Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 24 2012, 07:09 PM   #16
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile
Re: 2012 Academy Award Nominations

I've seen The Help, Moneyball, Hugo and hopefully seeing The Artist this week.

Moneyball was good but I wouldn't say it was amazing. I absolutely adored Hugo and think it would be a worthy winner.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 07:10 PM   #17
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Caligula wrote: View Post
*Scans the list, jaw drops* Jonah Hill got nominated for Moneyball? Was he really that good in it (I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'm honestly asking)?
He was fine. I think he was lucky to be in a really good movie. He's not doing his typical schtick, so maybe that's why. But, oscar worthy? No. Again, he was lucky to be in a really good movie.

It's like the opposite of Streep. She's really good in Iron Lady, which is, at best, a mediocre movie.
Old January 24 2012, 07:50 PM   #18
Aragorn
Admiral

Caligula wrote: View Post
*Scans the list, jaw drops* Jonah Hill got nominated for Moneyball? Was he really that good in it (I haven't seen the movie yet, so I'm honestly asking)?
Well that certainly changes the marketing campaign for an upcoming movie:

Four-time Teen Choice Award winner Channing Tatum

Oscar-nominee Jonah Hill

21 Jump Street
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 08:45 PM   #19
CaptainCanada
Admiral

23skidoo wrote: View Post
Which also means 3-D vs. Silent Movies. That alone makes this worth following.
Hugo is itself a big tribute to silent films (the work of Georges Melies) and technical innovations (the ones Melies did/3D).
Disruptor wrote: View Post
No CARS 2 for best animated film? Pixar loses this year.
Even bigger surprise is TinTin got snubbed despite winning some other awards. Another nail in the coffin for photo-real CG in movies?
The Academy's animation branch has always been clear that they don't think motion-capture is animation.
CNN just listed Harry Potter as one of the more notable snubs. But unfortunately it was predicted that splitting DH into two might have sacrificed as potential Best Picture nomination since part 2 was just that - it wasn't a complete movie. Granted, Return of the King was Part 3 of a trilogy too. But at the same time it was also a standalone of sorts. DH2 literally could not be watched nor understood without Part 1.
The comparison to LOTR never made sense, because those movies got nominated all the way through. The HP films never went higher than a nomination for Best Cinematography.
Kira's Mom wrote: View Post
I thought Tree of Life was supposed to have sucked?
Er, no, it's arguably the most critically acclaimed film of the year (I didn't think it was nearly that good, but it's certainly not thought to be bad).
Ditto with Extremely Loud.
That's an extremely divisive movie; people either love it or hate it, and a lot of people hated it.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 08:59 PM   #20
Harvey
Admiral

Moneyball was competent, but I don't understand why it has been getting so much praise. I feel the same about the performances -- good, but not worthy of being singled out.

I'm surprised that The Descendants is on here, too. It was okay, but not nearly as good as Payne's previous effort, Sideways.

The absence of We Need To Talk About Kevin on this list is shameful, but at least The Tree of Life was recognized (though I doubt something so experimental will win).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 09:01 PM   #21
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
And I have seen exactly none of those.
Me neither, I see very little until the DVD releases. Going to theaters costs too damn much anymore. Got Tree of Life on DVD, maybe I'll watch it tonight, or as much of it as I can stand. I'm afraid it's going to be boring.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 09:06 PM   #22
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Harvey wrote: View Post
I'm surprised that The Descendants is on here, too.
It was one of the year's most acclaimed films, and won a ton of critics' awards (and Clooney just took the Golden Globe).

I've seen seven of the nine nominees at present, and will see the other two. Provisionally I'd rank them:

1. Hugo
2. Moneyball
3. The Tree of Life
4. Midnight in Paris
5. The Help
6. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
7. War Horse

Without having seen the final two, I will say that this year's nominees don't feel nearly as good as last year's. The A-line of last year (The King's Speech, The Social Network, Toy Story 3, True Grit, The Fighter) would probably all place ahead of Hugo.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 09:24 PM   #23
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Here's an article about the snubs.

Funny, I would have thought J Edgar would get more attention. That one screams "Oscar bait." Is it lots worse than I've heard?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 09:29 PM   #24
Harvey
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Funny, I would have thought J Edgar would get more attention. That one screams "Oscar bait." Is it lots worse than I've heard?
Didn't see it. The reviews were mixed to bad.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 09:49 PM   #25
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Disruptor wrote: View Post
No CARS 2 for best animated film? Pixar loses this year.
Even bigger surprise is TinTin got snubbed despite winning some other awards. Another nail in the coffin for photo-real CG in movies?
Let's not overstate thing, shall we? One movie failed to land an Oscar nomination. And this is a genre which is hardly reliant on awards and nominations to survive. Hardly nail in coffin times.
Old January 24 2012, 09:57 PM   #26
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

^Couldn't you say that about anything related to movies, thus making this entire process and awards show irrelevant?
Old January 24 2012, 09:58 PM   #27
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Hugo is itself a big tribute to silent films (the work of Georges Melies) and technical innovations (the ones Melies did/3D).
I think it's a pretty poor tribute to silent films. Especially next to The Artist. (Yeah, I think Hugo is tremendously overrated.)

Here's an article about the snubs.

J. Edgar isn't a very good movie. It's a pretty bland by the numbers bio flick. Nothing particularly interesting or illuminating. And Leo is a big meh in the film.
Old January 24 2012, 10:11 PM   #28
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

I'm only a bit upset that Diablo Cody didn't get nominated for Original Screenplay for Young Adult. As well as that Patton Oswald didn't get nominated for Best Supporting Actor. I thought his performance was better then most of the nominees this year.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 10:43 PM   #29
nvek86
Commander

The thing I'm most surprised about is that nine films got nominated. I'd thought with the new rules there'd be seven at most.
Old January 24 2012, 10:54 PM   #30
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

No love for Andy Serkis.

I'm not surprised Cars 2 wasn't nominated because it was easily Pixar's weakest film. I believe this is the first year since the category's creation where Pixar wasn't nominated in a year that they released a film.

However, I am surprised Tintin (only one capitalized T!) didn't get nominated. I'm not one for stop-motion capture animation but I thought Spielberg did a pretty good job here, although granted I'm biased considering the content of the film.

I'm also very disappointed that Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross were not nominated for The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo score as well as Karen O's excellent cover of "Immigrant Song." I lost count the number of times I listened to the score before I even saw the film.

Once again, I find myself regretting watching The Ides of March instead of Hugo when I had the chance...

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
J. Edgar isn't a very good movie. It's a pretty bland by the numbers bio flick. Nothing particularly interesting or illuminating. And Leo is a big meh in the film.
Which is disappointing considering I'm a huge fan of Eastwood's directing efforts. I haven't seen J. Edgar but all of the reviews I've read don't have me all that excited.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote