RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,874
Posts: 5,329,002
Members: 24,556
Currently online: 552
Newest member: EvyR55

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 30 2012, 04:34 PM   #31
Sindatur
Rear Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Why I've Come To Like "Angel" Better than "Buffy"

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
I like Angel better as well.

What's the "tS" for in AtS? The show is simply called Angel?
"Angel the Series", kind of like 'Star Trek' now means the franchise and TOS the original show. It's just to help differentiate.
Ah, OK, I kept having "Angel the Slayer" pop into my head, and knew that was ridiculous.

Thanks
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 05:44 PM   #32
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Why I've Come To Like "Angel" Better than "Buffy"

Angel never really got off the ground or found a direction - it was hamstrung by Boreanaz's very clear limits.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 06:06 PM   #33
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Why I've Come To Like "Angel" Better than "Buffy"

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Angel never really got off the ground or found a direction - it was hamstrung by Boreanaz's very clear limits.
Wow. I thought Angel got off the ground with the very first episode, and the story and character arcs were absolutely fantastic. Boreanaz isn't the best actor in the world, I agree, but I think he played the part great.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 07:38 PM   #34
saturn5
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Why I've Come To Like "Angel" Better than "Buffy"

sonak wrote: View Post
stonester1 wrote: View Post
saturn5 wrote: View Post

Will and Xander are the greatest! (Xander IS Joss and Willow is his favourite character).
With you on this. I love both shows dearly, though Angel a bit more. But interestingly, I do have more warm fuzzies in general about the characters of Buffy. Those two being two of the warmest and fuzziest.

The "Xander is supposed to be a loser in high school even though nobody who looks like Nicholas Brendon would be" thing always amused me. Joss even addressed it in a commentary track, basically saying "that's television."
Yeah, if you've ever watched the unaired pilot they had this girl as Willow;


and they replaced her with this girl


The 11th sexiest woman in the world according to FHM readers. It is a cliche, one reason I'm always amused by the thought of a girl who looks like Buffy having to work in fast food in season 6. The Last Action Hero has a great gag based on this (about the only one in the film)
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 08:24 PM   #35
Ethros
Vice Admiral
 
Ethros's Avatar
 
Location: 1123 6536 5321
Re: Why I've Come To Like "Angel" Better than "Buffy"

That's a bit of a strange comment, in that not every single attractive girl will become a supermodel or starlet just for being hot. You see hot girls all the time and think "nice, she's hot" and then forget it. Yet if she suddenly became the star of a TV show, or was in a big movie, or became a pop star, she'd easily be appearing in these "Sexiest women on the planet" polls. Look at the most the girls in something like the FHM Top 100, most of them aren't that special.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 10:55 PM   #36
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: Why I've Come To Like "Angel" Better than "Buffy"

saturn5 wrote: View Post
sonak wrote: View Post
stonester1 wrote: View Post

With you on this. I love both shows dearly, though Angel a bit more. But interestingly, I do have more warm fuzzies in general about the characters of Buffy. Those two being two of the warmest and fuzziest.

The "Xander is supposed to be a loser in high school even though nobody who looks like Nicholas Brendon would be" thing always amused me. Joss even addressed it in a commentary track, basically saying "that's television."
Yeah, if you've ever watched the unaired pilot they had this girl as Willow;


and they replaced her with this girl


The 11th sexiest woman in the world according to FHM readers. It is a cliche, one reason I'm always amused by the thought of a girl who looks like Buffy having to work in fast food in season 6. The Last Action Hero has a great gag based on this (about the only one in the film)

I don't think the issue was so much her job, but how supposedly "socially awkward" she was supposed to be, and her "trouble" finding boyfriends.

Yeah, they tried to explain it away by having it be about her being a juvenile delinquent and stuff, but still-that's why premises like "the freshman" just made me laugh-a woman who looks like Sarah Michelle Gellar is going to have an awkward time in college?

riiiiiight.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 02:49 AM   #37
stonester1
Rear Admiral
 
stonester1's Avatar
 
Re: Why I've Come To Like "Angel" Better than "Buffy"

Ethros wrote: View Post
That's a bit of a strange comment, in that not every single attractive girl will become a supermodel or starlet just for being hot. You see hot girls all the time and think "nice, she's hot" and then forget it. Yet if she suddenly became the star of a TV show, or was in a big movie, or became a pop star, she'd easily be appearing in these "Sexiest women on the planet" polls. Look at the most the girls in something like the FHM Top 100, most of them aren't that special.
Exactly. Out in the real world, hot girls are very common. They even work behind fast food counters. The difference between them and those on TV and FHM...is that they aren't on TV or in FHM.
__________________
"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled, the humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in them?' " - H. G. Wells
stonester1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 03:19 AM   #38
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Why I've Come To Like "Angel" Better than "Buffy"

If Buffy was really concerned with money, she could have at least tried to get a bartending job at The Bronze. Hot female bartenders make bank, though I suppose the late hours would probably cut into her normal slaying routine.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 03:24 AM   #39
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: Why I've Come To Like "Angel" Better than "Buffy"

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Angel never really got off the ground or found a direction - it was hamstrung by Boreanaz's very clear limits.
Wow. I thought Angel got off the ground with the very first episode, and the story and character arcs were absolutely fantastic. Boreanaz isn't the best actor in the world, I agree, but I think he played the part great.
Meh. Fred was cute and Lorne was funny. I liked it a little better in the last year when Marsters was on.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 04:28 AM   #40
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Why I've Come To Like "Angel" Better than "Buffy"

Wesley and Cordelia are my favorite Buffyverse characters, and I love how they evolved in "Angel."
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 04:46 AM   #41
stonester1
Rear Admiral
 
stonester1's Avatar
 
Re: Why I've Come To Like "Angel" Better than "Buffy"

Wesley's evolution is an amazing one to watch.
__________________
"New and stirring things are belittled because if they are not belittled, the humiliating question arises, 'Why then are you not taking part in them?' " - H. G. Wells
stonester1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 07:09 AM   #42
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain
 
ReadyAndWilling's Avatar
 
Re: Why I've Come To Like "Angel" Better than "Buffy"

saturn5 wrote: View Post
I would say Buffy is the better show not least because it simply has more eps.
is this serious? so i guess voyager is better than DS9 and TOS because it has more eps.
__________________
Star Trek: 1987-2002

An obsessive Science-Fiction Geek at heart with a touch of Muscle Nerd on top.
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 07:29 AM   #43
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain
 
ReadyAndWilling's Avatar
 
Re: Why I've Come To Like "Angel" Better than "Buffy"

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
If Buffy was really concerned with money, she could have at least tried to get a bartending job at The Bronze. Hot female bartenders make bank, though I suppose the late hours would probably cut into her normal slaying routine.
i find this a highly sexist remark. so i guess all good looking women should just become strippers right?

and people wonder why the geek culture is seen as such an outcast.
__________________
Star Trek: 1987-2002

An obsessive Science-Fiction Geek at heart with a touch of Muscle Nerd on top.
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 07:55 AM   #44
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral
 
Kelthaz's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Re: Why I've Come To Like "Angel" Better than "Buffy"

I didn't realize that bartenders also double as strippers. Rojohen, is there something you're not telling us?
__________________
"Who are you?! And how did you get in here?!"

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 09:19 AM   #45
saturn5
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Why I've Come To Like "Angel" Better than "Buffy"

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Wesley and Cordelia are my favorite Buffyverse characters, and I love how they evolved in "Angel."
Yes it was amazing
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
angel, buffy

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:29 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.