MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old January 23 2012, 12:37 AM   #136
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

1. My Week With Marilyn (B-)
2. Fantasia 2000 (B+)
3. Blade Runner (B)
4. The Hidden Fortress (A-)
5. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (B+)

The second best young-boy-with-a-key-that-relates-to-his-dead-father movie of the year.

I don't there's been a more divisive film this Oscar season than Stephen Daldry's fourth directorial effort, an adaptation of a popular (though also controversial) novel that I haven't read. People seem to either find this movie extremely manipulative (with an extra dose for people who think it's exploiting 9/11). I don't think it's exploitive; if you don't like sentiment, you might not like this. I thought that the movie's main relationships, between the kid and his mother and grandfather, are both done very well, and the climactic moments feel genuine.

The main challenge of adapting this novel (from what I've read about it, and from flipping through it in the store) is the main character. The novel is told first-person by a kid with an Aspergers-like personality ("the results weren't definitive", as he says in this movie, we shields the author from having to answer for how accurate the kid's depiction is); like a lot of modern fiction, it's heavily internal. The kid's personality has been splitting viewers too. This is a much tougher job for a child actor than most roles, and I think Thomas Horner acquits himself pretty well.

Cinema: 2
DVD: 3
Computer: 0

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 01:42 AM   #137
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
The second best young-boy-with-a-key-that-relates-to-his-dead-father movie of the year.
Wait, what?
There is another with the same general plot device?
What is it called?
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23 2012, 01:54 AM   #138
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Hugo.

- Homer Simpson
Old January 23 2012, 02:52 AM   #139
Goliath
Vice Admiral

1. War Horse (B-)
2. The Woman in the Window (A-)
3. The Last Exorcism (B)
4. The Guard (A)
5. Groundhog Day (A-)

Theatres: 1
Home Video: 4 (+1)
Old January 23 2012, 08:43 PM   #140
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

Just startin' a new job (orientation was this mornin') at a movie theater, and the perks include free movies (after my first payday), so I'll be seein' a lot more movies in the theater in the very near future!

And still signin' up for movie screenin' passes, too, since I don't know what kind of schedule I'll be on yet...
Old January 23 2012, 10:13 PM   #141
nvek86
Commander

10. Burke & Hare

Hey, a film where Andy Serkis is allowed to show his real face! It's mostly a quite funny film (I didn't like the part about the production of MacBeth) with a lot of very good actors - I especially wish they had shown more of Tim Curry's character.

And the card they showed at the beginning ("This is a true story - except for the parts that are not") should be mandatory for all "based on a true story" films.
Old January 23 2012, 10:26 PM   #142
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

^

Ya can see the real Andy Serkis in Peter Jackson's King Kong, too.
Old January 24 2012, 04:24 AM   #143
Goliath
Vice Admiral

1. War Horse (B-)
3. The Last Exorcism (B)
4. The Guard (A)
5. Groundhog Day (B+)
6. Mildred Pierce (A)

Having recently watched the five-hour HBO miniseries, I decided to re-watch this very fine old film noir. This time, I was impressed by the way they condensed the same story down to a fast-paced 111 minutes: not a moment or a line of dialogue was wasted. The tragic tale of a mother's obsessive, self-destructive love for her undeserving fille fatale daughter was just as poignant, and a great deal of suspense was created by framing the principal narrative with a murder mystery. Joan Crawford won a well-deserved best Actress Oscar for playing the title role.

Home Video: 5 (+1)
Old January 24 2012, 04:49 AM   #144
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

6. Lost City Raiders: C+

This Direct to DVD film starring James Brolin and Ian Somerhalder is essentially Waterworld meets Indiana Jones with a dose of DaVinci Code.
The world has succumbed to global warming leaving many treasures now hundreds of feet below the water in the once glorious cities of the past. Our crew, led by Brolin's, father figure Jake Kubiak hunts for treasure with his two sons. Unbeknownst to his sons Jake has a deal with the "New Vatican" to find an ancient scepter that allegedly has the power to reverse the floodwaters of the world. I give them points for putting together an above average story but the action sequences using the 'slo mo' technique didn't work. The choreography on the fight scenes was bad. The eye candy was nice at least.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24 2012, 03:46 PM   #145
Ometiklan
Commander

Rating scale: 1, don't bother; 2, see if you get the chance; 3, definitely see

1. The Joneses: 2
Entertaining, and fun at first, as an interesting take on a family drama. Then turns darker, and the ending didn't do much for me.

2. 13 Assassins: 3
Excellent. Like a modern 7 Samurai.

3. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy: 2
Excellent acting, but like much of LeCarre's stuff, I found the reveal to be more like "oh, that guy (shrug)" than "OH, that guy!" Benedict Cumberbatch was awesome, and Gary Oldman was too, as ususal.

4. Brick: 3
Interesting noir set at a SoCal high school. Very well done on a shoestring budget.

5. Tucker and Dale vs. Evil: 3
Hilarious, probably my favorite of this year. Tucker's and Dale's descriptions of the deaths of the two college students just destroyed me with laughter.

6. The Italian Job (1969): 1
Though Michael Caine is great, I just couldn't get past the very 60s vibe of the movie. Reminds me exactly of the equally painful cinematography/music/approach of Ocean's 12.

7. The Escapist: 2
Interesting, well acted, but just not great.

8. The Fighter: 2
A good biopic/fight movie, but "Warrior" was better and similar.

9. The Good, The Bad, The Weird: 2
A Chinese take on "The Good the Bad and the Ugly". Fun with decent action pieces. The film would have been great except the final chase was not as well done as the rest, and I didn't feel there was any real tension/animosity between "The Good" and "The Weird" to make the Mexican standoff at the end any good at all.

10. Hot Tub Time Machine: 2
Some fun; time travel can be entertaining, but overall nothing special here.

11. Morning Glory: 3
Funny, with good performances from the whole cast (Harrison Ford actually impresses for once in a long while), and McAdams is very charismatic (and beautiful).

12. Bronson: 1
Interesting. Tom Hardy is great, but the film just didn't get me like I expected based on all the praise I have seen.

13. Harry Brown: 2
Michael Caine revenge movie. Well done, but not top tier.

14. Shutter Island: 2
Like Bronson, I went in expecting a lot based on comments of others. I don't know if the twist is supposed to be figured out as you are watching it, but I figured out where the movie was going and instead of feeling the tension/dramatic irony of knowing more than the character I was really just frustrated watching him catch up. And what is with Mark Ruffalo's character's non-action at the end???

15. Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans: 2
A pretty good performance from Nicolas cage. Overall only a decent movie.

16. Exam: 2
Very well done with a good premise and setup. Like many such "characters vs. each other" movies, some actions are over-the-top unrealistic, and the logic contortions that are needed to explain the story at the end are almost unsupportable.

17. Haywire: 2
A decent action movie. Gina is hot and very capable of carrying the action. The acting mostly came from a good supporting cast. All done in a very Soderberg style. (Come to think of it, very similar to Ocean's 12, but with better visual and music choices.)

18. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol: 2
Dissapointing, again compared to what I had heard about it. The action is good. The story around Kurt Hendricks makes no sense (does Ethan know him or not?), and Jeremy Renner's character's story/backstory makes little sense and is paper thin. I think a lot of editing (and maybe some last minute major script rewrites) gutted a lot of this movie.
Ometiklan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 02:24 AM   #146
Goliath
Vice Admiral

1. War Horse (B-)
3. The Last Exorcism (B)
4. The Guard (A)
5. Groundhog Day (B+)
6. Mildred Pierce (A)
7. Star Wars Uncut: Director's Cut (B)

This was fun to watch, and even impressive at times. My hat is off to everyone involved. I probably wouldn't watch it again, though.

Home Video: 5
Computer: 1 (+1)
Old January 25 2012, 05:23 AM   #147
CaptainCanada
Admiral

1. My Week With Marilyn (B-)
2. Fantasia 2000 (B+)
3. Blade Runner (B)
4. The Hidden Fortress (A-)
5. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (B+)
6. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (A+)

Revisited this 2003 gem, which I saw in theatres when it came out, but haven't since (sadly, Peter Weir has only made one other movie since then, which I still haven't seen, but I plan to).

Weir's depiction of life at sea in the golden age of sail is magnificent, and really the movie's main drawing point; it's more a travelogue of a sea voyage then it is a thriller or an adventure movie. When The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo came out earlier this year, I know David Fincher talked about creating a franchise for adults; Weir was trying to do that here, but sadly it didn't fly, though we're left with one great movie (between this and Pirates of the Caribbean, 2003 was a great year for naval action). Minor nit I guess is that the otherwise naturalistic tone of the movie veers into somewhat stilted ideological clashes between Aubrey and Maturnin once or twice (and Maturnin's sulking about Aubrey calling off their visit to the Galapagos the first time makes him look like an utter ninny, whereas I think the movie wants us to feel he's been done wrong).

Russell Crowe and Paul Bettany are both great as the leads, and the host of actors playing the rest of the cast fit together well, even if I couldn't say I easily remembered their names. Lord Blakeney is the standout of the rest of the crew. Also, watching this movie made me wonder what Billy Boyd has been up to since this movie and Lord of the Rings. The answer, per the IMDB: not a lot.

