RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 137,886
Posts: 5,329,829
Members: 24,557
Currently online: 508
Newest member: Mgroup Video

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Inquisition
By: Michelle on Jul 12

Cubify Star Trek 3DMe Mini Figurines
By: T'Bonz on Jul 11

Latest Official Starships Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Jul 10

Seven of Nine Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

Pegg The Prankster
By: T'Bonz on Jul 9

More Trek Stars Join Unbelievable!!!!!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 22 2012, 11:09 PM   #106
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

I figured they'd probably add some new music. But if they're cutting it down a lot (and they'll have to), there's plenty of room for new music to cover the way the story has been changed.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 05:53 AM   #107
gblews
Rear Admiral
 
gblews's Avatar
 
Location: So. Cal.
View gblews's Twitter Profile
Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I just rewatched the Lea Salonga On My Own clip, and while I don't know if Taylor could hit the notes that the song reaches when sung live on stage, the song will likely be staged/arranged slightly differently because of the differences between film and live on-stage theater, so even if it turns out that Taylor can't hit precisely the same notes one would in a live theatrical production of Les Mis, I think she'll still be able to perform the song well and without any difficulties.
I don't see how her singing the song in a movie would prevent Taylor from hitting certain notes because the song is not sung on a theater stage. In fact since movie songs are recorded in a studio, I think the vocal performance has a chance to be that much better than live theater singing.

I think the one of the things most are concerned about is the songs being rearranged to make them easier for Taylor to "handle". Those breathy barely there pop/folk vocals which have given her a shockingly great pop music career simply aren't enough for the role she has undertaken. I hope, as do others, she has something in reserve. BTW, "Safe and Sound" did nothing to give me any more confidence in Taylor's vocal ability.
__________________
Duckman: I'll never forget the last thing my father said to me...
Cornfed: "Careful son, I don't think the safety's on"?
Duckman: BEFORE THAT!!!
gblews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 06:14 AM   #108
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader
 
Vanyel's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

gblews wrote: View Post
DigificWriter wrote: View Post
I just rewatched the Lea Salonga On My Own clip, and while I don't know if Taylor could hit the notes that the song reaches when sung live on stage, the song will likely be staged/arranged slightly differently because of the differences between film and live on-stage theater, so even if it turns out that Taylor can't hit precisely the same notes one would in a live theatrical production of Les Mis, I think she'll still be able to perform the song well and without any difficulties.
I don't see how her singing the song in a movie would prevent Taylor from hitting certain notes because the song is not sung on a theater stage. In fact since movie songs are recorded in a studio, I think the vocal performance has a chance to be that much better than live theater singing.

I think the one of the things most are concerned about is the songs being rearranged to make them easier for Taylor to "handle". Those breathy barely there pop/folk vocals which have given her a shockingly great pop music career simply aren't enough for the role she has undertaken. I hope, as do others, she has something in reserve. BTW, "Safe and Sound" did nothing to give me any more confidence in Taylor's vocal ability.
Things might be worse for Swift. LINK
On 27 December 2011, Jackman confirmed that rehearsals for the cast members are scheduled to begin in January 2012 and principal photography will commence in March. Later, a source confirmed that the cast will have to sing the songs live during filming, rather than using pre-recorded tracks.
LINK confirming that the cast will not be prerecording their singing. Thinking about it, it's not a big surprise, There is no spoken dialogue in the musical
__________________
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 05:03 PM   #109
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

gblews wrote: View Post
I don't see how her singing the song in a movie would prevent Taylor from hitting certain notes because the song is not sung on a theater stage. In fact since movie songs are recorded in a studio, I think the vocal performance has a chance to be that much better than live theater singing.

I think the one of the things most are concerned about is the songs being rearranged to make them easier for Taylor to "handle". Those breathy barely there pop/folk vocals which have given her a shockingly great pop music career simply aren't enough for the role she has undertaken. I hope, as do others, she has something in reserve. BTW, "Safe and Sound" did nothing to give me any more confidence in Taylor's vocal ability.
As Vanyel pointed out, the performers will be doing their songs LIVE, which is why I suggested that the filmmakers might be best served in staging On My Own using the slower and lower key of Fantine's Death/Come to Me in lieu of staging it traditionally (the two melodies are the same, but when it is used for On My Own, it's sped up considerably), because it would then minimize any issues that might arise should Swift be unable to hit the range of notes on On My Own exactly, but wouldn't significantly alter the song in any way.

I've noted this before, but I come from a very musically-inclined and vocally gifted family (both immediate and extended), and have personally seen two of my younger sisters sing songs that, on the surface, seem wrong for their voices - based on how they traditionally sing - and sing them flawlessly with very little to no alteration/re-arranging required. My sisters are both very talented, but they are nowhere nearly as talented as Taylor Swift, and it is for this reason that I personally believe that she'll be able to handle the role of Eponine without any problems whatsoever.

Having said that, Les Mis does have what I would consider to be a built-in 'safety mechanism' on the off-chance that Taylor can't hit the notes normally required for On My Own.

That 'safety mechanism' is the slower-keyed version of the OMO melody that is used for the song Fantine's Death (Come to Me). That slower-keyed melody is well within Taylor Swift's traditional vocal range.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."

Last edited by DigificWriter; January 23 2012 at 05:25 PM.
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 04:32 AM   #110
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader
 
Vanyel's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

Slowing the song down is a problem.

I'll use The Sound of Music as an example. The Lonely Goatherd, is an upbeat fast song, but it's also used as the song for dancing the Ländler. It's slowed down an slightly rearranged, but the same song. If someone with a weaker voice than Julie Andrews or Mary Martin had to have The Lonely Goatherd slowed down to accommodate their range, the Ländler would have also needed to be slowed down to distinguish it from The Lonely Goatherd.

The same would apply with On My Own, otherwise if it's slowed down it'll be a reprise of Fantine's Death (Come To Me).
__________________
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 08:34 AM   #111
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

^ I disagree, because the two songs - Fantine's Death and On My Own - have completely different lyrics. By the logic you're operating on, there are a number of songs in Les Mis that would be considered reprises.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."

Last edited by DigificWriter; January 24 2012 at 09:27 AM.
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 08:59 AM   #112
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader
 
Vanyel's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"


I can see your point however, On My Own, sped up and lound and clear to show the emotions of Éponine, her revolation that Marius never loved her more than as a friend. Slowed down and in a lower key it works to show Fantine's despair and her momentary delusional state (Hows she calling to Cossette, likes she's near by), and her asking Valjean to take and care for Cossette.

And has been said before On My Own is the song many singers hope to be able to belt out with the emotion and power (Like my favorite Éponine, Lea Salonga) to really prove their pipes.
__________________
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker

Last edited by Vanyel; January 24 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 09:23 AM   #113
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

To me, the lyrics are what conveys the emotional intent and resonance of On My Own, moreso than the speed of the melody. Having said that, though, I do firmly believe that Taylor is going to be able to sing the song as it is meant to be sung, and only mentioned the idea of it being slowed down as an observation and as a sort of 'last-ditch' option on the off-chance that Taylor - as talented as she is - is physically unable to hit the notes on the traditional faster arrangement of OMO.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."

Last edited by DigificWriter; January 24 2012 at 09:25 AM. Reason: de
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 09:40 AM   #114
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader
 
Vanyel's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

DigificWriter wrote: View Post
To me, the lyrics are what conveys the emotional intent and resonance of On My Own, moreso than the speed of the melody.
Now I need to disagree I offer these as proof:


__________________
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 10:10 AM   #115
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

Hmm. I don't expect you to agree with my opinion on this, although I don't know whether or not those clips provide the best example because the second one is really different in more than just melodic speed, whereas, in the case of Les Mis, at least IMO, Fantine's Death and On My Own really are interchangeable melodically.

As an aside, my favorite cast recording of Les Mis is the new live version, because I really like the talent involved, and actually think that the way Rosalind James performs On My Own is a better fit for the lyrics than Lea Salonga's. As good as she is, her version of the song seemed a little bit too fast and high for her, at least to me, and particularly in comparison to her performance(s) in the role that I am most familiar with her in, that being Princess Jasmine.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."

