Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old January 30 2012, 04:34 PM   #31
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Re: Why I've Come To Like "Angel" Better than "Buffy"

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
I like Angel better as well.

What's the "tS" for in AtS? The show is simply called Angel?
"Angel the Series", kind of like 'Star Trek' now means the franchise and TOS the original show. It's just to help differentiate.
Ah, OK, I kept having "Angel the Slayer" pop into my head, and knew that was ridiculous.

Thanks

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 05:44 PM   #32
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Angel never really got off the ground or found a direction - it was hamstrung by Boreanaz's very clear limits.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 06:06 PM   #33
RoJoHen
Awesome

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Angel never really got off the ground or found a direction - it was hamstrung by Boreanaz's very clear limits.
Wow. I thought Angel got off the ground with the very first episode, and the story and character arcs were absolutely fantastic. Boreanaz isn't the best actor in the world, I agree, but I think he played the part great.
Old January 30 2012, 07:38 PM   #34
saturn5
Fleet Captain

sonak wrote: View Post
stonester1 wrote: View Post
saturn5 wrote: View Post

Will and Xander are the greatest! (Xander IS Joss and Willow is his favourite character).
With you on this. I love both shows dearly, though Angel a bit more. But interestingly, I do have more warm fuzzies in general about the characters of Buffy. Those two being two of the warmest and fuzziest.

The "Xander is supposed to be a loser in high school even though nobody who looks like Nicholas Brendon would be" thing always amused me. Joss even addressed it in a commentary track, basically saying "that's television."
Yeah, if you've ever watched the unaired pilot they had this girl as Willow;

and they replaced her with this girl

The 11th sexiest woman in the world according to FHM readers. It is a cliche, one reason I'm always amused by the thought of a girl who looks like Buffy having to work in fast food in season 6. The Last Action Hero has a great gag based on this (about the only one in the film)
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 08:24 PM   #35
Ethros
Vice Admiral

That's a bit of a strange comment, in that not every single attractive girl will become a supermodel or starlet just for being hot. You see hot girls all the time and think "nice, she's hot" and then forget it. Yet if she suddenly became the star of a TV show, or was in a big movie, or became a pop star, she'd easily be appearing in these "Sexiest women on the planet" polls. Look at the most the girls in something like the FHM Top 100, most of them aren't that special.
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30 2012, 10:55 PM   #36
sonak
Vice Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
stonester1 wrote: View Post

With you on this. I love both shows dearly, though Angel a bit more. But interestingly, I do have more warm fuzzies in general about the characters of Buffy. Those two being two of the warmest and fuzziest.

The "Xander is supposed to be a loser in high school even though nobody who looks like Nicholas Brendon would be" thing always amused me. Joss even addressed it in a commentary track, basically saying "that's television."
Yeah, if you've ever watched the unaired pilot they had this girl as Willow;

and they replaced her with this girl

The 11th sexiest woman in the world according to FHM readers. It is a cliche, one reason I'm always amused by the thought of a girl who looks like Buffy having to work in fast food in season 6. The Last Action Hero has a great gag based on this (about the only one in the film)

I don't think the issue was so much her job, but how supposedly "socially awkward" she was supposed to be, and her "trouble" finding boyfriends.

Yeah, they tried to explain it away by having it be about her being a juvenile delinquent and stuff, but still-that's why premises like "the freshman" just made me laugh-a woman who looks like Sarah Michelle Gellar is going to have an awkward time in college?

riiiiiight.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 02:49 AM   #37
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
That's a bit of a strange comment, in that not every single attractive girl will become a supermodel or starlet just for being hot. You see hot girls all the time and think "nice, she's hot" and then forget it. Yet if she suddenly became the star of a TV show, or was in a big movie, or became a pop star, she'd easily be appearing in these "Sexiest women on the planet" polls. Look at the most the girls in something like the FHM Top 100, most of them aren't that special.
Exactly. Out in the real world, hot girls are very common. They even work behind fast food counters. The difference between them and those on TV and FHM...is that they aren't on TV or in FHM.
Old January 31 2012, 03:19 AM   #38
RoJoHen
Awesome

If Buffy was really concerned with money, she could have at least tried to get a bartending job at The Bronze. Hot female bartenders make bank, though I suppose the late hours would probably cut into her normal slaying routine.
Old January 31 2012, 03:24 AM   #39
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
Wow. I thought Angel got off the ground with the very first episode, and the story and character arcs were absolutely fantastic. Boreanaz isn't the best actor in the world, I agree, but I think he played the part great.
Meh. Fred was cute and Lorne was funny. I liked it a little better in the last year when Marsters was on.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 04:28 AM   #40
RoJoHen
Awesome

Wesley and Cordelia are my favorite Buffyverse characters, and I love how they evolved in "Angel."
Old January 31 2012, 04:46 AM   #41
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Wesley's evolution is an amazing one to watch.
Old January 31 2012, 07:09 AM   #42
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

I would say Buffy is the better show not least because it simply has more eps.
is this serious? so i guess voyager is better than DS9 and TOS because it has more eps.

An obsessive Science-Fiction Geek at heart with a touch of Muscle Nerd on top.
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 07:29 AM   #43
ReadyAndWilling
Fleet Captain

If Buffy was really concerned with money, she could have at least tried to get a bartending job at The Bronze. Hot female bartenders make bank, though I suppose the late hours would probably cut into her normal slaying routine.
i find this a highly sexist remark. so i guess all good looking women should just become strippers right?

and people wonder why the geek culture is seen as such an outcast.

An obsessive Science-Fiction Geek at heart with a touch of Muscle Nerd on top.
ReadyAndWilling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 07:55 AM   #44
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I didn't realize that bartenders also double as strippers. Rojohen, is there something you're not telling us?

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31 2012, 09:19 AM   #45
saturn5
Fleet Captain

Wesley and Cordelia are my favorite Buffyverse characters, and I love how they evolved in "Angel."
Yes it was amazing
saturn5 is offline   Reply With Quote