Cinema: 2
Home Video: 4

- Homer Simpson
Old January 25 2012, 03:15 PM   #148
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

6. "Super 8" (2011) Directed By J.J. Abrams (Starring Kyle Chandler, Joel Courtney, Elle Fanning) (A) I saw this film last summer and didn't really have a chance to do a review and will do a quick one here. This film will be on my top ten films of 2011 list. Just a superb movie that manages to capture I think what a Steven Speilberg fairy tale 70's/80's film is. It also took me back to my child hood. Watching films with my mom and brother as a kid. We didn't go to a lot of films but I have fond memories of the ones we did go see, and I really got emotional during this film a few times as it reminded me of that. This film is a total homage to Speilberg's classic films. The acting from the kids is spectacular and compelling at times. The almost kind of nostalgic setting of the late 70s. It reminds me of a really great family film mixed with an almost serial type of feel. Aghh. I'm rambling. This is why I haven't done a review of this film because there are all kinds of different emotions that this movie conjures up in me. Just a wonderful film. This is probably my second favourite film of Abrams, the first being "Star Trek" of course. I really enjoyed every aspect of this movie.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 05:27 PM   #149
Agent Richard07
Admiral

16. My Sister's Keeper: (✩✩✩✩½) Starring Cameron Diaz. This one is about a family who has to cope with one of their children who's dying of cancer and another one who wants medical emancipation at the age of 11 because she doesn't want to be a guinea pig anymore. The lawyer she seeks out is played by Alec Baldwin. It's a good movie that bounces around to different points in their lives. I like that it's not sappy. The characters have ups, downs and mundane moments in between, like people in real life would.

17. Valkyrie: (✩✩✩½) Tom Cruise as Tom Cruise with an eye patch, out to kill Hitler. Good engaging movie with Tom Cruise cruisin' as only Tom could.

18. The Anderson Tapes: (✩✩✩) 1971 movie starring Sean Connery. He plays Anderson, a man who gets out of prison and decides to assemble a team in order to rob a high class apartment complex in New York. The movie's title comes from the fact that everything Anderson does, from initial planning to the actual heist is being recorded and observed by various agencies. This movie is supposed to be a commentary on surveilance. I thought it was alright. The movie also features a young Christopher Walken, who I didn't recognize at first.

19. Jack Goes Boating: (✩✩✩½) Directed by and starring Philip Seymour Hoffman. Hoffman plays Jack, a shy guy who's set up on a date and prepares by taking cooking classes so he can cook the meal, and swimming lessons in preparation for a boating trip come summer. On the side are Jack's two friends, a couple who are having problems of their own just as his relationship is budding. I found it to be an average but enjoyable movie.

20. Margin Call: (✩✩✩½) In 2008, on the eve of the financial crisis, traders and higher-ups at a firm in New York discover that their company is about to collapse. They take measures to mitigate the disaster any way they can even if it means dumping their problems onto unsuspecting investors. This one features an all-star cast that includes Kevin Spacey, Paul Bettany, Demi Moore, Zachary Quinto, Jerrey Irons, Mary McDonnell, Simon Baker and Stanley Tucci. The movie was engaging, but not too intense.

21. Away We Go: (✩✩✩½) A couple with a baby on the way travel to various cities trying to decide where to settle down. Their various stops invlove meeting with old friends and family who are an interesting mix of people. Good movie.

22. Superman & Batman: Apocalypse: (✩✩✩✩) Another take on Kara Zor-El's arrival on Earth and journey to become Supergirl. Although this is titled "Superman & Batman", it features Wonder Woman to round out the big three. Like a lot of animated movies, this one is well done. Two issues though... 1) Kara adapted to life as a young American girl a little too easily with her shopping and the eating of a hotdog, and 2) They had the Kent farm attacked before we found out what happened to Martha and Jonathan and I found that distracting.

23. Pandorum: (✩✩½) Alien-like movie about a crew who wakes up from suspended animation and has to fight off creatures in a dark and dingy ship. The movie is dull, but it really picks up after about an hour and has a pretty good ending. There were some good ideas here but they were poorly exectuted.

At the Theatre: 0
On DVD/Blu-Ray: 6
On TV: 15
On Demand: 2
Off the Internet: 0
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25 2012, 08:12 PM   #150
Harvey
Admiral

15. Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (B+)

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie: I know fans have complained that This Island Earth isn't bad enough to be featured here, but from what I've seen (only in the context of this film) it's pretty awful. The riffs here are pretty good (although, like always, some miss) and the Satellite of Love segments are some of the best the show's ever done.

Theatres: 5
Home Video: 9 +1
Computer: 1

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote