Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 24 2012, 10:55 PM   #31
MacLeod
Admiral

Re: 2012 Academy Award Nominations

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
23skidoo wrote: View Post
Which also means 3-D vs. Silent Movies. That alone makes this worth following.
Hugo is itself a big tribute to silent films (the work of Georges Melies) and technical innovations (the ones Melies did/3D).
23skidoo wrote: View Post
Even bigger surprise is TinTin got snubbed despite winning some other awards. Another nail in the coffin for photo-real CG in movies?
The Academy's animation branch has always been clear that they don't think motion-capture is animation.
Sounds a bit like the attitude they had towards films like TRON when it first came out as CGI wasn't real special effects.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 12:39 AM   #32
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

I thought this would be a weak years for Best Picture and this list of nominees proves it. Is anyone going to remember these films in a few years?

I like some of the actors who were nominated though I actually find myself most pleased with The Muppets being nominated for Original Song. I hope they can get the original two actors back to perform it live.

I know Warner Brothers wanted Harry Potter to be nominated for Best Picture. Maybe if they had done a better job adapting that book, they would have been nominated.

So Jonah Hill is an Oscar nominee...meanwhile, Michael Cera continues to play the same character in every movie of his increasingly irrelevent career.

Last edited by DarthPipes; January 25 2012 at 03:01 AM.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 01:02 AM   #33
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
I thought this would be a weak years for Best Picture and this list of nominees proves it. Is anyone going to remember these films in a few years?
Some yes, most no.

So Jonah Hill is an Oscar winner...meanwhile, Michael Cera continues to play the same character in every movie of his increasingly irrelevent career.
Just a nominee.
Old January 25 2012, 02:03 AM   #34
CaptainCanada
Admiral

This is hard to judge in advance, but I think there are four that will be remembered. The Tree of Life, Hugo and The Descendants are well-regarded films by significant auteurs whose bodies of work will always be examined. The Artist is (at present) by a less known director, but assuming it wins as it currently looks to, being the Best Picture will keep it in the conversation (besides which, it has some distinguishing features apart from that).

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 02:19 AM   #35
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

This type of thinking says more about the viewer than the actual quality of the movies being made.

With that said, I'm impressed with the majority of the selections. And am rooting for "The Artist", if not for the win, then at least for more awareness so people will go out and (hopefully!) enjoy the movie.
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 02:26 AM   #36
Biffette
Captain

Only two nominations for original song? Weak sauce.
Biffette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 02:41 AM   #37
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

M'rk, son of Mogh wrote: View Post
This type of thinking says more about the viewer than the actual quality of the movies being made.
I wish these kinds of movies were more widely availiable to the viewer than most of the crap that's out. Hollywood says we love 3D, yet there are so many movies returning just to get converted to 3D while movies like the ones nominated are going to small houses and aren't being brought to a wider audience. Hell, movies like The Artist is just now starting to get into theaters because of the Award Push. For the last several years I've hated the whole thing of "Limited Release" because it's pretty much saying we're all too stupid for the "wide release".
Old January 25 2012, 03:52 AM   #38
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Kira's Mom wrote: View Post
I thought Tree of Life was supposed to have sucked?
Not even remotely. Loved it.

Caligula wrote: View Post
*Scans the list, jaw drops* Jonah Hill got nominated for Moneyball? Was he really that good in it (I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'm honestly asking)?
He was good enough that I personally think he should give up comedy, and develop his dramatic skills instead. I've never been able to stand him in a comedy, but thought he did a pretty good job in Moneyball.

Emh wrote: View Post
No love for Andy Serkis.
That fight is going to take time, unfortunately.

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
For the last several years I've hated the whole thing of "Limited Release" because it's pretty much saying we're all too stupid for the "wide release".
Why would a studio spend a large amount of money on a wide release for a film they don't think will play to large audiences around the country? That'd be incredibly bad decision-making.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 03:56 AM   #39
24thcenstfan
Commander

I've only seen "The Help", but I would be surprised if it won an Oscar. It was good, but not that good. The movie had a good mixture of humor and character driven story, it was well acted by many. Despite the seriousness of some of the content, I still thought it lacked something on the dramatic end. That special something that shoots a movie up to the top level.
Old January 25 2012, 03:47 PM   #40
Jax
Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
BEST PICTURE
The Artist (2011)
The Descendants (2011)
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (2011)
The Help (2011)
Hugo (2011/II)
Midnight in Paris (2011)
Moneyball (2011)
The Tree of Life (2011)
War Horse (2011)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy? NOT NOMINATED WTF

No movies to get the audiences interested so I bet ratings will be down.

Emh wrote: View Post
No love for Andy Serkis.
Academy snobbery what a shocker.
Old January 25 2012, 04:04 PM   #41
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Michael Cera continues to play the same character in every movie of his increasingly irrelevent career.
Didn't stop Jack Nicholson winning 3 Oscars!
Old January 25 2012, 04:30 PM   #42
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

from the article

“The Living Proof” from The Help (Mary J. Blidge, Thomas Newman, Damon Thomas, Harvey Mason Jr.)
“Life’s A Happy Song” from The Muppets (Bret McKenzie)
“Love Builds A Garden” and “Hello Hello” from Gnomeo And Juliet (Elton John, Bernie Taupin)
“Pictures In My Head” from The Muppets (Jeannie Lurie, Aris Archontis, Chen Neeman)
“Lay You Head Down” from Albert Nobbs (Glenn Close, Brian Byrne sung by Sinead O’Connor)
(Madonna’s song from W.E. wasn’t eligible…)

The Academy Music Branch’s weird voting system, where an 8.5 is required for at least one song to be nominated and anywhere from 2 to 5 can make the cut, showed just how endangered this category is with a record low of only two nominations in what was a pretty good year for movie songs. Another head-scratcher.
i don't get it. what two songs are actually nominated? They list a handful of songs here but only two were nominated. am I missing something?
Old January 25 2012, 04:40 PM   #43
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

Though I haven't seen Tree of Life, I believe that Ghost Protocol should get the visual effects win, from the films that I have seen. one thing; X-Men First Class should not get the win at all. I was surprised how bad or unfinished the effects were in that film. When the ship or sub or whatever crashes into the island, the palm trees looked like video game renditions. The girl flying around looked positively hokey and silly as well.
Old January 25 2012, 04:56 PM   #44
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I confess I'm rooting for Real Steel just because of the Richard Matheson connection. And because I want to put "Basis for the Oscar-Winning Film" on the book cover!

(Trivia: What Dreams May Come, also based on Matheson, actually won the Oscar for Visual Effects a few years back. Maybe we can go two for two?)
Old January 25 2012, 05:51 PM   #45
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I've seen

Moneyball and Midnight in Paris. Working on the rest.