoint during Riker and Data's Holodeck talk? You know the one, when they walk behind a tree and Production have clearly spliced two different takes together, but the join is painfully obvious. I'm really hoping they've melded them together better in TNGR.

Hint hint, Dac. Seeing as you've watched it, can you put me out of my misery on this one?
I should let Dac answer that one but I didn't notice any improvement in the editing. I did notice that it's now quite obviously Brent Spiner's stunt double who leaps down to Wesley's rescue when he falls in the stream.
Old January 30 2012, 04:07 PM   #19
22 Stars
Commodore

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
Tosk wrote: View Post

I should let Dac answer that one but I didn't notice any improvement in the editing. I did notice that it's now quite obviously Brent Spiner's stunt double who leaps down to Wesley's rescue when he falls in the stream.
Well that was always painfully obvious i thought, the guy weighs like 20 pounds less than Brent did even back then!
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 05:47 PM   #20
Dac
Commodore

Can't say I noticed it. I moved my PS3 into the other room and the TV is currently in use, so I'll have to wait a lil while before I watch it again. This reminds me that I need to buy a blu ray drive for my PC. :P
Old January 30 2012, 06:43 PM   #21
davejames
Vice Admiral

Dac wrote: View Post
I also watched Sins of the Father. The opening shot is likely a matte painting, because there is zero movement. The stars move, but the ships (both the D and BOP) remain dead still. It looks a little odd If I'm honest, but hey, its just the one shot. The rest of the episode looks crisp and detailed, and, well, while Sins of the Father isn't my favourate TNG episode, its a solid "average" ep in my opinion, and the HD treatment gives it a bit of extra shine to make it really engrossing.
Interesting. I guess Okuda was right after all about that being a matte painting and not a new CG model.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 07:45 PM   #22
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

davejames wrote: View Post
Dac wrote: View Post
Interesting. I guess Okuda was right after all about that being a matte painting and not a new CG model.

I'm fairly certain the ships we're seeing in that shot are still 3D models (in the case of the Enterprise, the same one we've seen other shots of) that were rendered together as a still image, rather than animation and possibly manipulated further by a 2D artist... hence the term "matte painting."

From Wikipedia:

Paint has now been superseded by digital images created using photo references, 3-D models, and drawing tablets.
Old January 30 2012, 08:18 PM   #23
Dac
Commodore

Well, yeah. I don't think it was painted, I mean it looked like a 2D shot.
Old January 30 2012, 11:30 PM   #24
Dac
Commodore

I just watched The Inner Light, and that opening shot did not look nice to me. Sure, its vaguely close, but the flight path is wrong (well, wrong is relative, its more to the right than it was) and it looks really CG at the end of it. They've also done away with the the Katan glow when the sun is slowly going nova. Overall the rest of the episode looks great, and in comparison to Sins of the Father the stuff on the bridge looks really vibrant and has deep blacks. SOTF seemed a tad washed out I felt.
Old January 31 2012, 12:09 AM   #25
davejames
Vice Admiral

22 Stars wrote: View Post
Well that was always painfully obvious i thought, the guy weighs like 20 pounds less than Brent did even back then!
There were a LOT of really obvious stunt doubles in the first season (like the fake Riker fighting the Admiral in Too Short a Season).

Thankfully later on they seemed to rely more on the actors, or just got better at hiding it.
Old January 31 2012, 12:11 AM   #26
Mark 2000
Commander

Send a message via AIM to Mark 2000

That's what I expected. The SOTF shot is a heavily edited, static CG render at best and the IL shot just looks bad. So, do we still want the 4 foot model erased and replaced? I'm guessing that answer is going to be more and more of a no as people get to see the footage.
Old January 31 2012, 12:17 AM   #27
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

I'd guess the 4-Foot model can still be replaced well enough with CGI.
Old January 31 2012, 12:21 AM   #28
davejames
Vice Admiral

Well didn't someone say that the team working on the season sets is different from the Next Level team? They might be making some decisions now that are different from what they did on these 3 eps.
Old January 31 2012, 12:28 AM   #29
GNDN
Commodore

Haven't seen it in motion, but the IL CG shot looked pretty poor in the still. Sadly this does not surprise me, and hopefully it will be re-worked before the Season Sets are released.

I'll be happy to see the 4-footer rendered in HD.
Old January 31 2012, 07:07 PM   #30
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Only have seen the previews so far...nearly fell over...

RAMA