Last edited by DigificWriter; January 24 2012 at 10:28 AM.
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 12:12 AM   #116
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader
 
Vanyel's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

At the end of the day (no pun intended) if Swift cannot sing the song as written, the real built in safety net is to have someone overdub her voice. That's the true built in safety net for ALL movie musicals and a similar technique is used in live productions. Audrey Hepburn, sang and recorded tracks for My Fair Lady which were not used. Rita Moreno did not sing A Boy Like That/I Have A Love in West Side Story. And on stage, the actress playing Christine in The Phantom of the Opera, prerecords the highest, and final, note (E6) in the song The Phantom of the Opera.

My only real point in choosing those two versions of I Want to Hold Your Hand, was to show that it's not just the lyrics, the speed of the song does do a lot to set the mood.

ETA: My favorite is the 10 Year Anniversary Concert. I want The Complete Symphonic Recording.
__________________
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 05:29 AM   #117
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral
 
Location: West Haven, UT, USA
Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

Since I already mentioned the live cast album, I thought I'd offer a full review since there's not a whole lot to talk about re: the film.

If it wasn't already evident from my comments concerning On My Own and the actress who performs it, this is not an album featuring the cast of the 25th Anniversary Concert, but instead features the cast of the 2010 U.K. Touring production. In addition to the already-mentioned Rosalind James as Eponine, the cast features John Owen-Jones as Valjean, Earl Carpenter as Javert, Gareth Gates as Marius, Ashley Artus as Monsieur Thenardier, Lynne Wilmot ad Madame Thenardier, Madalena Alberto as Fantine, Katie Hall as Cosette, John Robyns as Enjolras, Toby Prynne as Gavroche, and David Lawrence as the Bishop of Digne.

I've already mentioned that I really like Rosalind James' performance as Eponine, but John Owen-Jones is another standout. I really like his performances on Who am I? and Bring Him Home.

Earl Carpenter does a great job as Javert, although I think he's at his strongest when he's singing alongside other members of the cast. Having said that, his rendition of Stars is by no means weak.

Gareth Gates' voice has a great quality to it that meshes very well with Katie Hall and Rosalind James' voices, and is a perfect fit for Empty Chairs at Empty Tables.

Madalena Alberto, like Javert, seems to be at her strongest when she's singing with others, but she still does a great job with I Dreamed a Dream.

My favorite song in the musical overall is Do You Hear the People Sing? but my favorite song in this production is On My Own, followed by Who am I?.

In conclusion, I really like this version of the show. The cast is great, and the arrangement and orchestration of the music perfectly fits their voices and performances.
__________________
Starbuck: We're all friendlies. So, let's just... be friendly.

"Ze director's cut is ze film you saw in ze theater."
DigificWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2012, 04:08 AM   #118
Kestrel
Vice Admiral
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Location: East Tennessee
Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

Soo... according to Wiki Colm Wilkinson has been cast as the Bishop. If true (it's from The Daily Mail ) how about a big "YAY!!!"
__________________
"If Romeo had just masturbated a couple of times a week he would have saved both those nice families a heap of trouble."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27 2012, 07:10 AM   #119
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader
 
Vanyel's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

That'll be cool. Too bad they don't put musicals out a couple of years after they were on stage, like they used to. I'd of like to have seen Colm Wilkinson revise his role as Valjean.
__________________
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28 2012, 09:10 AM   #120
Vanyel
The Imperious Leader
 
Vanyel's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Re: "King's Speech" director to take on "Les Miserables"

Swift has begun rehearsals with the rest of the rest of cast.

An official announcement should be coming soon.

LINK

I finally saw Valentine's Day, to see how well she could act, and I was not impressed.
__________________
Imogene, get serious! Who do you think you're talking to?! I've known you for 27 years, and all I can say is, if God was giving out sexually transmitted diseases to people as a punishment for sinning, then you would be at the free clinic all the time! And so would the rest of us!
--Julia Sugarbaker
Vanyel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.